What's up with all the shortages?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on with high end supplements and salt being out of stock? All the ESV products seem to be out of stock. Tropic Marin products are out. Live Aquaria salt is out of stock. Aquaforest salt is out. I've been using the LA salt for years, and it's out now. I found a couple boxes of Fritz RPM (which is supposedly LA salt) to tide me over, but I hope this doesn't continue.

I just switched over to ESV B-Ionic 2-part, so I was actually open to using their salt, but ALL their products are un-obtanium right now.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Port of Los Angeles has many loaded ships anchoring offshore because it isn't safe to unload them.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short staffed with more orders than ever is how we got here. Tons of people getting into the hobby because they have nothing else to do.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on with high end supplements and salt being out of stock? All the ESV products seem to be out of stock. Tropic Marin products are out. Live Aquaria salt is out of stock. Aquaforest salt is out. I've been using the LA salt for years, and it's out now. I found a couple boxes of Fritz RPM (which is supposedly LA salt) to tide me over, but I hope this doesn't continue.

I just switched over to ESV B-Ionic 2-part, so I was actually open to using their salt, but ALL their products are un-obtanium right now.
I just set up a tank a month ago and wanted to use Tropic Marin but can’t get it. I think it’s made in France and can only assume COVID has stopped production. I use NEO Marine instead. It always seems to be in stock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't safe? Coronavirus is in salt?
Don't you watch tv or listen to the news? It isn't safe unless you have a mask. It's not safe to eat unless you eat outside. The dockworkers can't find a manufacturer for a mask that fits a crane or a forklift, so they are staying home to keep their equipment safe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Distribution is the main reason.
Costs for shipping also and destination issues ( USPS is a prime example)

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you watch tv or listen to the news? It isn't safe unless you have a mask. It's not safe to eat unless you eat outside. The dockworkers can't find a manufacturer for a mask that fits a crane or a forklift, so they are staying home to keep their equipment safe.
I think we are on the same page here

Luke.Fraizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sure how the coronavirus prevents production over a year later. It's an excuse at this time.
Production is being prevented by not having as many people in one space to be able to accomplish the tasks. Packaging, moving materials, fixing equipment. I would expect to see things get much worse over the next few years instead of better. Even things such as appliances, lumber, metal and all the things that use those materials have been decreased because of the man power required to run the lines. I work in the HVAC industry and we are already seeing shortages of equipment like AC and Coils. So if anyone needs things do it sooner then later and get ahead of the game.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In setting up a new tank there were several items I could not find in stock anywhere including a normal 3155 Tunze topoff. Reefbuilders ATO out of stock, too. Seems like anything made in Europe is scarce for sure.

I have also participated for the last time on live sales here at reef2reef because I have had horrible experiences with two very well known sellers who are apparently doing so much business they don't care if corals show up dead or actually send you the "free" frag you won during the event. I will not shed a tear for them when the market starts to turn on them.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In setting up a new tank there were several items I could not find in stock anywhere including a normal 3155 Tunze topoff. Reefbuilders ATO out of stock, too. Seems like anything made in Europe is scarce for sure.

I have also participated for the last time on live sales here at reef2reef because I have had horrible experiences with two very well known sellers who are apparently doing so much business they don't care if corals show up dead or actually send you the "free" frag you won during the event. I will not shed a tear for them when the market starts to turn on them.
I tried a live sale once, that's right "Once!"

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@zukihara Years? That's optimistic!!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... and now the Suez Canal is blocked. That’s it for aquarium supplies.

Drop a few MOAB's on it to clear the path?

Edit: Wow... I just saw that the ship is as long as the empire state build is high! That is crazy. I guess they need to carpet bomb MOABs instead.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop a few MOAB's on it to clear the path?

Edit: Wow... I just saw that the ship is as long as the empire state build is high! That is crazy. I guess they need to carpet bomb MOABs instead.
Buddy of mine in the salvage business who’s always good at summing up the obvious .... ‘that bad boy ain’t gonna be easy to move’. LOL, ya think!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the same with the fish. Lol.maybe just in my area.
The whole world has kinda slowed down or laid off some workers all. Lets be patient and hope it all ramps back up to normal. I hope the masks go away myself.lol
D

Back