What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Miracles, but totally get your point. :)

I can't confirm but I also can't see China having 10 different glass factories making Aquariums. I could totally see Red Sea and Waterbox being made even on the same lines.
This post helped me a lot as I’m looking into another bigger tank. I have the RRR170 but now that I’m getting really addicted to the hobby lol. I want a bigger tank I was looking at the new RRRXXL900 or going for a custom tank from miracles. Would you say miracles is better in your experience?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! I got my retrofit kit and honestly don’t know how to install it. RS should’ve made a video, the instructions are horrible and I’m worried I’ll do more damage...

All the failures have made me enjoy my tank much less. Definitely my last RS tank. I really don’t get it, why not throw in a metal stand as a premium option...instead they double down with the ikea stand for the 900...

Lesson learned, Elos pricing is making much more sense lol

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an Email with pricing today.

REEFER XXL 750 V3 Complete System - Black3699.00
REEFER XXL 750 V3 Complete System - White3799.00
REEFER 3XL 900 Complete System - Black4699.00
REEFER 3XL 900 Complete System - White4799.00
REEFER XXL 750 V3 Deluxe System - Black
(incl. 4 X RL 90 & mounting arms)
REEFER XXL 750 V3 Deluxe System- White
REEFER 3XL 900 Deluxe System - Black
REEFER 3XL 900 Deluxe System - White

Yikes! That 9003XL will probably be $6000+tax in Canada here. Wowzers! I could buy a used honda civic for that!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow a lot of tank failures in the last cpl of weeks ...crazy
I still have yet to receive my "fix" for my 750.

man dont know what to think about this anymore not even sure if I should set up the tank or not.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

man dont know what to think about this anymore not even sure if I should set up the tank or not.

Could always get a custom stand made

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could always get a custom stand made
i definitely agree with that 100%!

If i did not have my tank already set up, I would not use the Red Sea stand. As it is, I am contemplating getting a solid steel stand in the near future. Do yourself and your peace of mind a huge favor and build a solid stand or get one built by someone who knows how to build stands. Better yet, buy a steel stand and save yourself from the worry and possible heartache and damage of a failure.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i definitely agree with that 100%!

If i did not have my tank already set up, I would not use the Red Sea stand. As it is, I am contemplating getting a solid steel stand in the near future. Do yourself and your peace of mind a huge favor and build a solid stand or get one built by someone who knows how to build stands. Better yet, buy a steel stand and save yourself from the worry and possible heartache and damage of a failure.

oh trust me I have thought about this many times.

such a bummer as the clean white stand is what pushed me over the edge to fork out the $$ for this tank.
I have thought about a Tslot stand and reusing the doors,top & side panels.

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh trust me I have thought about this many times.

such a bummer as the clean white stand is what pushed me over the edge to fork out the $$ for this tank.
I have thought about a Tslot stand and reusing the doors,top & side panels.
As you mentioned, I would build a stand (steel or wood) and maybe reuse the RS stand as a facade.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my 750 XXL fails I will definitely see if I can get the 900 and pay the difference. I will get a steel stand for it though. ;Happy
After looking at the dimensions on the new 3XL 900, I take that comment back! it is 25.9" tall and when I was doing my research on rimless tanks I kept seeing that 24" is the max you should go before adding a brace of some kind to the tank. All the custom places I got quotes from would not even make a rimless tank over 24" without at least a Eurobrace. Red Sea is just asking for more problems IMO. :eek:

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that moderators are blocking negative comments on the RS Facebook page really disgusts me. Owners are entitled to free speech and our honest interpretation of our experience. We pay top dollar for these tanks and the heartache that people must be going through then when posting damaged tanks on Facebook looking for help they get blocked.. that’s horrendous behaviour on the moderators part and RS should be stepping in to help people instead of allowing them to be shut down.

I have a 750 and whilst I haven’t had issues I check the silicone every day which definitely takes away from enjoying the tank. Looking forward to my kit arriving, now I just hope the actual silicone itself holds long term. My wife and I saved up for this tank and if it fails we can’t afford to just buy another one, most other people are likely in the same boat. Speaking of boats I might need one in my house just in case!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that I am reading this and what to avoid. I know nothing is guaranteed but boy you though you spent thousands of dollars and gotten quality products, nope.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My upgrade arrived yesterday and just installed it. I have to say very easy to install but the instructions do a poor (non existent) job of explaining exactly how you should adjust the new support bar. I also pre-drilled a small hole for the screws that hold the bottom of the support bar in place to prevent splitting the wood on the bottom.
46F7F3B9-F9C3-483C-A65B-3427016FD430.jpeg

I will also add that in my case the new support bar does not impede working in the sump as it’s very thin and still have 2’ either side so I would be surprised if it got in your way unless you have a very crowded filtration system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back