What's the usable life of a BRS reverse osmosis system?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and started using a BRS 4 Stage Value Plus RO/DI system about 4 years ago. After about a year I upgraded it with the 150 GPH kit. I replace the 4 Stage RO/DI Replacement Filter kits regularly and about 9 months ago I replaced both R/O Membranes.

Lately I've noticed that I need to run the system for 15-20 minutes before the TDS will 0 out. Today I replaced the 4 Stage RO/DI Replacement Filter kit and even after running for 30 minutes, it won't go below 1 TDS. According to the inline meter, it's only 7-8 TDS before and 1 TDS after.

Have I used up this filter system or is there another problem?

Last edited:

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak for the BRS system itself as I have had @AquaFX because they are local and I like to support local, plus they are awesome people, but if I am remember correctly their 3 TDS meter was placed before the membrane, after the membrane, and after the DI. I was told once the membrane is letting more than 10% of the TDS that was coming into the membrane then it is time to change the membrane so if 100 TDS was read before the membrane once the outgoing TDS read 11 you'd replace it. The DI should be replaced when you are getting readings of 1 TDS.

The Filter and Carbon should be rated for gallons that you put through them, and that is total, so make sure to add in the waste water into that number. So 1:3 ratio would 100 gallons clean and 300 gallons waste so 400 total.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak for the BRS system itself as I have had @AquaFX because they are local and I like to support local, plus they are awesome people, but if I am remember correctly their 3 TDS meter was placed before the membrane, after the membrane, and after the DI. I was told once the membrane is letting more than 10% of the TDS that was coming into the membrane then it is time to change the membrane so if 100 TDS was read before the membrane once the outgoing TDS read 11 you'd replace it. The DI should be replaced when you are getting readings of 1 TDS.

The Filter and Carbon should be rated for gallons that you put through them, and that is total, so make sure to add in the waste water into that number. So 1:3 ratio would 100 gallons clean and 300 gallons waste so 400 total.

Thanks, yeah I'm curious what BRS will say. The meter is inline and installed by BRS. It has a before reading of 7-8 TDS and an after reading of 1 TDS. I'm not sure exactly where the before is, but I assume the after is the exit hose into my bucket. The Filter, 1 Micron Carbon and DI Resin are all brand new as of today. In the years I've had it, I've never not got 0 TDS from the exit hose, unless the DI is spent. Then I replace the Filter, Carbon and DI and it's back to 0. This one has me perplexed... I thought it might be the meter, but I have a separate hand held meter and it agrees with the 1 TDS output.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I replaced both RO Membranes with brand new ones and still 1 TDS... So it looks like maybe a bad filter kit from BRS? Anyone else run into this? Maybe a bad Carbon filter or bad DI Resin?

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had to deal with then, but I hear the BRS support team is great so maybe give them a call and see what they say maybe going on. It could be possible that a meter is bad, but they will have good trouble shooting steps and maybe able to send out replacement parts depending on when you ordered.

Today I replaced both RO Membranes with brand new ones and still 1 TDS... So it looks like maybe a bad filter kit from BRS? Anyone else run into this? Maybe a bad Carbon filter or bad DI Resin?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I might suggest is calibrating the TDS meter. I have had them be off before and a calibration packet is like $2.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I might suggest is calibrating the TDS meter. I have had them be off before and a calibration packet is like $2.

The meter’s fine. I verified with a hand held meter I have. I discovered the problem and it’s bad replacement filter kits. I bought two in one order and they’re both bad. I just replaced with a newer kit I bought and it’s back to 0 TDS.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meter’s fine. I verified with a hand held meter I have. I discovered the problem and it’s bad replacement filter kits. I bought two in one order and they’re both bad. I just replaced with a newer kit I bought and it’s back to 0 TDS.

Hi @DivingTheWorld,
Sorry to hear about the issues. If you give our customer service team a call, we'll make it right. To answer your original question, there really isn't a life span of the system itself. Other than a couple of exceptions like the check valve(s) and auto shut off valve, there really aren't any moving parts. The filters, water pressure, and water temperature are the main difference makers here in terms of both longevity and performance.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @DivingTheWorld,
Sorry to hear about the issues. If you give our customer service team a call, we'll make it right. To answer your original question, there really isn't a life span of the system itself. Other than a couple of exceptions like the check valve(s) and auto shut off valve, there really aren't any moving parts. The filters, water pressure, and water temperature are the main difference makers here in terms of both longevity and performance.

Hi, yes I called in this morning and they credited me back for one of the two bad kits.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back