What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from some troubles with the flimsy downpipe plumbing, I/we have had a very satisfactory experience with RS tanks.

That said, with in person touch and feel, I found the Waterbox stuff to be in several ways a notch above RS. I spent an hour crawling all over their 190.5 at MACNA this year and was very impressed with the build and materials used. Very impressed.

That all said, I have never put one together and run it. Nor have I known/spoken to anyone with a year old running WB system. I am following several WB build threads here to see where it goes. My LFS just signed up as a retailer so I should get the chance to put one together soon.

The last thing I will posit: Red Sea has the capacity to make good on failures for customers. Maybe WaterBox could too. Maybe.
Good to know thanks!

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear you have a replacement on the way. How long was your tank set up for before the bubble appeared?

The tank was up for 15 months, but I am not sure when the bubble appeared. I only noticed the bubble when I was up close, installing the retrofit support kit. Thankfully I caught it before it failed!

Happy to hear a new tank is in the way!

Just curious, are they replacing the stand also?

No, just the tank and piping. However, it appears that I had Version 1 of the 750 XXL and the replacement tank is Version 2. After closely looking over both tanks, I noticed there has been some structural upgrades in V2. Specifically, all seams now have a reinforcing brace/silicon protector. With the addition of this seam brace, it effectively increased the silicon seam from 3/4" to a full 1". And the piping was included, according to Red Sea, because the bottom glass is thicker, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

I wonder if the reinforcing brace is common to all of Version 2 750 XXLs, or if this is a recent update due to the seam failures? And, are the failed 750 XXLs tanks ones without the silicon brace?

IMG_3252.jpg IMG_3251.jpg

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what my renters insurance people said and I have it in writing. If its a catastrophic failure damage to the property is covered as well as the tank itself, however any live stock within the tank is not covered.

A slow leak that occurs over time is not covered.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have State Farm and they said a leak would probably not be covered since it happens slowly over time, but any sudden accidents that happen and immediately damage property would be covered. So I am assuming a blowout would be covered, but a slow leak that damages the house over any period would not. They are looking further into this so I can give a definite answer soon, but that's all I have for now...

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what my renters insurance people said and I have it in writing. If its a catastrophic failure damage to the property is covered as well as the tank itself, however any live stock within the tank is not covered.

A slow leak that occurs over time is not covered.

I really need to call my home insurance and get a policy in place.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was up for 15 months, but I am not sure when the bubble appeared. I only noticed the bubble when I was up close, installing the retrofit support kit. Thankfully I caught it before it failed!

No, just the tank and piping. However, it appears that I had Version 1 of the 750 XXL and the replacement tank is Version 2. After closely looking over both tanks, I noticed there has been some structural upgrades in V2. Specifically, all seams now have a reinforcing brace/silicon protector. With the addition of this seam brace, it effectively increased the silicon seam from 3/4" to a full 1". And the piping was included, according to Red Sea, because the bottom glass is thicker, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

I wonder if the reinforcing brace is common to all of Version 2 750 XXLs, or if this is a recent update due to the seam failures? And, are the failed 750 XXLs tanks ones without the silicon brace?

IMG_3252.jpg IMG_3251.jpg

what??? That’s new to me. Is the corner reinforcement glass or acrylic? (Hopefully glass)

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps to google with both words. “Phallic symbol” will yield more useful results. Common in architecture. Prime examples in America being the Washington monument and the Empire State Building.

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to purchase one of these for under the xmas tree but know i dont know...
am I safe in ordering or go some here else to buy a complete system? What is everyone else feeling on this mess from RS.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to purchase one of these for under the xmas tree but know i dont know...
am I safe in ordering or go some here else to buy a complete system? What is everyone else feeling on this mess from RS.

Waterbox stands look better made to me.

Or even better, Elos

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really interested about the silicone inserts. I wonder if Red Sea will include it as a selling point in any of their promotional advertisements.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested about the silicone inserts. I wonder if Red Sea will include it as a selling point in any of their promotional advertisements.

I am curious if they are glass or acrylic! If acrylic, it would be just to protects the silicon edge. If glass, it might have some actual reinforcement.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why dont you try to search the Google and let me know the plethora of information you find about these corner reinforcements.

;)
Because you seem to be constantly questioning RedSea - I am not. I was only curious - I assume you know far more than I - above almost everything. Maybe call RedSea?

By the way - I meant - call Redsea or google it before answering a question? I mean they asked a question...

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I‘ve had a Red Sea 425xl for a few months now. I love the tank. However I don’t have much faith in the stand. I’ve already had one issue with the stand. Luckily I did not have to take the tank down to fix it. I will likely replace the stand and in that case will likely replace the tank as well - likely with a larger tank - likely not Red Sea tank - as I believe you don’t keep your warranty if you don’t use their stand. I don’t think there is a problem with the Red Sea tanks. In my opinion I think there is a stand issue and most of that is related to having the consumer put the stand together. For the cost of the Tanks the stands should come assembled and be made of stronger materials. Additionally they have a massive PR problem that they are not equipped to handle and have not shown a willingness to change how they are handling it. Extending warranties does not fix the current PR issues they are having.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you seem to be constantly questioning RedSea - I am not. I was only curious - I assume you know far more than I - above almost everything. Maybe call RedSea?

By the way - I meant - call Redsea or google it before answering a question? I mean they asked a question...

Dude, read my post. I said “I am curious if...”

That is not trying to “question Red Sea”. It is a valid thought, my comment on seeing a triangular corner brace.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, read my post. I said “I am curious if...”

That is not trying to “question Red Sea”. It is a valid thought, my comment on seeing a triangular corner brace.
I apologize I was reading your response 'in toto' with the rest of your responses on this thread - I'm sorry I didn't realize you were suddenly implying that you didnt know...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize I was reading your response 'in toto' with the rest of your responses on this thread - I'm sorry I didn't realize you were suddenly implying that you didnt know...

no worries.

A custom tank of mine has acrylic triangular corner inserts, to protect the silicon. It doesn’t help structurally according to the builder, but ground glass inserts was NOT in my budget haha.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no worries.

A custom tank of mine has acrylic triangular corner inserts, to protect the silicon. It doesn’t help structurally according to the builder, but ground glass inserts was NOT in my budget haha.
funny thing I was scraping my RS 750 - the other day - and I thought wow thee is a huge ridge of silicone all around the bottom - im not sure this is new

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back