What's the UGLIEST coral you've ever seen for Sale?

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown acro frag

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be weird and say encrusting and/or tabling montipora. A single (usually very visible orange/red) color thing that just gets huge and is impossible to remove. If you don't like a leather, you just rip it out and frag it; if you don't like a monti that's encrusted on a rock, you kinda need to take out the whole rock, and if it's encrusted on bare bottom tank, you better have a chisel.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is kinda into it... well at this point, i guess she has to be. "HEY BABE, How about a 300,000 dollar aquaculture facility?" I had to ease her into that one..
Lucky you to have the support. It is nice when pursuing your dream (my assumption anyway) to have that support.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking as far as ugly corals go I'm gonna go with clove polyps. Don't like them never have they just get dirty and trap detritus and you can't give them the flow to keep them clean.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking as far as ugly corals go I'm gonna go with clove polyps. Don't like them never have they just get dirty and trap detritus and you can't give them the flow to keep them clean.
Oh yeah.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently in florida on an emergency trip, went to a couple LFS near Largo. They had some of the ugliest encrusting corals I have ever seen. Not sure if they were local to florida, but all 3 had the same black and white encrusting coral. And not just a few frag plugs, but an entire table full of these ugly little frags.

So wish I had taken a picture.

I would also agree on the bounce phenomenon. 8 or so years ago, you couldn't give away mushrooms, give it a tumor and the price just went up 100 fold. lol

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently in florida on an emergency trip, went to a couple LFS near Largo. They had some of the ugliest encrusting corals I have ever seen. Not sure if they were local to florida, but all 3 had the same black and white encrusting coral. And not just a few frag plugs, but an entire table full of these ugly little frags.

I would also agree on the bounce phenomenon. 8 or so years ago, you couldn't give away mushrooms, give it a tumor and the price just went up 100 fold. lol
I never go to that place anymore. The staff is mostly guys whose go-to answer is "Uh, I don't know."

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms with tumors I will never understand the bounce trend
Perhaps that fact that they became trendy is off putting to you?

Or is it the wildly colorful growths that bother you?

What if we turned back time and someone determined that these were sitting along side other mushrooms all along, were naturally occurring, and weren’t aberrations?

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol I live in Largo right down Ulmerton from this place, I know exactly what you are talking about. I stopped going there years ago. Ugly corals in general.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s such thing as an “ugly” coral, just as I don’t think there’s such thing as an ugly fish. (All fish were created for a purpose, and I see that purpose in their design)

“Eh coral” on the other hand? Plenty of those. Never got the rage for monti’s. Is it an actual coral? Or just a thin layer of color? ;Facepalm

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s such thing as an “ugly” coral, just as I don’t think there’s such thing as an ugly fish. (All fish were created for a purpose, and I see that purpose in their design)

“Eh coral” on the other hand? Plenty of those. Never got the rage for monti’s. Is it an actual coral? Or just a thin layer of color? ;Facepalm
20210925_152129_HDR.jpg

So my M.M Blenny "Scoot Gordo" isn't ugly?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only ones I really do not get is the Palythoa grandis. Just blah. Also snake polyps. Now, these creatures as animals are of course cool. All of them are, but just ugly.

Kind of like pugs in the dog world. Or sphinx in the cat world.

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I’ve got a cool growth but reddish brown blue ridge coral on a disc developing spires. Also have devils hands - you have to appreciate them for what they are.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back