What's the TRUE value of this relationship and what do they mean to you?

Do you have a local "hobby" friend you can call on when you need them?

• YES

Votes: 255 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 135 19.5%
  • I wish!

Votes: 303 43.7%

• Total voters

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ylreefer amd @Hexabonal are two of my good reefing buddies that are here on R2R. We chat all the time. We’ve got a huge group of local reefers, but not all on here. We keep each other in-the-know on the local scene. Couldn’t survive without them.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 volumes of "The Reef Aquarium" by DelBeek and Sprung ( a little dated sometimes, but invaluable for learning the basics necessary for reefkeeping). The most timely help has come from all the people here on R2R.

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly in my city no...but an hour away in Monterrey (3rd biggest city in Mexico) we´ve a reef club, many good friends there, we make group and bulk buys (coral, fish, salt, resins..), frag swaps, buy costly equipment for common use (PAR meter)

Most of my frags are received and taken care by one or two of those friends and when i go i come back with 2-3 months worth of frags...lol

Also we love to make "carne asada" or barbeque, so we take turns to host meetings and beef/drinks each month, setting up a new aquarium is done fast with the help of 2-3 friends and have someone with knowledge to help you in an emergency if you´re not present is always a big plus!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had a 75 gallon with a nice wood stand. I believe he got 600 for it and other stuff. He bought a larger camera drone with it. He is trying to make some money with it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He bought a larger camera drone with it. He is trying to make some money with it.
Well then, I had better close my drapes ;Wideyed

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dude is @HotRocks and I to him. We are in this foxhole together! :)

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Owner of my Local LFS is my Fish buddy. The man has light years of experience on me.

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None by me. Even aquarium club I belong to I'm about only one who has sw tank. I have 2 fw & one reef, wife hasn't a clue what to do if something goes wrong ( and couldn't care TBH ). ☹

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two both not on R2R,one who has kept reef tanks from the 80 s and was the first person in Dubai to have a marine tank.He is a walking encyclopedea of knowledge every time my tank is not totally right he gets called first.The other one is a person who started out at the same time I did he is good if I need a tank watcher if I am out of town.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, none here. I put the feelers out now and then...but once I drive slow past the glowing blue house in the windowless van...the shades get drawn.

We used to have a reef club, even a separate forum from RC, collaborated with the local pet store/FW club to get good speakers, but the club got dissolved due to lack of interest, family growth, hobbyists moving, etc. Most of the reef activity was up in the Burlington/Montpelier area...1.5 hours away. I think people were impressed when I would drive up to two hours for a get together.

There is a very small local FW group, they don't have much of an online presence, I think they may be an older crowd. They don't even meet regularly during the summer.

ReefParadox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn to friend in a pinch is this forum. I have learned so much from Reef2Reef in my 2 and a half years in this hobby, and always get several good laughs no matter what thread I may be reading at the moment. I really dont have any friends nearby knowledgeable enough about reefing to maintain my tank when we're out of town. I have a Nest camera trained on the tank, and although my wife pretends not to be concerned in the least about the welfare of my tank pets, and refuses to participate in any form of maintenance (this is YOUR hobby!) she's constantly checking on them when we're on vacation. Thankfully my oldest son only lives 10 minutes away and is as dependable as the sunrise to come check on and feed them daily on his way to or from work. More than once when checking the camera, my wife has said "hey check this out, there's lots of bubbles coming out of those thingys", or "I don't see Scooter anywhere". I'll make a call to Matt and shortly he's calling me back, patiently going thru my instructions to find out why the ATO isn't working or checking the tank for a fish inventory. I am grateful to have him nearby.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not on here but my mate who I met 30+ years ago through the hobby will come running if I need any heavy work doing now I'm nearly wheelchair bound and I'm determined to keep my tank running.
And my good wife who drags the barrels of RO water for my ATO as I can't fit my RO filter anywhere near the tank.
Thankfully due to these 2 I can keep going in the hobby.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't the votes for "no" and "I wish" the same?
I voted "No" but "I wish" I did.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back