What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
i was worried, then I wasn’t, now I am more worried than I was to start with..
ive always had cheap tanks, this time I bought a second hand reefer 425xl I was so exited, finally a top of the range tank that will last years.
got it home, cleaned it and started putting stand together...
wait, that can’t be right, the top of the stand doesn’t sit on top of the side pieces? Really! It’s held there by the same cheap turnbuckles that are used in kitchen cabinets...
I couldnt believe a top expensive manufacturer wouldn’t put the top of the stand on top of the sides.
i thought it was ridiculous and so I siliconed it together on all joints as well as the turnbuckles.
didn’t like it but it’s expensive and must be designed properly.......
strenghtened floor, levelled stand, filled with water.
its had water in for 6 weeks, the top of the stand has dropped on the left against the side panel by 3mm, the side glass has moved outward by 1mm both sides and you can push it back in with your finger.
i found someone else this had happened to and they said redsea came out, checked it and said it was fine....
both issues scare the hell out of me, I forgot about it until reading this thread. Now I’m worried again.
one of the doors has also warped, twisted which makes me think the wood isn’t that great.

the bottom Of the tank is only around 8mm wider than the top of the stand, the tank sides are stuck on the sides so the tanks side panels are sitting on the stands side panels and the bottom of the tank is sitting on the stands top, bar 4mm per side.....

I find it unbelievable.

ive decided to order a 400litre vat, drain the tank and strengthen the stand, maybe also put extra layer of foam between tank and stand, and maybe a piece of metal or Wood between to spread the load.

id be devastated if I were one of the owners of the failed tanks mentioned, my heart goes out to you all.

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, my last tank custom made 8*2*2 let go at a seam about a month ago, I had the tank for 17yrs. It possibly died due to me damaging the bottom corner bead with the magnetic glass cleaner over a long period of time. At any rate I was a month or so off ordering a new 750xxl v3 . I loved the look , the sump setup, the twin returns etc. etc. but im now going to look at another custom made, with a similar sump design to the 750, acrylic beading to protect the seams from damage a glass brace around the top of the tank but not across it, and a steel framed cabinet. I would rather spend the extra money then face another tank disaster 1-10yrs from now.

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a broken Red Sea 350 on OfferUp. The bottom panel was cracked in the middle. When I set a level on top of the stand it was not flat. The middle support was too big, I had to take the stand apart and trim a bit of the middle support so the stand would be flat. I think it worked. I fixed the bottom glass. And the tank is now running for like 4 months.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200217_213414.jpg

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Red Sea is awesome for the smaller systems. With some minor revisions to the larger systems (e.g., a small eurobrace, a few more structural braces for their stands - or anodized aluminum like their flagship models), they'll be good for a decade+.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are my red sea'ers doing?
Apparently you missed this:

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invested so much in this tank... Will monitor the seams closely...

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The more complaints/problems there are, the more product new product they release. A few more faulty tanks and maybe they'll release a 1000 XL. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has banned me from their Facebook group. Check out my above comments - are they inappropriate or offside in any way? This is unfortunate. I was about to buy a small Red Sea tank (170) but will steer clear until some transparency emerges.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has banned me from their Facebook group. Check out my above comments - are they inappropriate or offside in any way? This is unfortunate. I was about to buy a small Red Sea tank (170) but will steer clear until some transparency emerges.

I've never joined but from what I hear they are pretty bad over there for this type of thing.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never was a fan of their customer service. They sent me through the wringer over the smallest return of a defective item. That said I'm a masochist and bought a RSR250. Seems like Red Sea and Waterbox have taken over the non-custom market sadly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back