Whats this Red Macro sprouting up?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool, appeared out of nowhere on this liverock just today. Definitely wasn't there yesterday.

20230126_190435.jpg 20230126_190429.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a reef to that before, search out asparagopsis

in my opinion you lift rocks out, and use a knife to roughly dig them out, scoring rather deep in each dig to get up under each growth, legit warning: lost reef bowl one to that

dont treat in tank, removal cleaning only is recommended

that’s urgent in my opinion.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

in my opinion you lift rocks out, and use a knife to roughly dig them out, scoring rather deep in each dig to get up under each growth, legit warning: lost reef bowl one to that

"Asparagopsis" is the algae they want to mix into the feed of cattle to cut down on the methane they expel. Who knew? Bill Gates is investing 2 Billion dollars for its development.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree more on botrycladia now that it’s mentioned, those red algae aren’t a walk in the park where they pop up in live rock for sure, I’d handle that as an emergency in my opinion unless you want a full tank of it

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It definitely doesn't look like that, these are fairly thick single leaves.

They are about dime sized in the photo. I know the size conparison isn't great, but it doesn't look like threads like the pics I am seeing of asparagopsis

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a red macro to me, possibly Botryocladia genus (A.K.A. Red Grape Caulerpa), but I'm not great with macro ID yet.
Reef Cleaners sells the Red Grape as an addition to reef tanks:

Does it look like this ^^^

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Cleaners sells the Red Grape as an addition to reef tanks:

Does it look like this ^^^
Omg it does!

So cool!

It definitely looks like the pics of it that are small when i google botryocladia.

I can't beleive it just came out of no where. Only had this rock for 4 weeks, but still i didn't think it had any macros on it.

I guess I did have sea lettuce recently pop up on a trochus snail i had for 2 months so I guess its not that unexpected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Botryocladia macroalgae

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great food for Foxfaces and herbivorous Tangs. Sea horses are a natural fit within its branches. It grows fast.
I saw a post a while ago about people intentionally growing it and having issues.

If my only herbavor is an algae blenny and it does grow fast, should I remove it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be sure and keep updates coming if you choose to not remove it

we want to study indirect invasion control options for reef tanks, this is a perfect model since you didn't intend for them to be there, and plant them there

showing up potentiated by import from unobserved rock/non- fallow addition is exactly when the party starts :) have cam handy to help greater reefing.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be sure and keep updates coming if you choose to not remove it

we want to study indirect invasion control options for reef tanks, this is a perfect model since you didn't intend for them to be there, and plant them there

showing up potentiated by import from unobserved rock/non- fallow addition is exactly when the party starts :) have cam handy to help greater reefing.
Absolutely. It looked the same this AM, will be reporting later and after that will note changes and post photos.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet there are animals who could target it right now, when it's low volume

wonder if any snails are known to attack it at this stage

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*if you have multiple rocks of it, you for sure need to pull one and be doing things to it, to see if one rock can be made to comply. to go into a potential full tank invasion knowing nothing about the invasion is asking for big risk, depending on $ you've input so far. I had a lot in, and a lot of time. it got so bad any scraped ones would just come back

there were tricks available we didn't know back then. be discovering those and applying them to at least one area of a rock if not a whole test rock, learn your combatant now v later

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*if you have multiple rocks of it, you for sure need to pull one and be doing things to it, to see if one rock can be made to comply. to go into a potential full tank invasion knowing nothing about the invasion is asking for big risk, depending on $ you've input so far. I had a lot in, and a lot of time. it got so bad any scraped ones would just come back

there were tricks available we didn't know back then. be discovering those and applying them to at least one area of a rock if not a whole test rock, learn your combatant now v later
My hope is that it behaves, and I can let if have that spot. I like how it looks, if it is what I think it is. I would have no problem cultivating and managing spread if it isn't absurd.

I looked all over the tank and saw no other spot. My CBS was picking isopods and copepods off of them this morning.

I have a billion pods right now, so, it seems as though whatever this is, they sit on it but are not eating it.

Time will tell.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back