Whats this mini-torch looking thing? Euphyillia Baliensis?

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt its really a baliensis though it is very small it doesn't have the hammer-look that the baliensis photos all have. The other thing that made me think baliensis is it was practically in the dark at the LFS and not too unhappy (it didnt look all that great but I couldn't resist what with the Chinese New Year discount, just picked it up yesterday).

1. with the flash, see how small the heads are, probably 1cm or less across. The tentacles seem to be completely green with a pinkish skeleton underneath.
2. under the lights
3. my regular aussie torch, photo taken from about the same distance for size comparison, all 6 heads on this coral are still smaller than 1 head on my torch and my torch is small, the heads are ~1" across.

20210213_111137.jpg
20210213_104848.jpg
20210213_104853.jpg

I would NOT be surprised if everyone knows what this is and I am an out-of-the-loop newbie.

OP
OP
A

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! but darn, I just broke off my meteor shower, clover polyps, palys, and gsps to rid my tank of aggressors lol. I figured since it looked like a torch itd at least be a slow grower? looks like this guy is going back to the store....

Val Doyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dint grow to fast but those little tentacles can extend them self's I've seen mine grow as long as 6 inches

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt its really a baliensis though it is very small it doesn't have the hammer-look that the baliensis photos all have. The other thing that made me think baliensis is it was practically in the dark at the LFS and not too unhappy (it didnt look all that great but I couldn't resist what with the Chinese New Year discount, just picked it up yesterday).

1. with the flash, see how small the heads are, probably 1cm or less across. The tentacles seem to be completely green with a pinkish skeleton underneath.
2. under the lights
3. my regular aussie torch, photo taken from about the same distance for size comparison, all 6 heads on this coral are still smaller than 1 head on my torch and my torch is small, the heads are ~1" across.

20210213_111137.jpg
20210213_104848.jpg
20210213_104853.jpg

I would NOT be surprised if everyone knows what this is and I am an out-of-the-loop newbie.
Galaxea coral. Personally I am a big fan of them hence I keep them in my lps tank with Euphylias, Blastos and Acans. As they are notorious for sweepers, you might want to isolate or at least set up physical barriers (aquascaping with rocks to basically block the sweepers from extending to other corals). You could also like what i do, set up a frag rack and place a galaxeas there. I know you’ve already removed it but just some advice should you intend to keep galaxeas in the future.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back