What's the TRUE value of this relationship and what do they mean to you?

Do you have a local "hobby" friend you can call on when you need them?

• YES

Votes: 255 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 135 19.5%
  • I wish!

Votes: 303 43.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We should begin with this question. How many times have they saved your behind? :)

LOCAL REEFING FRIENDS!

Let's talk about them today! Off the top of my head I've listed a few valuable reasons it's great to have a local hobby friend.

1. They provide a friendship in the hobby that no one else could fill.

2. They are able to provide you with "services" that include watching and feeding your tank while you're out of town.

3. They are able to provide you with emergency tank services if needed.

What am I missing and what does having a local friend mean to you? Go ahead and TAG them here or name them with a BIG THANK YOU too!

giphy (7).gif

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None here. I rely on all the great people here for advice. My build is more solid and stable, my RODI is spill proof (ish), my livestock selection is optimized and when I left on my first post build business trip I came on here for advice and got a lot of useful tips to share with my wife who managed my tank just fine.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three. The only one "local" to me is my uncle who lives in town. The other two are @HotRocks and @4FordFamily who are unfortunately 6 hours away, but that hasn't stopped us from hanging out and talking and texting constantly :) but when it comes to emergencys my uncle always comes through

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, @ROCO befriended me years ago when I was starting out and had just joined our local reef club. He taught me a lot and I couldn't begin to say how many frags he's given me down through the years. Still call on him if I come across something and am not sure how to proceed.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to. I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, that has a thriving reefing population, and a strong AZFrag group, and several awesome LFS.

Sadly, 2 years ago I moved to tiny Las Cruces, NM, and other than a Petco (with the nicest SW tanks I've seen in a Petco) I have found no other reefers, andctge nearest LFS is 2 hours away...

So, the R2R community is now my lifeline when I need advice!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in NY, pre kids, I was a member of several local groups. It was great! Had some good aquarium buds and we used to carpool together to events and auctions. I really miss all of them...

Fast forward to now. I live in MA, am older and wrapped up with a busy family. Just myself and R2R. Hopefully I will get some time to meet local folks again...

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me - thats the whole point of having a local reef hobbyist club. Having someone to help , or to talk to about eqipment or livestock, not to mention talking care of your tank when you on vacation is invaluable. A perfect example of this scenario is: I dropped by Radion light into my tank last week- in less than three days I was borrowing a light from a fellow hobbyist, who had an extra, until I could purchase a new light or fix my old light. This fellow hobbyist was met at the local reef club and after getting to know them and have a personal relationship you learn who you can trust in a pinch and who you cannot. Unfortunetly, its gettign harder and harder to have successfull local clubs due to internet ,etc.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily my dad is also a reefer, I got him back into the hobby about 5 years ago... he had a saltwater tank in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up... under gravel filter and hob filters. Lol nothing lived but I remember it. Now hes in love with the technology and the amazing corals he can keep. Were always holding frags of each others colonies as back ups. Only down side is hes an hour and a half away. My other reef buddy is fairly new to the hobby. A guy I work with who made the fresh to salt jump and had done really well with it. so i got 2 people so far to depend on if needed.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nick and I started a little group in Springfield il. @Mike T IL is part of that group. A few frags have been traded or give away.
That group is who I would call for emergency help.
The other is Zach. We've known each other for a while. He would definitely come to the rescue.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a coincidence.

I just PMd a local guy that is a frequent contributor here as I wanted more local reefer acquaintances. Not so much to cover for me when I am out of town, but just another severe enthusiast to talk reefs with.

Fairfield county Connecticut anyone?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am fortunate when on vacation to have a very experienced aquarist to tend to my tank. Everytime he tends to my tank, I swear the tank looks nicer when I return.
I will forever praise (not so local club members) who took their personal/family time and drive to assist me with transfer to my newest big tank

Go ahead and TAG them here or name them with a BIG THANK YOU too!

This includes local friend : Plainrt and Our WRS club president Ron
Club members and also R2R members: Coral Future and Daedelus

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should begin with this question. How many times have they saved your behind? :)

LOCAL REEFING FRIENDS!

Let's talk about them today! Off the top of my head I've listed a few valuable reasons it's great to have a local hobby friend.

1. They provide a friendship in the hobby that no one else could fill.

2. They are able to provide you with "services" that include watching and feeding your tank while you're out of town.

3. They are able to provide you with emergency tank services if needed.

What am I missing and what does having a local friend mean to you? Go ahead and TAG them here or name them with a BIG THANK YOU too!

giphy (7).gif
Looks like I just joined the other 40% that have no friends. #typical.

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS owner installed my tank. He is very good about helping out afterwards

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like I just joined the other 40% that have no friends. #typical.
Just be patient- Its worth the wait. I told my neighbor to be patient also. Speaking of which, just checked on him . . . . . .

cycle.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back