What's the REAL cost of your salt mix and how many gallons does it make? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How heavily does cost of salt weigh-in on your salt mix choice?

• The cheapest deal possible for me.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I'll spend a couple of extra bucks.

Votes: 137 56.6%
  • I don't care about the cost.

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • Other (comment your thoughts)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!

Well they finally let me try my hand at a BRStv Investigates! In this one we tested how many gallons you really get from a bag/bucket of salt tested at a salinity we all pretty much use (35ppt/1.026)

On top of that, we compare the cost per gallon for those volumes and then use that cost in comparison on a semi-average tank size getting 10% water changes each week.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost doesn't matter. At these price differences if it did, then I would just swap a venti for a grande one day a week. Biggest thing for me is a brand that mixes clear and consistent. Dealing with crud in the barrel with some mixes simply costs more money if you value your time and factor in cleaning materials., those points far out way the very little you save with other brands.

This is why I prefer HW Marine Mix. Mixes to my parameters without any additions, except when I start to see Bryopsis I'll bump the already high Mag with Brightwell to keep that at bay.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video BTW. Interesting to see most of the brands pretty darn close to each other in gallons/per/mix cost.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost doesn't matter. At these price differences if it did, then I would just swap a venti for a grande one day a week. Biggest thing for me is a brand that mixes clear and consistent. Dealing with crud in the barrel with some mixes simply costs more money if you value your time and factor in cleaning materials., those points far out way the very little you save with other brands.

This is why I prefer HW Marine Mix. Mixes to my parameters without any additions, except when I start to see Bryopsis I'll bump the already high Mag with Brightwell to keep that at bay.

I was reading this and agreeing and then I saw "HW Marine Mix" and you lost me there buddy. lol If cost truly doesn't matter then you should be using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif. You will never see a more vibrant healthy tank & crystal clear water. Bio-Actif was a game-changer when it came out but never took off due to its cost. If I were a rich man, which I'm not, I'd use nothing else and I have personally used virtually ever brand on the market in a profession setting in the aquarium industry.
For my limited budget, it's instant ocean all the way. It only takes about 30 seconds with a rag to wipe out residue.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading this and agreeing and then I saw "HW Marine Mix" and you lost me there buddy. lol If cost truly doesn't matter then you should be using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif. You will never see a more vibrant healthy tank & crystal clear water. Bio-Actif was a game-changer when it came out but never took off due to its cost. If I were a rich man, which I'm not, I'd use nothing else and I have personally used virtually ever brand on the market in a profession setting in the aquarium industry.
For my limited budget, it's instant ocean all the way. It only takes about 30 seconds with a rag to wipe out residue.

I had looked at the Bio Actif, but the additions of carbon dosing and it being best suited for ULNS turned me off. I run N/P at around 10-15 / 0.5-0.1. So not exactly a ULNS.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a chart so I don’t need to watch a video? Awful internet

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 5.23.55 PM.png

When you can watch the video you should Randy makes some good points and commentary in the video.

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it meets the parameters I like, I’ll pay whatever it costs. Having to dose salt mix sucks!
At the risk of sounding too ignorant, what parameters? I’ve only been concerned with salinity. I buy my water at a LFS.

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving for the auto aqua water changing system. I currently use Red Sea but I find it doesnt seem to do well sitting for long periods of time.

I will soon be interested in a salt I can mix in a Brute can on a weekend and top off the following weekend without sediment gunking up the bottom of my bucket.

A few dollars a month for that convenience will be well worth it.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of sounding too ignorant, what parameters? I’ve only been concerned with salinity. I buy my water at a LFS.

When a mixes alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium mixes close to your tank parameters. That way you don't have to supplement the mix or add acid to drop the alkalinity.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of them are close except for IO. Even with the inflated price of IO, it's ~20% cheaper than all the others. And it does what the rest of them do. You can easily get IO for much cheaper than what is listed in this video. You can make it for under 23 cents a gallon, which is >50% cheaper than all the others. I've used many salts and none of them have ever made any difference. So I use IO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using IO for over a decade; never had any reason to switch. That it’s cheaper (particularly if you buy the big box rather than the tub) is a plus.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS and BRS Investigates Team: Great concept to test, and as always thanks for making well produced, informative and interesting videos.
A while ago you guys mentioned you were going to conduct an experiment on whether much increased alkalinty or calcium levels had any true impact on the rate of coral growth. Has that experiment concluded? When do you expect to put that information out?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back