What's the secret to finding saltwater fish - LFS selection is not great

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have a list of fish I want to add to my tank and know I want to add some earlier in the sequence, I am trying to find them so I can get maybe 4-6 fish in my quarantine system. I have visited seven local stores (within 100 miles) and I am not finding much of a selection. Several of the fish on my stocking list are wrasses. So far I have only found two and they were not ones on my list.

Even if I try LiveAquaria and saltwaterfish.com, which I am hoping to avoid, many of the fish are out of stock.

SO...how to you recommend I source and purchase the fish I want for my tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have a list of fish I want to add to my tank and know I want to add some earlier in the sequence, I am trying to find them so I can get maybe 4-6 fish in my quarantine system. I have visited seven local stores (within 100 miles) and I am not finding much of a selection. Several of the fish on my stocking list are wrasses. So far I have only found two and they were not ones on my list.

Even if I try LiveAquaria and saltwaterfish.com, which I am hoping to avoid, many of the fish are out of stock.

What fish are you looking for? Live Aquaria has an “email in stock notification” which works like a charm.

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to look live in Tampa. Have you tried Fish and other ICHTY stuff? I personally think the Tampa Bay area is a great place for reef stores. I am sure you know, but the pandemic is making it hard to get fish too.

Good luck!

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa has to have local fish stores. What about Ft Myers?
I have visited four stores in Sarasota, six stores in Tampa, Two stores in Fort Myers,two stores in Cape Coral, two stores in Bradenton, one in Bonita Springs, three near Orlando, two in Ft.Lauderdale, one in Jacksonville....and looking for more.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the fish? there are a lot of vendors online if you cant get your LFS to help. NYaquatic is one i have used a few times... with good results. there are so many... but yes shop around.. some vendors are better than others... and pricing of course is very important. the same fish could be $30, $130, $1300... depending where you look.. (which of course makes no sense).

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special order is the best way. Odds are what you’re looking for isn’t super popular. Stores tend to only stock the super popular stuff with the occasional odd ball

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use Bluezoo

I had a similar problem as many of the stores near me all had same selection. I found Blue Zoo Aquatics and they have a great selection and every fish I get from them is healthy. They are my main place to go for everything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back