ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451185853.792330.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451185890.107624.jpg

BlacknBlue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guy above me, if you can't catch him, start soaking his food in garlic and do more water changes to help combat the Ick.

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the spots been visible? It looks like ich. Any other fish showing signs of this on fins, any one darting through the water that didn't before, scratching on rocks or sand. Couple sticky threads above for treatment options and management options.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guy above me, if you can't catch him, start soaking his food in garlic and do more water changes to help combat the Ick.
This will do nothing at this stage (or arguably any stage depending on who you're talking to) except further stress the fish and weaken its immune responses.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to remove this fish as well as all fish in the tank, put them in a quarantine (lots of good threads by Humblefish on promptly quarantining) and treat with CP or copper. Leave your tank fallow 76 days (no fish).

Your qt (if not established) will need daily LARGE water changes, an ammonia badge to check for ammonia, and lots of oxygen via powerheads and/or airstones. Do not use prime, amquel, or any nitrite nitrate or ammonia detoxifiers in conjunction with either medication.

OP
OP
Calvin Bosarge

Calvin Bosarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Cause all the other fish look fine and are acting normal and eating great . I've only had this tang for a little over a week .... I don't have a quarantine tank setup right now but in the process of doing that now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's either ich or velvet (or both). I'm not 100% sure because some of the dots look like ich to me, while others look small enough to be velvet. How long has the fish looked like this?

Either way, ich or velvet, first thing you need to do is setup a QT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

You'll need a bottle of copper (exs. Cupramine, Coppersafe, Copper Power). And just in case this turns out to be velvet, I'd try to locate one of the following:
  • Acriflavine (exs. Acriflavine-MS, Ruby Reef Rally)
  • Formalin (exs. Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus)

OP
OP
Calvin Bosarge

Calvin Bosarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some of the ruby reef rally on the way already should be here Tuesday . I've added that into my main tank a few times .... My purple tang had a few small white spots about 2 months ago . Once I did the whole ruby reef treatment into my main tank the spots were gone and all the fish seemed to be doing a lot better . I was using the ruby reef because I'm not too sure I'll be able to catch any of my fish to quarantine . Didn't have any luck in the past . I've got like 250lbs of live rock on the tank. So there are a lot of hiding places

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's eating and swimming around normally, don't do anything, you'll just stress him out, and thats not what he needs. Keeping him fed and happy is what will win the day.

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some of the ruby reef rally on the way already should be here Tuesday . I've added that into my main tank a few times .... My purple tang had a few small white spots about 2 months ago . Once I did the whole ruby reef treatment into my main tank the spots were gone and all the fish seemed to be doing a lot better . I was using the ruby reef because I'm not too sure I'll be able to catch any of my fish to quarantine . Didn't have any luck in the past . I've got like 250lbs of live rock on the tank. So there are a lot of hiding places

Just went through the same issues, this is one of the best purchases I ever made. You can also make your own trap @Humblefish made a nice one using eggcrate as I recall. It took me 3 days to catch all my fish and start treatment. I had ich come in on a coral. In the future everything that goes to the DT will get QT. I'm just glad I didn't have velvet, I've only lost one fish so far..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-medic-fish-trap.html

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving a fish affected that heavily alone is not a good move. This is not a "few" spots this is a pretty serious infestation. The "ich management" ship has sailed on this fish, IMO and IME

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving a fish affected that heavily alone is not a good move. This is not a "few" spots this is a pretty serious infestation. The "ich management" ship has sailed on this fish, IMO and IME

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back