What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I was debating a 750 vs a waterbox 230 for my upgrade next year. Looks like it’ll be waterbox vs sca 180 eurobrace.

I wouldnt let this thread stop you from considering a Red Sea. The point of this thread is to be open and transparent. I dont care if there are problems with a product I buy to a certain extent. I care more about how the situation is handled moving forward. And I certainly don't want things hidden/manipulated. Isnt that the whole point we are here? Reviews? To share our experiences? Learn from each other etc? A failure here and there isnt necessarily the end of the world considering all the variables, manufacturer defect, shipping damage, customer induced problem etc.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure your insurance will over it and then they will go after Redsea. I had a 1 year old dishwasher spring a look around the pump. My insurance covered $10k worth of damage and then they went after the manufacturer. A year or so later I got a check back for my deductible.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one isn’t Red Sea related but I’ve been hearing about Marineland tank failures and I have one so far with zero issues. But if I ever do have a failure it’ll be in the garage cause that’s where my tanks are kept

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt let this thread stop you from considering a Red Sea. The point of this thread is to be open and transparent. I dont care if there are problems with a product I buy to a certain extent. I care more about how the situation is handled moving forward. And I certainly don't want things hidden/manipulated. Isnt that the whole point we are here? Reviews? To share our experiences? Learn from each other etc? A failure here and there isnt necessarily the end of the world considering all the variables, manufacturer defect, shipping damage, customer induced problem etc.

Absolutely. I’m not saying I’ll avoid them for fear of a leak. I’ve worked with SCA and found them excellent, and the waterbox issues I’ve seen on here all seen appropriately addressed. My issue is the way this appears to have been handled. If they are all comparable tanks, it’s the company track record that becomes the deciding factor.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
This one isn’t Red Sea related but I’ve been hearing about Marineland tank failures and I have one so far with zero issues. But if I ever do have a failure it’ll be in the garage cause that’s where my tanks are kept

Search the net and there are several Marineland 300 DD tank lead threads. I'm not going to say how many but I will say that those I did read kept me away from the tank. The reason why I stayed away from Red Sea tanks is because of their stand.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search the net and there are several Marineland 300 DD tank lead threads. I'm not going to say how many but I will say that those I did read kept me away from the tank. The reason why I stayed away from Red Sea tanks is because of their stand.
Mine is the 200 DD. Fingers are always crossed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure your insurance will over it and then they will go after Redsea. I had a 1 year old dishwasher spring a look around the pump. My insurance covered $10k worth of damage and then they went after the manufacturer. A year or so later I got a check back for my deductible.
Many policies do not cover aquarium damage (according to my agent - we need a special rider) - and none of them cover 'livestock' i.e. fish, live rock, coral, etc.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend had a Red Sea leak too and they tried to blame it on him. They finally replaced it. But they are Chinese made. I got taken out of a FB group because I said that and someone said they were made in Houston, but they are just a distribution hub in Houston.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend had a Red Sea leak too and they tried to blame it on him. They finally replaced it. But they are Chinese made. I got taken out of a FB group because I said that and someone said they were made in Houston, but they are just a distribution hub in Houston.

Not sure why it would be such a big deal to say they are China made, 99.99999999997% of products in this industry are made in China ;Hilarious

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it would be such a big deal to say they are China made, 99.99999999997% of products in this industry are made in China ;Hilarious
That's kind of what I thought too I was honest but I did sort of talk about Chinese junk and so on got a lot of people going. Myself they take a long time to get made but worth it I will stick to Tank Me USA tanks

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I heard a few different companies are made in China, in the same area. I even heard the same factory. Not sure if true or not. Maybe someone can confirm?

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read several horror stories lately of their various tanks failing. Take days to get a response and some they wouldn't even cover under their warranty. Really a shame to invest all that money and have the tank fail.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a poll asking about whether people are happy with the noise levels of the Red Sea Skimmers. That’ll get deleted too ;)

Lol. Well, I got a fix for that. Designed and 3d printed one, based upon Nyos type of a air chamber/silencer. Works like a charm. Day and night when compared to a factory one. My build thread has the details.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I thought too I was honest but I did sort of talk about Chinese junk and so on got a lot of people going. Myself they take a long time to get made but worth it I will stick to Tank Me USA tanks

I went with Miracles, but totally get your point. :)

I heard a few different companies are made in China, in the same area. I even heard the same factory. Not sure if true or not. Maybe someone can confirm?

I can't confirm but I also can't see China having 10 different glass factories making Aquariums. I could totally see Red Sea and Waterbox being made even on the same lines.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190811-102938_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many 750XXLs are out there? Are two failures really an 'epidemic'?
Same thought here, so many 750 outhere since they have been launched.
Not sure why 2 or 3 failures with 1 of them being reported to be a bottom crack and not silicone leak related is making so much noise about their tank quality. :rolleyes:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back