What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While this is true to a point, most people aren't looking to scam anyone... In the case of my issue with the 425, I have tons of photos up that illustrate the problem; I have screenshots of my emails with Red Sea, and their responses. And I certainly didn't warp the bottom of a tank by bumping into it. *shrug* There are times when a product is clearly flawed. And when the manufacturer doesn't stand behind it, and refuses to admit the issue, that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, to say the least.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread or anywhere.. I also agree there are bad companies out there. I am just saying manufacturers are in a hard spot with scammers out there and it happens... The real problem is the scammers ruin it for the honest people...

Look at liveaqauria had to change their policy and up their prices. They used to not require a photo but how many people said their fish died and didn't. But how many people did not care because of the warranty and did not acclimate right or at all.. Who care fish dies they replace it.. LA had to up their price for to cover the scammers. Then they had to now require a picture. These scammers hurt everyone.

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an example of a crazy failure I experienced when doing installs. Showing that most failures are not manufacture related even when you think they might be.

Installed a custom peninsula 180 for a customer and the tank split corner to corner. I thought, "I measured the tank and stand meticulously with a level everything was perfect. The tank must have been defective."

Manufacture replaced the tank. Second tank broke in almost the same way. Got really frustrated now. Eventually I asked the customer for permission to pull up his carpet and found that 2 concrete slabs connected right where the tank sat and they had about a 3/4 in height difference. The carpet was crazy long 70s ish carpet and the height difference wasn't obvious until it was removed. After grinding down the slab and replacing the tank for a 3rd time everything was fine. The tank has been in the same location for several years now.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just an example of a crazy failure I experienced when doing installs. Showing that most failures are not manufacture related even when you think they might be.

Installed a custom peninsula 180 for a customer and the tank split corner to corner. I thought, "I measured the tank and stand meticulously with a level everything was perfect. The tank must have been defective."

Manufacture replaced the tank. Second tank broke in almost the same way. Got really frustrated now. Eventually I asked the customer for permission to pull up his carpet and found that 2 concrete slabs connected right where the tank sat and they had about a 3/4 in height difference. The carpet was crazy long 70s ish carpet and the height difference wasn't obvious until it was removed. After grinding down the slab and replacing the tank for a 3rd time everything was fine. The tank has been in the same location for several years now.

You know another example to to this and my posts is sometimes people do not know.. You level a tank and fill with water but over time the floor warps from the weight.. Take blows out they think it is a bad tank...Sometimes people just do not know and want to blame the manufacturer.. The manufacturer cant come out and investigate..

I may sound like I am defending the manufacturers but I not..

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it is not a issue or RedSea does not have a tank fail because of a flaw or what ever but I just do not trust some people anymore. What worries me is there are so many dishonest people on the internet. So many people trying to scam someone.

Someone is moving a piece of furniture and they bump the tank and the side bust out. So they get on the internet to scream bloody murder looking for a replacement tank even though it was their fault.

Someone bumps the tank moving it in the house after they purchased it and chips it.. look my tank came chipped...

I know there was a thread recently on the other forum where someone was screaming bloody murder saying a nameless company would not replace a broken tank of his.. After finally producing pictures it was no doubt not a manufacture problem it was due to his plumbing.

It is so easy with the internet to ruin a companies reputation... Everyone wants to assume the person posting something is telling the truth and honest though but it is getting hard too...

Absolutely! That is the reason why it upsets me when people go in a forum and rant about cases of which they don't know all the details.

It's so much easier to blame accompany which is large and successful than a customer with whom people relate. That is why these few and far between stories blow up the internet and all the while the person who is the "victim" has everyone sympathizing at their plight. Weather they are at fault or the company is at fault, it still puts the company in a place where they get vilified on the forums and public media.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You level a tank and fill with water but over time the floor warps from the weight.. Take blows out they think it is a bad tank...Sometimes people just do not know and want to blame the manufacturer.
I am actually surprised we don't hear about more blowouts, very rarely does that topic arise, its a glass box with a load of pressure against it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While this is true to a point, most people aren't looking to scam anyone... In the case of my issue with the 425, I have tons of photos up that illustrate the problem; I have screenshots of my emails with Red Sea, and their responses. And I certainly didn't warp the bottom of a tank by bumping into it. *shrug* There are times when a product is clearly flawed. And when the manufacturer doesn't stand behind it, and refuses to admit the issue, that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, to say the least.

If I'm remembering this correctly - RedSea did respond to you - they said the tank was ok - several people on that thread agreed with RedSea - several said they wouldn't trust it. What I dont understand - why would you have bought a larger RedSea tank if you had a question about the company? Franky - this has nothing to do with this topic - and your other post shoudl probably be in the Vendor feedback section. rather than the open forum - given the rules of the site. Perhaps the #reefsquad can decide whether this continued bashing of a company which imho - has no basis - over bashing any other - should continue

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would it be vendor feedback? This is a discussion about an issue that has the potential to be widespread. It's not focused solely on any one individuals experience. And to that point what bashing is going on? If people are discussing issues that have come up with the company’s product it should be able to be discussed. Unless someone is being outright hostile or derogatory in their commenting why would you suggest discussion should be halted?

I don't believe Red Sea is facing a recall on their large tanks but I also think it’s ridiculous to basically call for the topic to be censored or discussion stifled behind the ridiculous vendor feedback rules.

To reiterate, OP started this thread BECAUSE the topic was censored and he was banned from the facebook group.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would it be vendor feedback? This is a discussion about an issue that has the potential to be widespread. It's not focused solely on any one individuals experience. And to that point what bashing is going on? If people are discussing issues that have come up with the company’s product it should be able to be discussed. Unless someone is being outright hostile or derogatory in their commenting why would you suggest discussion should be halted?

I don't believe Red Sea is facing a recall on their large tanks but I also think it’s ridiculous to basically call for the topic to be censored or discussion stifled behind the ridiculous vendor feedback rules.

To reiterate, OP started this thread BECAUSE the topic was censored and he was banned from the facebook group.

I wasnt talking about 'the OP here'. I was talking about the other user - who started a long thread about his tank being warped - got a response from Redsea - had mixed reviews/opinions on another thread - and then bought a larger tank from Redsea - now comes to this thread regurgitating all of it. The vendor feedback policy is something I don't entirely understand - and to me its not always enforced - so I asked a question. It was nothing personal about anyone or a company

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why they don't just pull a Neptune and have R2R delete all his comments. :p

It was crazy watching Neptune spend the first few days, after launch, just getting defensive and talking down to people. Fairly typical for them though. It took ~3-4 days before they actually started helping people and answering questions. And that was after people started calling them out on their poor behavior.

I don't know, maybe this hobby (and these companies) are much smaller than I realize. But many behave in a manner of a small mom-n-pop eBay store and not seasoned professionals.

While likely good people, many are not equipped to be the public face of a company. (I know I wouldn't be) And a lot of these companies need to rethink how they interact with their customers.

Last edited:

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasnt talking about 'the OP here'. I was talking about the other user - who started a long thread about his tank being warped - got a response from Redsea - had mixed reviews/opinions on another thread - and then bought a larger tank from Redsea - now comes to this thread regurgitating all of it. The vendor feedback policy is something I don't entirely understand - and to me its not always enforced - so I asked a question. It was nothing personal about anyone or a company
Ah I see. Thank you for the clarification. The vendor feedback policy is arbitrarily enforced and really it only removes pressure from the vendor by not allowing supporting opinions in the topic. Instead of this topic being 6 pages long with numerous anecdotal experiences and additional information about the topic it would be sitting in the Vendor Feedback subforum with two posts from the OP and a mod saying "we deleted everything else" and then nothing would ever come of the topic.

However, in this thread we have a pretty healthy exchange of information. Hopefully Red Sea doesn't have any more issues but now when someone experiences issues with a leaking or failed 750 XXL and they google it this thread will likely pop up and they can then learn about Red Seas new 3 year warranty as well as information from others about what dealing with customer service was like, etc.

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The OP gave you his side of the story.

The OP only gave his side of the story. One comment would not get someone banned unless it's grievously and very obviously against the group rules and Community standards.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The OP only gave his side of the story.
Very true! But he has not broken any of R2R's rule by posting about the issue or his experience with the Facebook group so calling for the thread to be closed or moved is worth objecting to on principle. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very true! But he has not broken any of R2R's rule by posting about the issue or his experience with the Facebook group so calling for the thread to be closed or moved is worth objecting to on principle. :)

Whether he has or hasn't is the purview of the owners of the site - I just brought it up as an example. But - to further the example - to me (and I don't know him - and Im not trying to insult him) - but anyone that goes to a thread posting (again) about a 'problem' they had - which the company said 'was not a problem' - and then others posting that 'you can never trust a company, etc etc etc - as if life is all one big conspiracy theory) to me is an abuse of the site. Its my opinion - whether the site agrees or not - is on them.

U

User1

View Badges
Whether he has or hasn't is the purview of the owners of the site - I just brought it up as an example. But - to further the example - to me (and I don't know him - and Im not trying to insult him) - but anyone that goes to a thread posting (again) about a 'problem' they had - which the company said 'was not a problem' - and then others posting that 'you can never trust a company, etc etc etc - as if life is all one big conspiracy theory) to me is an abuse of the site. Its my opinion - whether the site agrees or not - is on them.

Social media...

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that is human nature? If anyone feels a company has slighted them they will take that view point. Its the natural response for anyone who feels they have experienced injustice.

Think about eBay or Amazon sellers with ratings. If I'm looking at feedback for a vendor or product I always look at the negatives to get an idea about what went wrong and how the company handled it. Not because I necessarily expect to encounter the same issues in quality or service but to have a better understanding of their methods and policies with regard to product support or customer service.

Someone talking about a good or bad experience is just that, an experience. I personally have contacted Red Sea about an incredibly minor and petty issue I had with a tank -- their response was to drop ship a replacement tank the next day. That was in 2013 and I still talk about how amazing Red Sea customer service is to people who ask me about the company. But I'd never come into a thread like this and tell someone they're wrong, misguided, or belligerent because they're discussing an experience they had. Even if it seems redundant. ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that is human nature? If anyone feels a company has slighted them they will take that view point. Its the natural response for anyone who feels they have experienced injustice.

Think about eBay or Amazon sellers with ratings. If I'm looking at feedback for a vendor or product I always look at the negatives to get an idea about what went wrong and how the company handled it. Not because I necessarily expect to encounter the same issues in quality or service but to have a better understanding of their methods and policies with regard to product support or customer service.

Someone talking about a good or bad experience is just that, an experience. I personally have contacted Red Sea about an incredibly minor and petty issue I had with a tank -- their response was to drop ship a replacement tank the next day. That was in 2013 and I still talk about how amazing Red Sea customer service is to people who ask me about the company. But I'd never come into a thread like this and tell someone they're wrong, misguided, or belligerent because they're discussing an experience they had. Even if it seems redundant. ;)

I didnt use any of the words you did (i.e. wrong, misguided, belligerent). At least that wasnt my point. But - Only since you asked - the real situation here I(from what I read - is that the poster on the other thread had a problem. He asked RedSea - they investigated - told him it wasnt a problem - and to go ahead and fill up the tank. Some people on the forum agreed with that - some said he should press the issue with his LFS/Redsea. His then bought a new larger RedSea.

Most of that was not mentioned in the post on this thread - (and to me - is only about 'RedSea customer service and a disagreement that poster had with Red Sea) - he did not have a broken tank, etc etc - nothing like what is being discussed here. Thats why I suggested vendor feedback is the place to discuss his particular issue. No more no less.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to show a positive thing about a 750xxl and that I’m not against Red Sea. Here are some pictures of the right corner of a local 750. Despite the owner induced damage the tank has been holding up and retaining water.
98A65EDB-4192-4FAF-9846-B4A04A8D7452.jpeg

DE0D0279-1DE3-4DF5-A18A-D614AC154490.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back