What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I'm just rewording what someone has already said but it's not like this is a coffee pot breaking or your computer not turning on. A catastrophic failure from a tank like this could ruin an entire home. For instance, I live on the second floor of an appt. building. If this blows me and the guy below me are screwed and I spend the next two years in a legal battle, as if losing my tank wasn't enough. I feel like denying a potential issue is like pouring water on a grease fire.

U

User1

View Badges
Just to show a positive thing about a 750xxl and that I’m not against Red Sea. Here are some pictures of the right corner of a local 750. Despite the owner induced damage the tank has been holding up and retaining water.
98A65EDB-4192-4FAF-9846-B4A04A8D7452.jpeg

DE0D0279-1DE3-4DF5-A18A-D614AC154490.jpeg

There is nothing positive about that other than it will fail. Not a matter of if but when. Sort of like flying a jet with only 1,000 LBS of fuel... You will either land or eject. Your choice. And I hope you are in an air frame that has an ejection seat. Or rather being that pilot being refueled on a key mission and telling refueler sorry buddy, I need yours too...

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is curious though. Made in China does not have to mean poor quality (that depends on the price point something is built to) but it does mean labor arbitrage. I would have thought the the shipping costs/shipping damage would offset any labor advantage. Maybe RedSea sells most of their tanks in region.

Anyhow, two failures does not a trend make. Though I do not personally like their stands, on of my LFS claims to have had zero tank failures among the many hundreds of tanks they have sold.
It also means it sat in a cargo container shipped across the ocean. THAT would be the reason I wouldn't buy a tank built in China.

U

User1

View Badges
If you are into data or data is beautiful or even a data hoarder think about this nugget. How many PetCo 1$ / gallon tanks are out there and wonder what their failure / success rate is.

U

User1

View Badges
One last - @AZMSGT - my earlier message was not really directed at you per say on the "positive" bit. I know you are just showing an example of a damage tank holding water. I may have come in too hot - sorry about that. Hopefully I didn't sound like a .... Didn't mean to.

Edit: removed a word.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also means it sat in a cargo container shipped across the ocean. THAT would be the reason I wouldn't buy a tank built in China.
If I would apply this logic I wouldn’t buy laptops, furniture, phones and a ton of many fragile things I have in my house as most of the things are made in China, due to economic reasons.

I am not saying the tanks didn’t fail but from what I know and from many other Red Sea owners, Red Sea customer service is really good, better than many other equipment reputable brands we all use.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to show a positive thing about a 750xxl and that I’m not against Red Sea. Here are some pictures of the right corner of a local 750. Despite the owner induced damage the tank has been holding up and retaining water.
98A65EDB-4192-4FAF-9846-B4A04A8D7452.jpeg

DE0D0279-1DE3-4DF5-A18A-D614AC154490.jpeg

What's positive about that? I'm positive that that LFS can expect a tsunami in the near future. Hopefully a poor kid isn't standing there when she blows. Actually quite reckless of the store. Potentially setup for one heck of a lawsuit. But maybe they will get lucky and spring a tiny leak at first. This would be best case scenario...

giphy (4).gif

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I’m not going to call out the owner of the tank. But I am impressed that it’s holding tight and has no issues.
I never said LFS BTW.

I think it’s positive that even with a hit that hard it’s still going. If it were my tank I would be on the ball getting in a replacement. But it gives me some confidence on this type of situation with these tanks.

I never started all this on the other post to bash Red Sea. The entire thing scares the heck out of me. It’s news and news worthy. Other people got all upset because I was posting the info. We all know how fanboys can get. But the more I read and hear it’s mainly the 750s. So perhaps my 625 will do well. But I’m also pretty sure there aren’t as many 625s as 750s. So we shall see.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess one problem. is - what are you supposed to do about it - wring your hands? Pray? I have 2 of these tanks. The question I would have is 'is the incidence of these tanks failing any different than other tanks?' and Is there any common denominator which suggests the average Red Sea owner should do anything different? Perhaps it would be a good idea to check one's insurance policy - other than those things - What to do?
You could plan for the ultimate disaster by having all your electronics mounted in a safe location. You could also have the tank located in the basement. Install a leak detector/alarm so that you might catch it before it completely fails

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm remembering this correctly - RedSea did respond to you - they said the tank was ok - several people on that thread agreed with RedSea - several said they wouldn't trust it. What I dont understand - why would you have bought a larger RedSea tank if you had a question about the company? Franky - this has nothing to do with this topic - and your other post shoudl probably be in the Vendor feedback section. rather than the open forum - given the rules of the site. Perhaps the #reefsquad can decide whether this continued bashing of a company which imho - has no basis - over bashing any other - should continue

I'm not sure where in my reply here, or in the post from a few months ago, you found me "bashing a company." All I have done is to share my personal experience... Which is neither made up, nor is it embellished upon.

I documented the issue with plenty of photos, and I documented the company's responses. It's pretty black and white, as far as I am concerned. The only kind of opinion that I've put out there, is my personal view on Red Sea, based on my own personal experience.

As far as agree/disagree, in that entire six page thread, there were maybe three people who thought that tank was fine, and everyone else thought that I would basically be crazy to fill it in my house. Yes, Red Sea responded, and said it was fine; that didn't magically make it okay. After further review, and additional photos, they finally admitted that it was faulty. Would you like me to screenshot that email for you?

Finally, yes, I bought a bigger tank and, no, that doesn't make sense; this much you're right about. But my choices were limited. I couldn't get my money back at that point, and I couldn't get a similar tank from a different manufacturer, because the LFS didn't carry anyone else. So I made the decision to spend more money on a bigger tank from Red Sea, with thicker glass, in order to buy some peace of mind for myself.

In retrospect, any kind of future purchase like this will be on a credit card, through someone like BRS, so as to avoid another similar fiasco, if there is an issue. Like I said, take it how you will... The bottom line is that all of this happened, I didn't make anything up, and I shared the story for the benefit of others. If that somehow displeases you, then so be it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure where in my reply here, or in the post from a few months ago, you found me "bashing a company." All I have done is to share my personal experience... Which is neither made up, nor is it embellished upon.

I documented the issue with plenty of photos, and I documented the company's responses. It's pretty black and white, as far as I am concerned. The only kind of opinion that I've put out there, is my personal view on Red Sea, based on my own personal experience.

As far as agree/disagree, in that entire six page thread, there were maybe three people who thought that tank was fine, and everyone else thought that I would basically be crazy to fill it in my house. Yes, Red Sea responded, and said it was fine; that didn't magically make it okay. After further review, and additional photos, they finally admitted that it was faulty. Would you like me to screenshot that email for you?

Finally, yes, I bought a bigger tank and, no, that doesn't make sense; this much you're right about. But my choices were limited. I couldn't get my money back at that point, and I couldn't get a similar tank from a different manufacturer, because the LFS didn't carry anyone else. So I made the decision to spend more money on a bigger tank from Red Sea, with thicker glass, in order to buy some peace of mind for myself.

In retrospect, any kind of future purchase like this will be on a credit card, through someone like BRS, so as to avoid another similar fiasco, if there is an issue. Like I said, take it how you will... The bottom line is that all of this happened, I didn't make anything up, and I shared the story for the benefit of others. If that somehow displeases you, then so be it.
Realize I wasnt criticizing you are a person or consumer - everyone does what they think they shoudl do 'at the moment'. However, RedSea did say your tank was fine. The 50 armchair quarterbacks here notwithstanding on your other thread might have agreed or disagreed - but - it seems to me - and maybe I'm wrong - the fact that the company reviewed it - with all the possible litigation, problems going forward told you it was ok.

So - your issue was resolved - right? It must have been - or you wouldn't have bought a new tank from the same company (I surely would not have). Then you come here to replay the issue - to me thats not fair - you didnt give all of the information as to why you decided to buy a tank from this dealer that sold you a bad tank (your feeling) - and didnt adequately address it (from what I understand).

And here - I feel for you - you settled for something that you're now nervous about - because of a couple posts here. I own 2 of these tanks. I'm nervous based on the posts as well.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize I wasnt criticizing you are a person or consumer - everyone does what they think they shoudl do 'at the moment'. However, RedSea did say your tank was fine. The 50 armchair quarterbacks here notwithstanding on your other thread might have agreed or disagreed - but - it seems to me - and maybe I'm wrong - the fact that the company reviewed it - with all the possible litigation, problems going forward told you it was ok.

So - your issue was resolved - right? It must have been - or you wouldn't have bought a new tank from the same company (I surely would not have). Then you come here to replay the issue - to me thats not fair - you didnt give all of the information as to why you decided to buy a tank from this dealer that sold you a bad tank (your feeling) - and didnt adequately address it (from what I understand).

And here - I feel for you - you settled for something that you're now nervous about - because of a couple posts here. I own 2 of these tanks. I'm nervous based on the posts as well.

No worries dude, it's not personal here either. =P In my previous life, dealing with consumer issues regarding products is basically what I was in charge of, for a large company. I know how it goes, with a lot of baseless complaints out there. If anything, due to that understanding, my threshold for complaining is actually very high; but I feel that in this case it was justified.

Yes, my issue was resolved, but it was only resolved on account of my persistence... Which took over a month of fighting with them. Inititally, their response was basically fill it up, it should straighten out, and be fine. Which is absurd, because it wasn't a case of it being just slightly out of true, it was significantly warped. Armchair quarterbacks or not, it was visible plain as day just how bad it was; and all of those photos were sent to Red sea. I bought the tank where I bought it because it was a new store that I happened to stop by, liked what I saw, and decided to give them my business. I also had a pile of cash sitting around, so that's what I used to pay for it, which was also part of the reason I bought it locally, instead of online. In any case, the reason I bought there isn't terribly relevant, because it wasn't a tank they had sitting there on display, it was brand new in a crate, drop shipped from Red Sea. The store wasn't the issue. The reason I said that in the future I will only buy something like this online, is twofold; one, is that a company like BRS would have significantly more clout in dealing with a vendor, than a local store and, two, is that I would have a degree of protection from my credit card company.

And again, the reason I bought another tank of theirs, was that I didn't really have another option, based on what the LFS could get me. I have no doubt that Red Sea, overall, makes great products... They wouldn't be in business otherwise, and it was the reason that I went with them in first place. I'm sure 99% of the tanks they make are just fine. But, that doesn't change the fact that I happened to get one of the 1% that weren't fine. Even that I would been understanding about. When you make thousands, or tens of thousands of a product, inevitably some of them will be bad. Had they admitted the issue, and took care of it, I would have no qualms. But they did not, and I had to fight for over a month for it to be made right.

That's where my issue lies. A company should stand behind their product, when an issue occurs. Especially with something like a large aquarium... We're not talking about a coffee maker which, when it breaks, is a minor inconvenience. We're talking about something that can cause catastrophic damage to one's house, and cost tens of thousands of dollars to remediate. Then I came across this post, which talks about more issues, and the how the OP was basically censored for bringing them up. To me, that's a problem. That's all I'm saying.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No worries dude, it's not personal here either. =P In my previous life, dealing with consumer issues regarding products is basically what I was in charge of, for a large company. I know how it goes, with a lot of baseless complaints out there. If anything, due to that understanding, my threshold for complaining is actually very high; but I feel that in this case it was justified.

Yes, my issue was resolved, but it was only resolved on account of my persistence... Which took over a month of fighting with them. Inititally, their response was basically fill it up, it should straighten out, and be fine. Which is absurd, because it wasn't a case of it being just slightly out of true, it was significantly warped. Armchair quarterbacks or not, it was visible plain as day just how bad it was; and all of those photos were sent to Red sea. I bought the tank where I bought it because it was a new store that I happened to stop by, liked what I saw, and decided to give them my business. I also had a pile of cash sitting around, so that's what I used to pay for it, which was also part of the reason I bought it locally, instead of online. In any case, the reason I bought there isn't terribly relevant, because it wasn't a tank they had sitting there on display, it was brand new in a crate, drop shipped from Red Sea. The store wasn't the issue. The reason I said that in the future I will only buy something like this online, is twofold; one, is that a company like BRS would have significantly more clout in dealing with a vendor, than a local store and, two, is that I would have a degree of protection from my credit card company.

And again, the reason I bought another tank of theirs, was that I didn't really have another option, based on what the LFS could get me. I have no doubt that Red Sea, overall, makes great products... They wouldn't be in business otherwise, and it was the reason that I went with them in first place. I'm sure 99% of the tanks they make are just fine. But, that doesn't change the fact that I happened to get one of the 1% that weren't fine. Even that I would been understanding about. When you make thousands, or tens of thousands of a product, inevitably some of them will be bad. Had they admitted the issue, and took care of it, I would have no qualms. But they did not, and I had to fight for over a month for it to be made right.

That's where my issue lies. A company should stand behind their product, when an issue occurs. Especially with something like a large aquarium... We're not talking about a coffee maker which, when it breaks, is a minor inconvenience. We're talking about something that can cause catastrophic damage to one's house, and cost tens of thousands of dollars to remediate. Then I came across this post, which talks about more issues, and the how the OP was basically censored for bringing them up. To me, that's a problem. That's all I'm saying.

I dont know - but IMHO - based on what I've read - they did stand behind it - they said it was 'OK'. I also understand the fear that you would have if you thought it was not good.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Well, I got a fix for that. Designed and 3d printed one, based upon Nyos type of a air chamber/silencer. Works like a charm. Day and night when compared to a factory one. My build thread has the details.
Any chance of the .stl files?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one posted on the Red Sea Facebook group.
My xxl 750 2 years old is leaking any idea?
750 leak.jpg

The problem from what I am piecing together seems to be the stands more than the tank. Over time the stands are bowing just enough on the sides but the piece between the sump and dry area isn't bowing. So this part is putting pressure on that section of the tank and SNAP.

Here's another older thread talking about it too.

Also it is note worthy that Red sea has stopped the 750 production for the moment.

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

750 leak.jpg

The problem from what I am piecing together seems to be the stands more than the tank. Over time the stands are bowing just enough on the sides but the piece between the sump and dry area isn't bowing. So this part is putting pressure on that section of the tank and SNAP.

Also it is note worthy that Red sea has stopped the 750 production for the moment.

No, that is absolutely ridiculous. They have not stopped production and if you insist on spreading conspiracy theories, please get in contact with Red Sea and check your sources.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

750 leak.jpg

Crazy. No issues with my Waterbox 230.6 so far! :p

I cant even imagine dealing with something like this. If you have no other tanks setup... what do you do? What if the leak is on the back side against the wall? You're screwed. Not like you can just pick up the tank and slide it over. By the time you'd notice.... there would be a ton of damage to the wall and flooring I'm sure. I need to ask my home insurance guy on how all this would be handled.

I'd be shocked if production hasnt stopped. But wouldnt surprise me if it hasnt either.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are into data or data is beautiful or even a data hoarder think about this nugget. How many PetCo 1$ / gallon tanks are out there and wonder what their failure / success rate is.
I had to go back twice for new 10g tanks during this most recent $1/g sale, since two tanks I picked up leaked on the first fill. Third time lucky.

So a 66% failure rate.

I think I’ve had to get replacents for a 29g, a 20l and 2 10g in the past year. I’ve bought 4 10g, 2 29, 3 20l.

So 9 tanks, 4 failures. 44% failure rate. All leaked in first fill with tap water to check (lack of) seam integrity

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless Red Sea debt a rep to come out some eyeballs on the tank, how could they possibly know for a fact it was ok?

Nattydread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with any tank you’ve got to be really careful about handling it between the factory and the stand. Rimless, or braced, and even if you do your job, there is no guarantee someone before you didn’t put some kind of unnatural stress on the seem.

I’m surprised more tanks in the US are not built in the homes like in Europe.

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back