What's the worst thing you've ever dropped in your tank?

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar when trying to drop the PH a smidge - emergency water change. Black box lights but they tripped quickly so no losses. The worst though was when the tank water dropped itself into the living room. All 240 gallons of it... got shocked twice by my laptop because I somehow thought the 2nd time I touched it would go better than the first...

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally dropped/knocked in several fluorescent lights. Both whole and once in pieces (not fun at all). A freshly opened beer can, a fiberglass ceiling tile, and my car keys. I have over the years removed from the tanks I have had, an AA battery, 4 of those decorative marble looking stones, a tennis ball, potato chip bag clip, paper clip bent into a fishing hook with a string attached, a trident aka dinner fork, and Likely over 50 nerf bullets. If my nephew wasn’t the only one I have, he might not nave made it to teenager. I never witnessed one of my cats in a tank but there was evidence it occurred twice. Lol

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 gallon of vinegar water into my quarantine/frag tank instead of RO water. Both were stored in old milk jugs. It killed most of the bristle worms, all of the pods, several Kenya tree frags and most of the Coralline algae. What survived was amazing. A red scooter blenny went through convulsions as I was neutralizing the acid and I though it was dead. Six hours later it was still alive but not moving much. Since there were no pods left, I knew it would have nothing to eat so I moved it to my display tank. It hid in the rocks and would move around a bit but it was not looking for food.

Next morning it was scooting the substrate, eating like nothing happened. The picture was taken the morning after the incident. That was 3 weeks ago and it is doing great and putting on body mass.

In addition there was an 8 polyp green Zoa frag in the tank that closed up completely. I moved it to the display tank and it took two weeks to start to open. Now it is fully open and looking very normal.

Lesson learned: Don’t store different chemicals in similar bottles. My vinegar water (for cleaning) is now well labeled and in old vinegar bottles, my RO is in milk jugs and Kalkwasser is in Apple juice containers. None of them even look remotely similar and all are clearly labeled with color coded labels.

Blenny.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iPhone in the sump- was trying to shine the flash light in the back portion while squeezing my head through the pipes in a opening not much bigger then my head, arms weaved thru pipes and wires And around center brace, trying to get a good look at return pump. Had a harder time reaching the phone...

luckly* iPhone 11 is water resistant. But it was only a few days old as my last phone got burned in the fire at hunting lake ca a few days before. I was freaking out- thought it was a goner! Very nerve racking way to learn iphone11 is water resistant. It’s been 3-4 weeks and phone still working well lol. Did the rice thing over night just in case...

Other items dropped in tank: auto feeder(toast), one Open half full jar of flake food.. (Fish loved that one lol) a ceiling tile, a set of keys, lost a pair of bone cutters only to find them rusting away behind my rock structure a few days later....

Again- I should learn not to set things on the rim of the tank, yet I still do?

Oh yeah- once found a new full roll of postage stamps stuck to the over flow... tank is in my office. No idea how that happened. ....

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter when she was small dropped a remote, Found it months later. Duracell AA added lots of elements into the water column.
Remote controls are the bane of my existence... They ALWAYS go missing in our house (though thankfully never in the tank - yet). I always tell my kids that when I rule the world, remote controls will be 24 inches square, and glow-in-the-dark, so - hopefully - impossible to lose...

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally dropped/knocked in several fluorescent lights. Both whole and once in pieces (not fun at all). A freshly opened beer can, a fiberglass ceiling tile, and my car keys. I have over the years removed from the tanks I have had, an AA battery, 4 of those decorative marble looking stones, a tennis ball, potato chip bag clip, paper clip bent into a fishing hook with a string attached, a trident aka dinner fork, and Likely over 50 nerf bullets. If my nephew wasn’t the only one I have, he might not nave made it to teenager. I never witnessed one of my cats in a tank but there was evidence it occurred twice. Lol
OK, you win the award for longest list... AA battery, nerf bullets and car keys ?!?!? My car keys are - supposedly - fully waterproof, but I'm not game to try !

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iPhone in the sump- was trying to shine the flash light in the back portion while squeezing my head through the pipes in a opening not much bigger then my head, arms weaved thru pipes and wires And around center brace, trying to get a good look at return pump. Had a harder time reaching the phone...

Ah, I know this position very well!
giphy.gif

Jamesholt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Doing my water tests from the sump, pull water from sump test it and dump in a cup to dispose of.
Got done with all the tests and emptied the cup in the sump, got up and went to the sink, that's when I realized what I had done...
2. Balanced a full plate of pintos and meatloaf on the edge of a 125, trying to answer phone that was in my pocket, guess where the plate went..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back