OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check your tank for ammonia to be safe. Keep your carbon running, or possibly pick up a poly filter if you're able. Keep your skimmer running, if it's overflowing simply remove the cup, but keep it running for aeration. Add an extra powerhead pointed at the surface, if available. Maybe prepare a decent-sized water change, again just to be safe.

It's probably just a bacterial bloom, but definitely keep an eye for ammonia and make sure you have plenty of aeration. Bacterial blooms are generally harmless but can deplete oxygen in a tank without sufficient water movement, smothering the inhabitants.

I don't know a ton about nems, but I imagine they would be fairly sensitive to changes in water quality and could react.

Thank you for your help. I will check all Params tomorrow.

Skimmer is running as well as carbon reactor, extra carbon in the filter sock and an extra powerhead pointed at the surface.

If I can't follow humblefish advice by getting him out the tank, I will be following yours.

I have rally on hand. I have used rally and kick ick in the display with good results in the past but I really do not WANT to treat the display. Only if I have to.

Finding the other meds is proving to be a challenge. I might have to order online if I have that much time left.

For now, I can only do what I CAN do.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are notoriously slow-acting in fish, so unfortunately time isn't on your side. I know I've ordered them off of Amazon in a pinch, but you'd need to expedite shipping.

If you can catch him - I've had really good luck using an acclimation box as a trap with fresh clams as bait - definitely do use the rally as a bath. It's very helpful in getting that leg-up until the antibiotics have time to kick in.

Just a thought- If you have a clear specimen cup, I kid you not, I've had fish swim right into those to get to a live clam. Worth a shot. Sometimes you just need to get creative when catching fish...

Good luck!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the advice and I will continue to try to catch him.
I agree with the advice given but I may not physically be able to do it.
15167657233721550822044.jpg

This hole is where he runs to among other holes in the rockwork.
My rockwork does not move. I physically can't move it. It's solid.

I asked what might be going on with the carpet and the reply I got seemed antagonistic.

Believe me. If I could get him out the tank, I would chance putting him in a 10gal to treat him.
I just can't get him out even if I drained the water.
Can you shove something in there to block that cave(s)? Air bubbles for packing boxes maybe?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to appear antagonistic, we have tried to help. I personally recommended against any medications in the tank, and melafix in general. Even soaking food in antibiotics and focus is a risk (albeit slight) to your reef tank. Reef safe meds aren’t meds, nearly always they’re snake oil. I don’t want to put anything in my reef tanks. But it’s frustrating for us too, when we suggest not to do something and that it won’t help and then it causes issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made a myriad of mistakes. I didn’t always quarantine, I’ve tried what I now consider snake oils, I’ve killed fish with inaction and my own ignorance, I think we’ve all been there and done that.

I wanted to make sure I was direct and you know what you were dealing with. Because this is the fish disease forum, we may or may not know much about nems. I have a basic understanding, I keep them but don’t add chemicals to my reef tanks for the situation you’re dealing with. As mentioned, a separate thread in the anemone forum would be a good suggestion :)

Catching fish is a lot of work, it has to be a priority and requires some ingenuity sometimes. I get it though, it’s an absolute pain. I’ve been there many times ripping apart a vibrant 180
gallon reef full of coral and re-aquascaping everything removing all but the sand to gather my fish for treatment. Several times.

Sorry for the predicament, but we are trying to help.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to appear antagonistic, we have tried to help. I personally recommended against any medications in the tank, and melafix in general. Even soaking food in antibiotics and focus is a risk (albeit slight) to your reef tank. Reef safe meds aren’t meds, nearly always they’re snake oil. I don’t want to put anything in my reef tanks. But it’s frustrating for us too, when we suggest not to do something and that it won’t help and then it causes issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made a myriad of mistakes. I didn’t always quarantine, I’ve tried what I now consider snake oils, I’ve killed fish with inaction and my own ignorance, I think we’ve all been there and done that.

I wanted to make sure I was direct and you know what you were dealing with. Because this is the fish disease forum, we may or may not know much about nems. I have a basic understanding, I keep them but don’t add chemicals to my reef tanks for the situation you’re dealing with. As mentioned, a separate thread in the anemone forum would be a good suggestion :)

Catching fish is a lot of work, it has to be a priority and requires some ingenuity sometimes. I get it though, it’s an absolute pain. I’ve been there many times ripping apart a vibrant 180
gallon reef full of coral and re-aquascaping everything removing all but the sand to gather my fish for treatment. Several times.

Sorry for the predicament, but we are trying to help.

I appreciate that.
I know you are trying to help and believe me.... I am trying my level best to adhere to that help!

The tank looked a LITTLE better today. Not as milky. The skimmer is still pulling the Melafix out. I hope the carbon is helping as well.
I would like to do a W.C. but my job prevents me from doing so as it takes soooooooo long to get my RODI water. I had my skimmer dumping into a 5 gal bucket last night and it filled up about half before I had to slow it down to go to bed (can't have that overflowing).

I'm debating on doing an emergency W.C. with tap water. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm debating on what meds to get as Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2 are proving HARD to get my hands on. I "May" be able to get API General Cure locally.
What are your thoughts on that?

The LFS strongly suggested I use Rally in the display to treat the infected fish and kill off anything that may be in other fish and the water/sandbed. I have used Rally in the past with only positive effects but I really want to get to the root problem while not making MORE problems for myself and my reef.

Again... I truly appreciate your help and advice. I'm doing the best I can at the moment.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that.
I know you are trying to help and believe me.... I am trying my level best to adhere to that help!

The tank looked a LITTLE better today. Not as milky. The skimmer is still pulling the Melafix out. I hope the carbon is helping as well.
I would like to do a W.C. but my job prevents me from doing so as it takes soooooooo long to get my RODI water. I had my skimmer dumping into a 5 gal bucket last night and it filled up about half before I had to slow it down to go to bed (can't have that overflowing).

I'm debating on doing an emergency W.C. with tap water. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm debating on what meds to get as Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2 are proving HARD to get my hands on. I "May" be able to get API General Cure locally.

The LFS strongly suggested I use Rally in the display to treat the infected fish and kill off anything that may be in other fish and the water/sandbed. I have used Rally in the past with only positive effects but I really want to get to the root problem while not making MORE problems for myself and my reef.

Again... I truly appreciate your help and advice. I'm doing the best I can at the moment.
I only use those antibiotics, I have not dealt with general cure, I’ll have to wait for other experts.

Tap water is not recommended and I wouldn’t do that unless your coral are looking really rough (not just irritated).

I wouldn’t dose reef rally in your tank, personally. I’ve not tried that but anything in the reef tank is not ideal

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't do that, it could be especially detrimental to your corals if your tap water contains any heavy metals. Running carbon and/or using a polyfilter is your best bet until you can buy/make some RODI.

General Cure contains metronidazole, but that drug is limited to only treating anaerobic bacterial fish diseases. Kanaplex + Furan-2 targets a much wider array of harmful bacteria.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 10gal be large enough to QT the tang? It's all i've got IF I can catch him.
If you do water changes and dose dr tims bacteria in a bottle it is a start. I’d craigslist a 29 Breeder at the smallest, personally. That’s a large tang. It’ll grow fast too, so if it survives it’ll quickly outgrow your tank, as a secondary issue.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 10gal be large enough to QT the tang? It's all i've got IF I can catch him.
I've tried the 10 gal QT with sm-med. tangs and it's ok, but not great. Did the Petco 1.00 per gallon and bought a 20. I would have bought bigger but I've run out of room. I agree with Brew a 29 would be perfect. Albeit you use a lot more meds due to the size of the tank.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tang is dug in!
He's hiding behind a rock that does not move. I'm trying to coax him out with food. I've had 2 nets sitting in the tank so he can get used to them being there.

Good news is the carpet aneomie is fine. Everything else is fine too.
skimmer is still pulling melaplex out but I think I've got most of it out.
The white slime is dissapiting and being pulled out by the filter sock.

The ocean tang is still swimming and eating. He's still smart enough to go hide when he sees the net.

The battle continues.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the battle improves.

I have some focus, some metroplex and some metronidazole. (Same thing as metroplex?)

I don't have a lot of any but I do have some.

He's eating nori. I would like to treat just the nori.

How do I do this?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the battle improves.

I have some focus, some metroplex and some metronidazole. (Same thing as metroplex?)

I don't have a lot of any but I do have some.

He's eating nori. I would like to treat just the nori.

How do I do this?

Metroplex and metronidazole are the same thing essentially.

To medicate the nori, you would have to dampen it to get the powders to soak in. I would let it dry out again before feeding it. I think the amount of medication and focus would depend on the size of the nori sheet you are planning to soak with meds.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me make sure I understand.

I would use a small amount if water, add 1 scoop focus and 1 scoop metroplex. Mix till dissolved then soak the nori strips to absorb the meds?
Let nori dry then feed to thangs?

Is this correct?

If it is correct, would I want to add selcon to the nori at all? Either while soaking the meds or before I add the nori to the tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me make sure I understand.

I would use a small amount if water, add 1 scoop focus and 1 scoop metroplex. Mix till dissolved then soak the nori strips to absorb the meds?
Let nori dry then feed to thangs?

Is this correct?

If it is correct, would I want to add selcon to the nori at all? Either while soaking the meds or before I add the nori to the tank?

Yes, but a very small amount of water is needed. Yes to the selcon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back