What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09/30 RED SEA CONFIRMS DESIGN FLAW!!!

w7hwUwd.jpg

Original post below.

I have seen a few failures lately, especially on their big tanks. A few reports on their 750xxl in last few weeks. One 750xxl had the back pane blow out. The other started leaking at the bottom.

Their Facebook group page is heavily filtered with moderators removing all comments which doesnt favor the company. To give you an example, someone asked if 160+ gallons spilling onto to their floor is covered by home insurance. I said "That would be a question for your insurance company." The comment was deemed "irrelevant", then deleted. Figured my response was pretty relevant....

Hopefully this thread stays open and unchanged unlike their Facebook page. When a conpany has to resort to those kinds of tactics, it's a sign to run for your life. Bottom line, all products in this world have issues... it's just the world we live in. Nothing is perfect. And yes we all know alot of problems are caused by the end customer themselves, and improper installation.

SmartSelect_20190811-045513_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-045234_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-054255_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-052651_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-053900_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-102938_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191113-204046_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20191113-205406_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191113-205928_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really sketchy. What a huge disaster!! How is your home insurance handling it? I think Red Sea is liable even if you needed to sue them.

I'm not someone who had a failure. These are other members who I saw posted on their Facebook group. They muted me for saying that's a question for insurance. I'm assuming they would know. They claimed my comment was irrelevant?

Tell that to the guy who woke up to a swimming pool in his living room.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is known for quality for sure, these larger rimless tanks I feel are REALLY pushing the limits of the 3/4" glass they are made of. It's pretty crazy to see things sort of coming apart literally for these larger tanks. Tanks and equipment can be replaced, but all the life we care so deeply for in our tanks is something we can't get back. Hopefully this isn't a trend for these newer larger rimless tanks and is just a bad batch or two.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been discussed in the Show off your Red Sea Reefer thread. @AZMSGT has been updating the thread there but quite a few people have been dismissive if not hostile about the continued updates.

Hostile, really? That doesn't sound like the internet at all ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I'm not sure what's to he hostile about, if I had a ticking time bomb of 200 gallons of salt water sitting in my living room you can bet I'd be hanging on to every word being said.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hostile, really? That doesn't sound like the internet at all ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I'm not sure what's to he hostile about, if I had a ticking time bomb of 200 gallons of salt water sitting in my living room you can bet I'd be hanging on to every word being said.
I don't want to get into it too heavily but apparently one of the R2R users who was basically defending Red Sea against @AZMSGT updates -- turns out hes an admin of that facebook group. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to get into it too heavily but apparently one of the R2R users who was basically defending Red Sea against @AZMSGT updates -- turns out hes an admin of that facebook group. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not sure why they don't just pull a Neptune and have R2R delete all his comments. :p

Anyway on a more serious note. I wonder why these failures are popping up recently. I still feel it has a lot to do with there choice to go rimless, if you look at IM tanks there new INT line are 10-20 gallons smaller than the larger water boxes and red seas and they didn't risk going rimless.

Last edited:

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary, and a bit sketchy on the way its been handled. I would say that how a company handles these things is important. I saw the post on facebook as well and immediately went around inspecting mine. To be fair, thats a daily task for every tank Ive ever had - a quick spot check to make sure everything's good and I never assume it is.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the look of the large Red Sea rimless tanks but I'm not sure whether the failures are related to the stand design or the glass thickness. It could just be an isolated incident but based on the updates/information I've seen in the SOYRSR thread the failures are tending to show up in the 18 month range. Stand settling? Seams slowly failing? No idea.

I agree though -- at that size I'd prefer to have a eurobrace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep. That's exactly why I posted here. For everyone to view. Hopefully this wont get deleted. Just dont like how things have been handled lately.

Its hard to weed out the truth now a days. That Facebook is governed by admins weed out all the negatives aka the truth. They are fan boys. They want to continue feeling important as "admins". ;Bored:rolleyes::D

I own both Red Sea (525xl & max nano) and Waterbox (230.6). I have no skin in this game.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I guess one problem. is - what are you supposed to do about it - wring your hands? Pray? I have 2 of these tanks. The question I would have is 'is the incidence of these tanks failing any different than other tanks?' and Is there any common denominator which suggests the average Red Sea owner should do anything different? Perhaps it would be a good idea to check one's insurance policy - other than those things - What to do?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the first time I've seen quality-related posts about RS tanks. Two that come to mind were over newly-received tanks/stands where the tank bottom did not appear to be flat (i.e., bowed or warped). The thread OPs were basically asking if it was safe to fill. Most of us said "no way in heck - too much risk". At least one of the OPs reported back that Red Sea said "fill it, it's fine".

My take on it is that defects occur with any manufactured product, and that the proper way to deal with it to preserve your company's reputation is to promptly replace the merchandise. I'm not totally convinced that RS's management understands this.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since I was name dropped I might as well chime in. LOL.

First, my local fish store is a Red Sea dealer. I was talking to the manager a few days ago and he told me Red Sea has sent out a message regarding the recent failures. Basically they are investigating them.

Here’s another 750 that I know of failing. A local owner had the bottom panel crack. The owner had the tank replaced by RS it was only 7 months old. The owner didn’t want anything to do with it afterwards. The local store was selling the entire set up. This was at the same time I was getting ready to buy my 625. They where selling the used 750 set up with the new tank for the same price as a new 625. I almost bought it.. but it would have no warranty so I passed.

Trust me when I say this. I don’t have an axe to grind with Red Sea. I own one. But I’m a concerned owner who has seen these failures just after buying my large tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back