What's the various pieces of equipment a newbie should learn about?

markfleener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, protein skimmer, CO2 scrubber, calcium reactor, Zeovit system, refugium, algae scrubber, dosing pumps (what are those for?), lighting with ramp timer, RO system, ultimately looking for a ultra low maintenance set up that doesn't require water changes and wont cost an arm and a leg, but yeah, the more equipment and stuff I can learn about, the better.

Are frag tanks any easier than bigger set ups or do they require more precise care?

Would you say the Triton system is what I'm looking for?

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, protein skimmer, CO2 scrubber, calcium reactor, Zeovit system, refugium, algae scrubber, dosing pumps (what are those for?), lighting with ramp timer, RO system, ultimately looking for a ultra low maintenance set up that doesn't require water changes and wont cost an arm and a leg, but yeah, the more equipment and stuff I can learn about, the better.

Are frag tanks any easier than bigger set ups or do they require more precise care?

Would you say the Triton system is what I'm looking for?
My recommendation would just to keep it very simple. A tank with a built in overflow to a sump. Some rocks and a little sand. Do weekly 10% water changes. The little maintenance systems can work, but I would do them much later down your reefing career. JMO

I would watch these episodes as a start if you haven’t already.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank are you looking for? I'm running triton on a 150g, its not perfect but for me, is very good. it's not a no water change system, but i do about 80% less. make sure you test requlary.
as for equipment, i would recommend, researching, lights and how may you need and cost of those lights. power heads, again how many you need. if you do decide to run triton, you need dosing pumps, sump with refugium (lighting).. skimmer, and a good quite return pump. where is the sump and DT located? is noise a factor? the quieter the equipment the more it cost.
go check out BRStv on youtube they did a 52weeks of reefer, plus with triton.

nothing is cheap! lol

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads, Lighting, return pump, heater, sump are all basic equipment for a tank. Dosing pumps are what they sound like. A pump to dose additives to the tank. A controller is a real nice piece of equipment. Some people go completely equipment wild and some keep there tanks simple. The BRS videos are a big help in understanding equipment.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a lot of videos on just about any piece of equipment and reefing method.
A good place to start.
Next you will need to ask yourself what do you want your tank to look like? bare or sand, racks or rock, sticks or wavy stuff, ect.....
This will help you in figuring out how much effort you will need to put in.
The no water changes will be something that can be done, but its not for me.
I find it is easier to change some water to keep my tank stable.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this useful Mark, and anything else just ask.

And welcome to R2R as well!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back