What's the worst thing you've ever dropped in your tank?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used coral dip water. We got home late at night after a long trip, so I dipped coral I bought and I usually have four bowls of water when I dip: 1. The water the coral came in mixed with a little qt tank water, 2. Dip water, 3. Rinse water, 4. Clean tank water. The tank water is the final step and I usually dump it in the sump of my qt system and put the coral in an egg crate rack, while all other water gets dumped in the waste bucket.

So I go through my normal steps, dump the clean water in the sump after putting cora l away. I get distracted by the YouTube video I had on for background, grab the dip water and for some reason, unbeknownst to me, dumped it straight into my display sump, flatworms and all. I moved my six lined wrase into the sump for a couple of weeks then back to the display, and replaced my macro algaes entirely. There was also a panicked water change at like three am.

This was ten months ago at the beginning of the year before I got travel restrictions with my job, and so far no sign of the flatworms in sump, display, or qt tank so hopefully I'm out of the woods!

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat a whole, brand new bottle of pellet food just like the OP did his tea cup and yep, you guessed it, the entire bottle went into the tank. I immediately turned off the Vortechs and the return pump and broke out my siphon hose. Luckily I had 30 gallons of Fresh Saltwater. I just wasn't quite ready for a sudden water change. lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago (decades) I carved a fish out of a bar of hand soap. It was hanging on the wall above the fish tank.
One day I didn't see it hanging there but my fish had a nice fresh scent and bubbles were all over the floor. I never found that soap. :oops:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple of screws thank goodness

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashlight! How it missed all the corals is beyond me, lol.
It was my work flashlight and if you were to wipe it off with a wet wipe the wipe would be black.
Its clean now!
This is before water, lol.
That tank went back also as no corner touched the stand!
20181122_130402.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dropped anything but one of my maintenance customers accidentally dumped her coffee in the tank instead of the thawed frozen food. Hopefully she did not accidentally drink the thawed frozen food, Ha Ha!!!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bowl of citric acid that I was cleaning my pump with. I’ve never done a 100% water change so fast in my life. Thank goodness I had some fresh water to put my corals in right away.
Note to self: Never balance anything on the tank glass thinking it’s gonna stay put.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I accidentally spilled a peppermint mocha from Starbucks into my tank once. The fish just swam a bit faster for the rest of the day...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil tuna blue 360 spent the day in my refugium. Fortunately I run reverse light cycle and discovered the ticking time bomb before Apex woke it up.

Rinsed it off, took it apart and dried it. Put it back together. Still running 3 years later.

Back