Whats the Verdict on the Kessil a360x Refugium Light?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did anyone get this light and how do you like/dislike it? How does it compare to the h380?

Its very pricey for a fuge light and I'm not sure if it needs all the bells and whistles its capable of... unless you are using it for a display refugium.

But for standard on/off use, how does it fare?

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this review between the old H380 and the new a360x refugium and it looks like the h380 gives out almost twice as much par according to the reviewer. He talks about it at the 20:20 mark.

Pricing:
A360x refugium = $450
H380 = $300

At these high end refugiun light prices I would have hoped the new light being $150 more than the old one would be far superior....but its not looking that way.

I love my H380...its an amazing fuge light...so why would Kessil discontinue it for a light that's not as powerful and costs a whopping 50% more!!??

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only light from Kessil that I do not recommend.
Not because it's a bad light, contrary, superb quality but it's not design for environment like sump where you have high evaporation and salt creep.

PAR/Intensity doesn't matter that much for plants aquarium, light are often too strong anyway.
The other reason it's because of the price, it's expansive where you can have something for a 1/4 of the price that would do the job for that specific task.

But if you have the money, the space, good environment go for it!

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having more light intensity for deeper penetration at higher heights. My chaeto gets pretty thick and dense and I have my fuge light raised relatively high for spread. Thats why I REALLY liked the H380 as it penetrated the water really deep at a high mounting height and its survived my swampy sump for years and going strong.

But certainly the price of the new light is the biggest killer for me even to buy one to try...its the exact cost of the a360x Tuna Blue for goodness sakes!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the 360x series hardware build, but I know the H380 housing is easy to take off and the pcb is at least covered with a type of conformal coating. I wouldn't trust any light going into an enclosed sump to light a fuge that isn't at least somewhat protected from salt creep / moisture ingress.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having more light intensity for deeper penetration at higher heights. My chaeto gets pretty thick and dense and I have my fuge light raised relatively high for spread. Thats why I REALLY liked the H380 as it penetrated the water really deep at a high mounting height and its survived my swampy sump for years and going strong.

But certainly the price of the new light is the biggest killer for me even to buy one to try...its the exact cost of the a360x Tuna Blue for goodness sakes!

I totally agree. In fact it’s the only kessil I really like despite having Amazon sun and tuna blue a160s and 360s. The h380 is about the only common light that can punch into a ball of chaeto. Of course if you don’t run it in a thick ball that’s not needed. Too bad about the replacement. I’m sure you can get the 380 par back with their narrow angle attachment. I owned a 360NE and the reflector was similar to h380.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360x refugium is far better. The H380 in my book is 100% unacceptable for not having even a dimmer control. As dialing in the amount of light of the refugium gets is how you control how much it exports. Without a dimmer you have to raise and lower which is not only annoying but will cause light spill if you need to raise it. In short even though I am a kessil fan I would not use the H380 if someone gave it to me for free.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So did anyone get this light and how do you like/dislike it? How does it compare to the h380?

Its very pricey for a fuge light and I'm not sure if it needs all the bells and whistles its capable of... unless you are using it for a display refugium.

But for standard on/off use, how does it fare?
Have one it is super powerful it’s not worrying buying unless you have a huge fuge but very powerful and I like it

FE875AEE-B6BB-4A50-88E4-7073FA9B901B.jpeg BAA3DEC4-492E-479F-9F1C-96E886CDF4B1.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360x refugium is far better. The H380 in my book is 100% unacceptable for not having even a dimmer control. As dialing in the amount of light of the refugium gets is how you control how much it exports. Without a dimmer you have to raise and lower which is not only annoying but will cause light spill if you need to raise it. In short even though I am a kessil fan I would not use the H380 if someone gave it to me for free.

It better be a lot better for the price increase and then needing to get narrow optics if desired. However I would absolutely love to pay for shipping if you get a free unit you refuse to use, thanks!!!

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um the refugium 360x comes with the narrow reflector in the box...
"
The A360
X_logo.png
Refugium includes a Narrow Reflector that will prevent unwanted light spillage in your sump.

"

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it grows my cheato like a champ. I have a 20x20x14 refuge section and this light grows so much cheato that the entire section is filled with cheato.... I'm talking wall to wall, base to water level. A super thick 20x20x14 cube of cheato. I have to throw away a basketball sized clump twice a week. I recommend this light for sure.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all the same price I would personally go with 360x sun (freshwater planted) over a fuge. Sure you lose a small bit of efficiency but not all that much and get to have a more pleasing viewing spectrum and use over a fw tank if ever desired.

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it grows my cheato like a champ. I have a 20x20x14 refuge section and this light grows so much cheato that the entire section is filled with cheato.... I'm talking wall to wall, base to water level. A super thick 20x20x14 cube of cheato. I have to throw away a basketball sized clump twice a week. I recommend this light for sure.

How high do you have it mounted above the water line?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a bit of a necro on this thread, but there just isn't much discussion on this light.

I only had mine powered up for 30 seconds before I took it out and sent an email to ask if I can return it. Even with the narrow reflector it still throws light everywhere under the tank. You've either got to have a pretty big refugium, or run it real close to the water. Best I can figure is they kept the same lensing and reflectors as the Tuna's, and just changed the color spectrum.

My refugium is about 1/3 of a 40 breeder, and I'd need to keep it 6" or less off the water to minimize the light spillage. I was really hoping for something I could run at 12" or higher. Everything else about it looks great though. My ONLY real complaints are the lensing and the price of the WiFi dongle (I didn't buy one, didn't see a need for it).

If I get charged a restocking fee I'll just keep the stupid thing and DIY some kind of shroud/reflector to see if I can make it useable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back