What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an extremely frightening read!

I don't have a Red Sea tank but I truly feel for those of you that do.

I "almost" purchased a RS Reefer 750XXL bit opted to get a SCA 180 gallon instead.

Good luck to all of you!
I can't imagine what it must be like to have that kind of worry in the back (or front) of your mind.
I was actually looking at an SCA 220 when I was shopping around and there were a couple failures that changed my mind, (nowhere near the amount of the RS 750s here though). One in particular was a 200+ that ruined the entire living room and SCA would not do anything about it so the guy posted everywhere he could and it wasn't until he got a lawyer that all the posts all of a sudden disappeared and I cannot seem to find them anymore.I assume that they eventually replaced his tank and part of that was probably to make him delete all his posts, but it took over a year as far as I can remember. That incident and the reports of their horrible customer service were two reasons I went with RS over them.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it while I was up close to the tank, before I installed the support. And I never had any sag in the stand.

Red Sea responded... a new tank is on the way and should be here by the end of the week. Excellent customer service! Although this is unfortunate I am glad to see that Red Sea is standing behind their product. Maybe I'll get version 3 of the 750 XXL.

Awesome!!!

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still blows my mind to spend $5k and go to sleep every night with a vision of your room filled with water, can't even imagine.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a persons build of a new 625 and his tank came with the retrofit kit that is for the 750. So what’s this mean for the 625 owners now?

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to know what's the longest someone has owned a rimless RS tank? Rimless in general?
I want one to be my next tank I really like the RS peninsula 650. I did not see anyone comment on that tank having issues.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it while I was up close to the tank, before I installed the support. And I never had any sag in the stand.

Red Sea responded... a new tank is on the way and should be here by the end of the week. Excellent customer service! Although this is unfortunate I am glad to see that Red Sea is standing behind their product. Maybe I'll get version 3 of the 750 XXL.

Happy to hear a new tank is in the way!

Just curious, are they replacing the stand also?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 425 xl reported burst at the seam on the Red Sea FB wall this afternoon. A commentator said his 525 had as well... Really spooky. Can’t tell if these are lemons or indicative a major issue for smaller tanks as well. My 525 is spooking me.

925799D0-ADCF-4A66-AC51-DFE73FE51CA9.png

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 425 xl reported burst at the seam on the Red Sea FB wall this afternoon. A commentator said his 525 had as well... Really spooky. Can’t tell if these are lemons or indicative a major issue for smaller tanks as well. My 525 is spooking me.

925799D0-ADCF-4A66-AC51-DFE73FE51CA9.png
Hmm, a side seam popping.. don’t see those to often.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to know what's the longest someone has owned a rimless RS tank? Rimless in general?
I want one to be my next tank I really like the RS peninsula 650. I did not see anyone comment on that tank having issues.

7 years on RS250, just under 4 yrs on 525, 1 yr on 650 pen for me.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have anxiety about my Reefer 350 these days. I guess it’s normal with age, but it feels like the silicon seam is getting perpetually smaller as coralline gets into it. And I am very careful not to get close to it when scraping the glass.

KPdfnjr.jpg

Dear god clean your wetside .... lol

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have anxiety about my Reefer 350 these days. I guess it’s normal with age, but it feels like the silicon seam is getting perpetually smaller as coralline gets into it. And I am very careful not to get close to it when scraping the glass.

KPdfnjr.jpg
Pretty dang scary. My 525 is scaring me. Regretting not ponying up for an acrylic job lately.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyre looks like that... Priorities... Make money, or clean the gyre? Play with my kids, or clean the gyre? Put them to bed or clean the gyre? Scrape the glass or clean the gyre? Exercise or clean the gyre? The cycle of life.

Same situation. Extra wetside. Swap out and keep one soaking in vinigar. Swap out in 15 seconds. ;Smuggrin

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's awesome!

Aside from some troubles with the flimsy downpipe plumbing, I/we have had a very satisfactory experience with RS tanks.

That said, with in person touch and feel, I found the Waterbox stuff to be in several ways a notch above RS. I spent an hour crawling all over their 190.5 at MACNA this year and was very impressed with the build and materials used. Very impressed.

That all said, I have never put one together and run it. Nor have I known/spoken to anyone with a year old running WB system. I am following several WB build threads here to see where it goes. My LFS just signed up as a retailer so I should get the chance to put one together soon.

The last thing I will posit: Red Sea has the capacity to make good on failures for customers. Maybe WaterBox could too. Maybe.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back