What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny thing I was scraping my RS 750 - the other day - and I thought wow thee is a huge ridge of silicone all around the bottom - im not sure this is new

Yeah along the bottom it’s pretty thick. The new thing i was referring to were the triangular corner braces on the 750xl posted on the previous page. It would be pretty awesome if they were glass and equipped standard on the new 750s.

maybe I’m crazy and they always had that. Dunno LOL

Last edited:

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 750xxl came with plastic inserts along the 2 sides and front glass- regular silicone along the back glass.

Is this not standard with all 750xxl?

20191216_201452.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 750xxl came with plastic inserts along the 2 sides and front glass- regular silicone along the back glass.

Is this not standard with all 750xxl?

20191216_201452.jpg
Mine - I believe has this....

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wim6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always bought custom made tanks. OK they cost a bit more, but mass produced stuff is always going to be more risky. in my experience custom builders are reluctant to make rimless tanks. Never had a failure except when I bought my first tank, which was a Juwel.

Wim6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And always check your insurance policy, especially when you live on the third floor...

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always bought custom made tanks. OK they cost a bit more, but mass produced stuff is always going to be more risky. in my experience custom builders are reluctant to make rimless tanks. Never had a failure except when I bought my first tank, which was a Juwel.
I agree with this 100% and the custom places I talked to for quotes always recommended at least a Euro brace for larger tanks and some did not do rimless at all. The only reason I went with Red Sea was because this was my first dive into saltwater and I did not know enough about a sump and plumbing to do it on my own. I went with the package deal and now I am seriously regretting it. :(

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the euro-bracing and metal-stand sentiments in this thread - especially for tanks over 70 gallons or so.

I just bought a red sea peninsula 500 for a high school classroom and cognizant of the long-term stability of the tank/stand. I suspect because it is intermediate in size it will last (in the least) for several years if due process is followed setting it up. Has anyone else had issues with their Red Sea tank? The Red Sea Facebook Group is now largely banning anyone with constructive academic feedback on the product. It stands to reason if there was a gross oversight on the 750 xxl causing tremendous financial and psychological impacts to its users, other long-term considerations may exist.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the euro-bracing and metal-stand sentiments in this thread - especially for tanks over 70 gallons or so.

I just bought a red sea peninsula 500 for a high school classroom and cognizant of the long-term stability of the tank/stand. I suspect because it is intermediate in size it will last (in the least) for several years if due process is followed setting it up. Has anyone else had issues with their Red Sea tank? The Red Sea Facebook Group is now largely banning anyone with constructive academic feedback on the product. It stands to reason if there was a gross oversight on the 750 xxl causing tremendous financial and psychological impacts to its users, other long-term considerations may exist.
IMO the FB group is generally inconsistently and thus poorly moderated. They seem to vacillate between saying they welcome discussion on the issues, to deleting or freezing posts about the problems, back again to saying they want open discussion, to the most recent stance that the group wasn’t intended to share information about the tank failures and thus conversation on the matter there currently seems forbidden. This, in a word, stinks. That group is by far the biggest network of active owners I know of, the source for info on the damaged tanks, and I believe may have been a big motivator in Red Seas 750 bracing and warranty extension. I’m very concerned that since they apparently under-engineered the 750 the flaw/s may be present to some degree down the line. That said, we have no reliable data sample that I know of, I don’t know what the industry expected fail rates might be either, and I don’t believe Red Sea has plans to release their data as yet.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They just froze, deleted and then blocked a person for posting a picture of the silicone failing and asking if anyone knew what it was. The guy genuinely didn’t know what he was looking and what was happening to his tank. A mod replied like a total a-hat accusing the poster of trying to start problems and calling him immature for not reaching out to Red Sea’s warranty department instead of posting on there. I responded well how is he supposed to know to contact RS Warranty If he was asking for help identifying what he was looking at on his tank. After that it was deleted and the dude was banned.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just froze, deleted and then blocked a person for posting a picture of the silicone failing and asking if anyone knew what it was. The guy genuinely didn’t know what he was looking and what was happening to his tank. A mod replied like a total a-hat accusing the poster of trying to start problems and calling him immature for not reaching out to Red Sea’s warranty department instead of posting on there. I responded well how is he supposed to know to contact RS Warranty If he was asking for help identifying what he was looking at on his tank. After that it was deleted and the dude was banned.

Wow... really?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pattern on the Facebook group is concerning. The Red Sea Max/Reefers Facebook group holds a lot of leverage to promote positive change to further advance Red Sea products. However, the moderators/admin are evidently Red Sea employees or have some conflict of interest because anything constructive of Red Sea is now banned or categorized in the name of "trolling" (in the words of the moderator). Of course, there are some trolls and people who over-think things.

A recent comment of mine was banned because I had a link to reef2reef to help a gentleman in his battle with dinos, for example. I also indicated that he should stop dosing NOxPOx (a Red Sea product) and Vibrant. The pattern is concerning. If someone with political clout in the reefing community reads this, it may help the broader reefing community to share some of these academic observations, should you share similar observations, with Red Sea leaders.

By no means am I implying Red Sea products are inferior. They are pretty awesome - especially the tanks. Should they always consider ways to improve though? Absolutely. Added structural support for stands (e.g., anodized aluminum), euro-bracing options, a Spears gate valve (please mercy), an ATO alternative, built-in roller filter options. etc. Always room for growth.

I just purchased a peninsula 500 for my classroom and I'm thankful Red Sea has extended the warranty to 3 years. Of course, these setups at this cost should last a decade. I'm optimistic mine will.

A shoutout to the reef2reef community as this is generally a very academic forum where honesty and transparency prevail.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the FB group is generally inconsistently and thus poorly moderated. They seem to vacillate between saying they welcome discussion on the issues, to deleting or freezing posts about the problems, back again to saying they want open discussion, to the most recent stance that the group wasn’t intended to share information about the tank failures and thus conversation on the matter there currently seems forbidden. This, in a word, stinks. That group is by far the biggest network of active owners I know of, the source for info on the damaged tanks, and I believe may have been a big motivator in Red Seas 750 bracing and warranty extension. I’m very concerned that since they apparently under-engineered the 750 the flaw/s may be present to some degree down the line. That said, we have no reliable data sample that I know of, I don’t know what the industry expected fail rates might be either, and I don’t believe Red Sea has plans to release their data as yet.
A huge motivator for warranty extensions and added bracing for the 750s, no doubt. What a great thing - freedom of speech that made a product better.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get where Red Sea is coming from, but really don't agree with how they are handling it. Face Book is a huge marketing platform for businesses and they want people showing off their beautiful tanks and discussing their great products, not using it as a platform to keep track of failed systems. To think anything different is really silly on our part.

They should put out a disclaimer that all tank failures need to be handled through customer service and not FB and then just delete the posts as they appear without any explanation or calling people trolls or anything negative towards the poster. And to all the people taking it as an opportunity to point out how bad Red Sea is...what the heck are you doing on a Red Sea group in the first place??? o_O

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get where Red Sea is coming from, but really don't agree with how they are handling it. Face Book is a huge marketing platform for businesses and they want people showing off their beautiful tanks and discussing their great products, not using it as a platform to keep track of failed systems. To think anything different is really silly on our part.

They should put out a disclaimer that all tank failures need to be handled through customer service and not FB and then just delete the posts as they appear without any explanation or calling people trolls or anything negative towards the poster. And to all the people taking it as an opportunity to point out how bad Red Sea is...what the heck are you doing on a Red Sea group in the first place??? o_O

I agree, but they can also moderate the FB page anyway they see fit.

I’m not a fanboy by any stretch but when my first 750xxl showed up with damaged stand components and a scratched tank they sent out an entire new setup without any hassle. The retro fit kit was also sent out quickly and I had it installed in about 30 minutes with no issues though my tank had very little deflection (~1/32”).

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a cursory perspective - you can like something and still have constructive feedback about it.

Whether it be Facebook or Google reviews etc., constructive feedback is imperative. We can’t just bloat about the positives without highlighting areas for growth or there will be less or no pressure for positive change. As highlighted in a previous comment, the 750 xxl model was updated In large part because of pressure from people commenting on that Facebook group.

These are NOT trolls, they are hard working folks losing tens of thousands on their investment and from home damage.

The selective reporting of data as you are suggesting goes against every scientific principle out there.

I say go half way - delete the obvious trolling and unnecessary negativity but keep the real concerns and experiences.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a cursory perspective - you can like something and still have constructive feedback about it.

Whether it be Facebook or Google reviews etc., constructive feedback is imperative. We can’t just bloat about the positives without highlighting areas for growth or there will be less or no pressure for positive change. As highlighted in a previous comment, the 750 xxl model was updated In large part because of pressure from people commenting on that Facebook group.

These are NOT trolls, they are hard working folks losing tens of thousands on their investment and from home damage.

The selective reporting of data as you are suggesting goes against every scientific principle out there.

I say go half way - delete the obvious trolling and unnecessary negativity but keep the real concerns and experiences.
I would agree if it was a public group...it is a private group moderated by Red Sea though. This group is for marketing and not for reporting data by any scientific principle. You can create another group for collecting data if you wish, but their private group is for them to control any way they wish.

There is a proper way to report failures to Red Sea and their support has been doing a pretty good job on replacing all failures so there really is no need to add insult to injury by posting the failures on their private business site.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree if it was a public group...it is a private group moderated by Red Sea though. This group is for marketing and not for reporting data by any scientific principle. You can create another group for collecting data if you wish, but their private group is for them to control any way they wish.

There is a proper way to report failures to Red Sea and their support has been doing a pretty good job on replacing all failures so there really is no need to add insult to injury by posting the failures on their private business site.

Agree to disagree my friend. That said, your points are valid and important to consider ✌️

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to all the people taking it as an opportunity to point out how bad Red Sea is...what the heck are you doing on a Red Sea group in the first place??? o_O

Uh, probably mostly because they had a Red Sea fail and are discussing the extreme hardship needless loss of carefully cultivated life, money for a new tank (for some), and often immense property damage and painful cleanup process that ensues when one of their tanks fail, often months to a few years after install?

I mean others are justifiably concerned that the same could happen to them, and want a support beam for their tanks too.

Many owners would like much fuller disclosure on failure rates from Red Sea too, so they can decide what to do with their current set ups and potential future purchases.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You work for Red Sea bro?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back