What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, no one goes online to be extremely vocal about things going just fine. How many 750XXLs are out there? Are two failures really an 'epidemic'?

I don't have a horse in this race, my tank is a custom build from my LFS, but any product can fail.

I think as long as the BRS one holds together, they'll be fine ;Smug

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one isn’t Red Sea related but I’ve been hearing about Marineland tank failures and I have one so far with zero issues. But if I ever do have a failure it’ll be in the garage cause that’s where my tanks are kept
I worked for a high volume marineland retailer for a good while doing installs most of our failures where the 7’ 265 gallons (highest failure) and the 200 and 300 gallon deep demisions. It’s typically the bottom seem on the back side that fail (a few inches or 3-4’ seperates) some just leak and others blow out dumping the entire tank. Mind you almost all of them failed on marineland stands, and they void warranties if use anything they don’t approve/back like all manufactures. They've really done nothing to fix this at all and we always made sure the stand/floor beneath it were level they always replaced them would cover some of damages with the threat of losing our business. If you don’t have the 3 above you’re good I wouldn’t worry.

Mike Biggars (Big R Corals) had his old marineland 265 blowout I believe lol

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, my local fish store is a Red Sea dealer. I was talking to the manager a few days ago and he told me Red Sea has sent out a message regarding the recent failures. Basically they are investigating them.
Many policies do not cover aquarium damage (according to my agent - we need a special rider) - and none of them cover 'livestock' i.e. fish, live rock, coral, etc.
I had a F1 tornado come threw in 2004 that ended may previous foray in the hobby. tanks and live stock definitely not covered but 500$ for already dead live stock (freezer beef) was covered;Blackeye

While assembling my RS 425xl I questioned the stand construction, the top is sandwiched between the side panels. that gives the tank 3 differing surfaces to sit on. Thats not cool in my book! I can now hardly wait to fill with watero_O

Last edited:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, no one goes online to be extremely vocal about things going just fine. How many 750XXLs are out there? Are two failures really an 'epidemic'?

I don't have a horse in this race, my tank is a custom build from my LFS, but any product can fail.
I have seen one personality and know of 4 more fairly close to me. If you have ever had a tank failure it's a huge mess. I have 2 and I hope and pray never again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen one personality and know of 4 more fairly close to me. If you have ever had a tank failure it's a huge mess. I have 2 and I hope and pray never again

Im curious - can you document what happened (i.e. how long the tank was set up, the size, stand issues, other specifics) of these 4 issues. I'm sure you must know them - and it might help those of us with these tanks. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a shame as I have high regards for Red Sea.+
May explain the recent increased sales for Waterbox systems

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 525xl, no tank leaks but after a year the sump cracked straight across the bottom in the dead center front to back. It was inside the cabinet (level) and on the foam insert with no pebbles etc under it. RS told me it wasn’t level that’s all that would cause that and not warranty. They did offer to sell me another for $510 (supposed to be $50 off) plus $300 freight. I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery however.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 150 gal rimless, and quite honestly dont see much difference from that tank to Red Seas and Waterbox. Being they are all made in China, besides higher end tanks for top $$, every tank these days are prone to leaks/pane failures.

Not pointing fingers here, but besides Marinelands(which will fail, eventually), all other tanks are on the same boat/risk.

Based on how many are sold vs fail, RS’s tanks are very reliable tanks

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill stick to my 37 year old rimmed tank thanks.

I see no problem with a little 1 or 2 inch plastic rim on the top.. to me it isnt worth the risk.. thats just me though.

I also dont buy tanks any newer them 10 to 15 years old.

The new tanks today are built poorly... it took me 3 petcos and probly 17 diff 20 gallon long tanks to find that didnt have a clear seem failure or silicone problem.

Alot of the marineland and top fin 125 abd 150s the silicone on them is paper thin.... paper thin silicone on the inside seals flakes apart after just a few years... inner seals need to be as thick as the glass

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 750 for a year. Before I got it I spent quite a bit of time googling for “catastrophic” failures and haven’t found any. There were some reports of plumbing-related leaks etc.

This stuff is pretty scary and I feel for those who’ve had issues. It would be nice if RS reported some directional failure rate but of course reporting even 0.01% would cause sales to drop....I still don’t feel this problem is that prevalent. There are probably hundreds of 750 owners just on R2R.

Unfortunately, short of getting out of the hobby all we can hope for is no leaks and worst case for a slow leak. Nothing one can do for a catastrophic failure..

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never liked rimless tanks for that possibility and also sloshing over the rim. The idea of blank space at the top never did it for me. I do not think they look better but that is personal taste. Wish you all the best of luck. Equipment failures can be heart breaking. Thanks for the info.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it would be such a big deal to say they are China made, 99.99999999997% of products in this industry are made in China ;Hilarious

It is curious though. Made in China does not have to mean poor quality (that depends on the price point something is built to) but it does mean labor arbitrage. I would have thought the the shipping costs/shipping damage would offset any labor advantage. Maybe RedSea sells most of their tanks in region.

Anyhow, two failures does not a trend make. Though I do not personally like their stands, on of my LFS claims to have had zero tank failures among the many hundreds of tanks they have sold.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is curious though. Made in China does not have to mean poor quality (that depends on the price point something is built to) but it does mean labor arbitrage. I would have thought the the shipping costs/shipping damage would offset any labor advantage. Maybe RedSea sells most of their tanks in region.

Anyhow, two failures does not a trend make. Though I do not personally like their stands, on of my LFS claims to have had zero tank failures among the many hundreds of tanks they have sold.

+1 re.stand. I’m pretty amazed it holds. At best, marginally better than ikea furniture...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who mentioned ‘epidemic’ other than you, just then?

The fact 3-4 tanks have failed isn’t really the point. It’s the manufacturers response that is under scrutiny.

I don’t have Red Sea tanks, and I’m not in the market because I think my marine land 180 is just fine, and looks like it’ll hold up fine.

But I did buy into the claims of a different manufacturer for a different product, that didn’t work as claimed, really badly so, and have been the ‘victim’ of poor customer service. To the point I was called a liar and of ‘having an agenda’.

So I can appreciate the frustrations borne out of anything less than complete transparency when something goes wrong

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who mentioned ‘epidemic’ other than you, just then?

The fact 3-4 tanks have failed isn’t really the point. It’s the manufacturers response that is under scrutiny.

I don’t have Red Sea tanks, and I’m not in the market because I think my marine land 180 is just fine, and looks like it’ll hold up fine.

But I did buy into the claims of a different manufacturer for a different product, that didn’t work as claimed, really badly so, and have been the ‘victim’ of poor customer service. To the point I was called a liar and of ‘having an agenda’.

So I can appreciate the frustrations borne out of anything less than complete transparency when something goes wrong

Agreed. You can always tell when someone just reads the post title, decides what the post is about, and then posts their opinion on it. The fact that this is a customer support issue has been mentioned several times.

As far as the “vocal few” point goes:

Customer service tends to be excellent when you are trying to give someone your money. It’s what a company does when they already have it and you have an issue that differs. That’s why the experience of the few people with failures is important to hear.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just getting back in hobby after 12 or so years. I went with the RS 425xl. I looked at the 525 but I’ve never had a rimless tank before and it made me very nervous. I’m not a huge fan of the stand so I had my LFS (big RS dealer) put the stand together for me. I just don’t understand how the leveling feet are a good idea. The tank will settle and making it 100% level long term seems impossible to me. Even mine has settled and it was 100% level when installed and first filled. Fingers crossed....

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious - can you document what happened (i.e. how long the tank was set up, the size, stand issues, other specifics) of these 4 issues. I'm sure you must know them - and it might help those of us with these tanks. Thanks.
3 of them were for sure seam failures, the one I saw was a bottom back wall seam. I do not really have any pictures the one that I did see I just came to help clean up and brought beer to make him feel better oh yeah and I also brought some home mad Kahlua to get his wife drunk she was sort of freaking out it's a lot of water on the floor. The other 4 I am very good friends with a LFS owner that does a lot of tank maintenance, when I was looking at tanks he told me about these.

Back