What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums (maybe that's the one in Dallas you are talking about?)
Glass Cages used to be not the best quality. But they are under new management as of a couple years ago, and people seem to be really happy with their tanks now.

I agree. Rimless tanks are inherently flawed. Personally anything over about a 2' cube, I wouldn't go that way.
There are rimless looking tanks that have eurobracing, like SCA, that I would be comfortable with.
It didn't come from Planet aquariums but rather Deep Sea Aquatics. I misspoke on the Oceanic part but supposedly the people at DSA came from Oceanic. Good thing I never had a problem because they went out of business not long after while tank was still under warranty.
Planet aquariums is a possibility I neglected. I have looked at glass cages in the past but always dismissed them for one reason. If I remember right, they didn't deliver and they expected you to meet them at whatever show they happened to be going to for pickup. I did look and that appears to have changed now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders posted my request thread in their forum. That's solid. it doesn't mean one iota they are required to write on it, I'm sure several people send them requests for articles. I thought merely posting the thread was straight up of them.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - didn't know - but I don't usually believe the 'word on the street' on Facebook. But - it's good to know if thats an issue.
It's not just tank leaks. I was (and still am) banned for complaining about the fittings on ReefLED 160 lights. My post contained no profanity or insults, except to say that expecting a single 2mm screw in one side to support the weight of these lights was probably unsafe, and in my opinion idiotic.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not just tank leaks. I was (and still am) banned for complaining about the fittings on ReefLED 160 lights. My post contained no profanity or insults, except to say that expecting a single 2mm screw in one side to support the weight of these lights was probably unsafe, and in my opinion idiotic.
Did the light fail? (or the screw)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree - They could have used two screws as Aqua Illumination does to secure the light a little better

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm no RS defender, but if you call the design idiotic, that's likely to be taken as an insult. I'd be curious if you would have met the same fate omitting the idiotic part.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the light fail? (or the screw)?
Neither. Yet.

I tried to download a set of assembly instructions for the mounting arm so I could show you the problem, however, the only instructions I could find show two screws to fix the light to the mounting arm (maybe they read my post before kicking me off their group). But I'll try to explain anyway. Below is my setup.
20230415_171721.jpg

A single, small screw attaches the light to the mounting arm at point A. Those lights are heavy, there's already too much torque on that screw. Those lights inevitably get knocked when working in the tank, and too hard a knock would probably shear that screw. Fortunately, the arm hinges at point C, so you can swing the arm out of the way - but there is no way to secure it, so again, an accidental knock and that arm could swing back down, shearing the screw and dumping the light in the tank.

Another idiotic design decision is the mechanism for maintaining the lights at the required angle. Once again it's a single screw, which needs to be tightened hard against the mounting bracket because the only thing holding it is friction. No ratchet or spline, just a small crosshead screw tightened against the mounting bracket. The slightest knock will cause them to drop again, and the repeated adjust/retighten over the first few months I owned this tank have caused the cross head to degrade to the point that it can no longer be tightened sufficiently to hold the lights. Hence the stupid angle I have mine currently set at. I'll replace them with hex head screws, but it irks me that I need to. These lights, like all Red Sea gear, were expensive.

Does that explain why I complained about these lights on an RS forum?

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no RS defender, but if you call the design idiotic, that's likely to be taken as an insult. I'd be curious if you would have met the same fate omitting the idiotic part.
How would you describe it?

Let me rephrase that, as it appears at least one member below thinks I'm trying to pick a fight.

Would you have designed it like that? Would anyone with an ounce of common sense have designed it like that? I think it is idiotic.

Anyway, the thread topic is not lights. I posted above because of Mnfish's post about the 'word on the street', and I wanted to confirm RS were indeed guilty of banning people whose opinions they don't like.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would you describe it?

Let me rephrase that, as it appears at least one member below thinks I'm trying to pick a fight.

Would you have designed it like that? Would anyone with an ounce of common sense have designed it like that? I think it is idiotic.

Anyway, the thread topic is not lights. I posted above because of Mnfish's post about the 'word on the street', and I wanted to confirm RS were indeed guilty of banning people whose opinions they don't like.
I agree with you - they way they look seems like an odd design. Odd enough for me to wonder if you got all the parts, etc. However that said - even though I agree with you that it very well could be 'idiotic'. I would not have posted that to their Facebook page. Instead, I would have called their customer service department - complained - and asked to return them (assuming you got them new - if you got them used - I wouldn't have gotten them) - a lot of groups have become very very very sensitive to 'insult words'. My guess - is that if you, for example, called another poster or vendor here an 'idiot' - your post would be removed - and you would get a warning.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you - they way they look seems like an odd design. Odd enough for me to wonder if you got all the parts, etc. However that said - even though I agree with you that it very well could be 'idiotic'. I would not have posted that to their Facebook page. Instead, I would have called their customer service department - complained - and asked to return them (assuming you got them new - if you got them used - I wouldn't have gotten them) - a lot of groups have become very very very sensitive to 'insult words'. My guess - is that if you, for example, called another poster or vendor here an 'idiot' - your post would be removed - and you would get a warning.
The lights were included in Reefer G2 525 XL bundle, which cost me over £3,000. In total I've spent over £5,000 with RS. Which I think entitles me to be a bit grumpy.

My 'idiotic' comment was made in a conversation with another poster who was of the same opinion, not addressing RS directly. No doubt he is also no longer welcome there.

I'd seen other threads disappear too, commonly about tank failures. A strange way to treat unhappy customers.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My right hand light looked the same way, droopy. It is a bad design.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The lights were included in Reefer G2 525 XL bundle, which cost me over £3,000. In total I've spent over £5,000 with RS. Which I think entitles me to be a bit grumpy.

My 'idiotic' comment was made in a conversation with another poster who was of the same opinion, not addressing RS directly. No doubt he is also no longer welcome there.

I'd seen other threads disappear too, commonly about tank failures. A strange way to treat unhappy customers.
It would be my guess that RedSea feels that the forum for discussions of problems is with their customer service people - as compared to on a public forum on THEIR Facebook page. Additionally there are plenty of other sites that allow reviews/complaints about products.

I would bet that most companies would not allow these types of discussions on their social media - which they are using to advertise product. R2R for example has (or had) a policy - that you can be removed (your post or you) - if you repeatedly argue with MODS. It doesn't matter if they are right or they are wrong - it's their policy. Without bringing up old news, R2R banned several topics I believe a couple years ago - which resulted in several people leaving etc. (Not trying to bring that issue up again) - just saying.

PS - one reason companies do this is if they remove all negative comments - they are making sure that it's not fake people posting on their Facebook (ie. competitors, etc). Now - one could say 'is that fair' - i.e. if RedSea remove negative comments but leave positives that favor them - but thats another issue imho

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to open up a RS LED90 to see if I could find out why it was turning off when I bumped the intensity past about 95% and found a pinch point where the incoming power wiring had been smashed flat. I looked at this from a pure design perspective and told them that it's likely not an issue a majority of the time, and it wasn't with mine, but it could evolve into an issue or others could have an issue from the get-go. It was completely avoidable and it was obvious to me that it was a known issue because of what appeared to be a modification of one of the molded parts to account for the small gap - meaning, the work-around was not to simply just make the wires 1/4" longer or ensure they were not "stacked" in the gap (which caused them to get significantly smashed/flattened upon assembly, if one was not careful/aware of the issue).

Now if it was just this one thing with their products from a design perspective, ok...but there seems to be more of a pattern here of just not well thought out details. Oh, and the app sucks donkey *.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to open up a RS LED90 to see if I could find out why it was turning off when I bumped the intensity past about 95% and found a pinch point where the incoming power wiring had been smashed flat. I looked at this from a pure design perspective and told them that it's likely not an issue a majority of the time, and it wasn't with mine, but it could evolve into an issue or others could have an issue from the get-go. It was completely avoidable and it was obvious to me that it was a known issue because of what appeared to be a modification of one of the molded parts to account for the small gap - meaning, the work-around was not to simply just make the wires 1/4" longer or ensure they were not "stacked" in the gap (which caused them to get significantly smashed/flattened upon assembly, if one was not careful/aware of the issue).

Now if it was just this one thing with their products from a design perspective, ok...but there seems to be more of a pattern here of just not well thought out details. Oh, and the app sucks donkey *.

The app really does suck, but even further the RS 90 has god awful signal issues. I normally have between 30-50 devices attached to my wireless at home, split between 4 Unifi access points. The RS 90 were the only devices that stayed at a "low" signal, likely because the antennae on these things just cannot penetrate that metal housing.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New one, see recent post

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the rate of failures are jaw to the ground shocking.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are bored Brandon, it would be cool to try and track how many RS seam failures have been reported on R2R over the past year or so. It feels like there is a new one every week or two lately.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back