What's the TRUE value of this relationship and what do they mean to you?

Do you have a local "hobby" friend you can call on when you need them?

• YES

Votes: 255 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 135 19.5%
  • I wish!

Votes: 303 43.7%

• Total voters

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a pretty tight saltwater community in my area ,, our LFS has a web page that we all are active on ,, it you put out a call for help ,,, have questions ,, several would answer the call ,,

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son, brother-in-law and nephew have all started reef tanks since I started mine so we can all share information and help out when more than 2 hands are needed.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father, he started keeping saltwater tanks in the early 90s, I was always captivated by them as a kid, so when I was 12 I got my own SeaClear 15gal half hex all in one nano from "Santa" , then I spent my Xmas money on a new cutting edge (at the time) powercompact retrofit kit.
It soon came to a point where I was taking care of his reef as well as I became way immersed in the hobby. Years later on dive trips we would still both be snorkeling rock walks on the last day to grab bunches of blue leg hermits etc etc back when you still bring a container of water on the plane. Eventually though he became more enthralled with water gardens and plants over the years and no longer keeps saltwater.
I'd say another comrade that has helped me over the years was a former employer/shop owner, always let me rummage through the used equipment/spare parts section looking for pieces that will work for DIY projects, lending me big rubbermaid tubs go use while moving my reef, giving me the hookup on cherry pieces of coral etc etc.

StarshipReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for Reef friends in middle Tennessee!
What's up brother were located in Sumner county always looking for more reefing buddies u should join the MTRC middle Tennessee reef club we have monthly meeting at different Local fish stores and hold events through out the year plus with membership u get a discount at all the LFS

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just getting back into the hobby by happenstance after about 10yrs. Back then RC was the big forum and the local clubs (at the time I was living in Miami) were on fire. People constantly trading and helping each other. I can’t tell you how many tank moves and upgrades I helped with in the 2-3yrs I was reef keeping. How many frags were given to me. How many frags I gave away. How many pieces I traded....

Now? I’m about a half hour out of Orlando. The local club section on r2r is dead. There are a few FB groups but it really feels shady like people are selling drugs rather than frags. People have asked for help and I’ve sent friend requests and messages with no response. I’ve sent out a message to someone I know lives in the area asking if they want an acan because my angel has decided it’s a snack... guy responded but really made no effort. I did meet one guy who sold me a couple frags, he seems like a nice dude.

What changed in these last 10yrs? I’m not sure but my wife is due with twins here by nov 19th (I’m stupidly excited about this) and I’m TERRIFIED of having my mom feed the fish while I’m at the hospital. I see what she does to her animals. I have a feeling an entire tub of pellets are going to go into this tank. Haha.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back