What's the REAL cost of your salt mix and how many gallons does it make? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How heavily does cost of salt weigh-in on your salt mix choice?

• The cheapest deal possible for me.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I'll spend a couple of extra bucks.

Votes: 137 56.6%
  • I don't care about the cost.

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • Other (comment your thoughts)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 5.23.55 PM.png

When you can watch the video you should Randy makes some good points and commentary in the video.

Looking at that chart----

I don't know about the cost numbers on other salts but I pay on average $40 for a 200g box of IO. That's 20 cents per gallon which is basically half the cost of what is listed.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at that chart----

I don't know about the cost numbers on other salts but I pay on average $40 for a 200g box of IO. That's 20 cents per gallon which is basically half the cost of what is listed.

I agree with your sentiment overall. However it's only 20 cents a gallon if you assume it makes 200 gallons at 35ppt, which it does not. It only makes 170 gallons. At prices often available (low 30's) it's just under 23 cents a gallon.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While negligible I'm sure, I'm curious if you subtracted the weight of the packaging (bags) from the total weight of remaining salt for the math? I can't imagine it would make much if any difference, but I'm curious.

Great video!

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using Two Little Fishies Accurasea 1 Salt mix. I wish that one was tested. I am liking the info though. Wondering if I should make a switch. Great info none the less.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with your sentiment overall. However it's only 20 cents a gallon if you assume it makes 200 gallons at 35ppt, which it does not. It only makes 170 gallons. At prices often available (low 30's) it's just under 23 cents a gallon.

Thanks for clarifying. I haven't tested out the actual amount.......it's still much less expensive and performs consistently over decades of use for acropora dominant systems. I don't supplement the new mix batches or make an effort to drop alk levels.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the rundown @randyBRS

Why did you leave out the AquaForest salts? I don't personally use them but I know that AF is a popular brand.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying. I haven't tested out the actual amount.......it's still much less expensive and performs consistently over decades of use for acropora dominant systems. I don't supplement the new mix batches or make an effort to drop alk levels.
Same here.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While negligible I'm sure, I'm curious if you subtracted the weight of the packaging (bags) from the total weight of remaining salt for the math? I can't imagine it would make much if any difference, but I'm curious.

Great video!

Are you asking me?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and thanks for the info. It seems like my two favorite salt mixes (Red Sea blue bucket and Tropic Marin Pro Reef) are right in there pricewise with just about everything else. That's good information to have when I move up to a larger aquarium.....

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who doesn't stock up on salt and just buys one bucket at a time they can probably justify spending more on the more expensive salts. Especially if they are closer to their actual tank parameters. For someone who buys 1 year or more of salt at a time at heavily discounted rates the savings is a lot more. If you have money and space to store salt it really does help to buy in bulk just so you don't have to worry about it since unless you are running triton or are just lazy you're always going to need salt.

I bought 4 boxes of IO at $32.99 - it seems like the actual price of instant ocean has gone up since, maybe we will see these prices again maybe we won't either way I don't have to worry for 2019. I really don't understand how it's profitable to sell at that price. The boxes contain 25% more salt then the bucket, while I didn't weigh them going by this I can make 174 gallons per box which works out to just under 19 cents a gallon or $7.58 for the 40 gallons a month which is actually just slightly less salt then I use per month. Doing a small weekly water change I can add it in as is without a significant swing, but if I ever have to do a large water change I will have to alter the parameters of IO at least the alkalinity anyway. If I didn't plan this far ahead I'd probably just buy a bucket of Red Sea blue bucket every couple of months.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I bought 4 boxes of IO at $32.99 - it seems like the actual price of instant ocean has gone up since, maybe we will see these prices again maybe we won't either way I don't have to worry for 2019."

Yeah, I ordered a couple boxes of IO at $38 on Amazon shipped to my door. Now I wish I would ordered more as it appears IO has set a MAPP and I don't see it anywhere for under $51.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I ordered a couple boxes of IO at $38 on Amazon shipped to my door. Now I wish I would ordered more as it appears IO has set a MAPP and I don't see it anywhere for under $51.

There is no MAP set for Instant Ocean; it always fluctuates all over the place. I buy a box whenever it's around $40 which happens ever 2-3 months.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no MAP set for Instant Ocean; it always fluctuates all over the place. I buy a box whenever it's around $40 which happens ever 2-3 months.

I thought I read that they had indeed set a MAP for selling that salt online just recently. You know I read it on the internet so it HAS TO BE TRUE! ;)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read that they had indeed set a MAP for selling that salt online just recently. You know I read it on the internet so it HAS TO BE TRUE! ;)

I haven't seen a MAP anywhere but that doesnt mean it hasnt happened.

I was just looking at the BRS site and the 160g and 200g box are the same price; guess that would change the total cost just a wee bit too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a decades long IO use. I tried a few others over the years with regret. IO is super consistent, never has any metals in it and usually will be on sale in the $30-35 range at least once a year. It is rare that some of the best stuff is also the cheapest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I go for quality over cost. The water is the heart of the system and we are trying to duplicate the ocean environment.

I do look for sales but will pay more for the better brand

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks JDowns for providing the table.

Itd be great if the information in these videos could be made available in a standard text form as well. Its an inherently superior format
1. far faster to extract the information you need
2. can be searched easily (you can't control F on a video)
3. can be indexed by search engines effectively.

I fear a lot of information on the modern web is falling into the black hole of un-indexed videos.. (not to mention many of us simply skip any content thats presented in video format)

But the info is great, thanks!

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is I just got back from the LFS and overheard the owner quote $1.50 per gallon for his saltwater. I did not try to do the math but it sure seemed high to me and judging by the video it turns out to indeed be quite high.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of them are close except for IO. Even with the inflated price of IO, it's ~20% cheaper than all the others. And it does what the rest of them do. You can easily get IO for much cheaper than what is listed in this video. You can make it for under 23 cents a gallon, which is >50% cheaper than all the others. I've used many salts and none of them have ever made any difference. So I use IO.

Same here.. I do try others but have always ended back up with IO...
It has been made so long that it is such a consistent salt from batch to batch. A couple on that list I have had issues with...
I will have over 20 tanks in my basement fish room so it is a significant cost savings too.. I now have to look for good sales...

Last edited:
Back