What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can speak to both issues of quality, and customer service when it comes to Red Sea... Seeing this reminded me of my own issue, which I still need to update with the final resolution (I kind of forgot about it), you can find the thread here:

I originally bought a 425 XL through an LFS, and the glass on that thing was so bowed / warped, that it's not even funny. There's plenty of pics (which were also sent to Red Sea) in my thread on it, but I could basically stick my fingers between the tank and the stand, all around half of the tank. In numerous communications with them, at first they kept telling me that there is nothing wrong, and I should just fill the tank, and it would be fine. No thank you. Finally, they said that yes, it's a problem, we'll send you a new tank (just the tank), but they wouldn't pick up the old one, and I would need to figure out how to dispose of it.

I gave up on their famed "customer service" at that point, went back to the LFS, and told him that he needs to figure it out. He got me the 625 XXL that I have now, for which I paid the difference. I figured that with the larger tank, and thicker glass, it would be a lot safer. This thread is certainly giving me concerns now... At least this one does sit perfectly on the stand, I can't even slide a piece of paper between them; which is how it should be, which makes Red Sea's insistence that the other one was fine, all the more ludicrous. I guess we'll see what happens when I finish putting everything together, and get it filled.

I chose them over WaterBox based on everything I heard and read about their quality, and customer support. If I had to do it over again, I certainly would not go with them, based on my experience... Frankly, I would have taken a WaterBox as a replacement after the fiasco with the 425, but unfortunately the LFS I got it from doesn't carry them.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and something else I thought of... They have an ad at the top of this forum that pops up every once in a while, that basically says "register your Reefer system, and receive bonus or a promo" or something like that. When you go to that page, it asks for a password. I posted about it here, in their forum, and no one even replied.

So, yeah... Their customer service is pretty awful, as far as I'm concerned.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will show you the respect that you haven't shown in kind.
That being said, I can tell you that Red Sea didn't delete anything because I'm an Admin of the group. The posts that were deleted, were actually deleted by the OP himself, which is quite interesting in and of itself.
While I understand your worry, it's important to understand that the circumstances behind this particular incident are still under investigation so I suggest not worrying until you have more information.

And what about the OP of this thread...? Did he delete his own post too, then send himself a take-down notification about it, then ban himself from posting in the group?

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as marineland dd tanks had two 300 leak .Everyone talks about level but I am telling you if it is only a little out no problem if it is slightly not straight through the middle of the stand say 1/16 big problem

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dared to heavily criticise red sea and some of their products and total lack of customer service on another forum and after some pm's with mods I got booted off the forum and my account closed.

This is why sponsored forums are really, kind of a problem, politics galore. I notice R2R is running a lot more ads with the new format and also notice BRS has stepped up their YouTube game with the click bait titles and Randy and Ryan in every thumbnail, etc. Unfortunately money still talks.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why sponsored forums are really, kind of a problem, politics galore. I notice R2R is running a lot more ads with the new format and also notice BRS has stepped up their YouTube game with the click bait titles and Randy and Ryan in every thumbnail, etc. Unfortunately money still talks.
I just think any company worth its salt embraces criticism whether good or bad, its the only way to improve things, but it seems Red Sea only want to hear and show good things which I think puts that company in a bad light

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is curious though. Made in China does not have to mean poor quality (that depends on the price point something is built to) but it does mean labor arbitrage. I would have thought the the shipping costs/shipping damage would offset any labor advantage. Maybe RedSea sells most of their tanks in region.

Anyhow, two failures does not a trend make. Though I do not personally like their stands, on of my LFS claims to have had zero tank failures among the many hundreds of tanks they have sold.
Would your LFS be House of Fins or Greenwich Aquaria?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is curious though. Made in China does not have to mean poor quality (that depends on the price point something is built to) but it does mean labor arbitrage. I would have thought the the shipping costs/shipping damage would offset any labor advantage. Maybe RedSea sells most of their tanks in region.

Anyhow, two failures does not a trend make. Though I do not personally like their stands, on of my LFS claims to have had zero tank failures among the many hundreds of tanks they have sold.
100% agree.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random two o'clock in the morning shower thought... Is it possible to get some glass cut, and ADD a euro brace to these tanks? Or would that completely mess up the load distribution that they were designed for?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Random two o'clock in the morning shower thought... Is it possible to get some glass cut, and ADD a euro brace to these tanks? Or would that completely mess up the load distribution that they were designed for?

I am sure you could but why?

You spend that kind of money on a tank why should you have to? They are not cheap...

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no dog in this fight as I don't have any Red Sea equipment. BUT....

So a question and a task for the thread.

When was the last time any of us read a post that started off with.
My tank (Or whatever) is perfect?

Need to keep in mind that humans don't normally talk, post, or comment when things go well, just want to shout at the top of our lungs for everyone to hear about how they were wronged. Then the ones that would not normally bring up the subject ever on their own will however join the mob. We need to keep that in mind.
So how many my ___Fill in the blank____is awesome postings can you find?

I have heard, or read someplace though unproven by me, no matter the situation or product the odds are its an 18 to 1 average of negative to positive. So for every 1 negative that's heard there are 18 success stories that never get heard.

So lets see. I ask all Red Sea owners who are reading this thread to post a thumbs up if they have had a good and trouble free Red Sea tank.
You don't need to write an essay just give a thumbs up emoticon or type the words all good.

I am deciding between the large XXL750 Red Sea and others. so this would help me decide.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Need to keep in mind that humans don't normally talk, post, or comment when things go well, just want to shout at the top of our lungs for everyone to hear about how they were wronged. Then the ones that would not normally bring up the subject ever on their own will however join the mob. We need to keep that in mind.

I have heard, or read someplace though unproven by me, no matter the situation or product the odds are its an 18 to 1 average of negative to positive. So for every 1 negative that's heard there are 18 success stories that never get heard.

So lets see. I ask all Red Sea owners who are reading this thread to post a thumbs up if they have had a good and trouble free Red Sea tank.
You don't need to write an essay just give a thumbs up emoticon or type the words all good.

I am deciding between the large XXL750 Red Sea and others. so this would help me decide.
I own a Red Sea Max S-500 since 2 1/2 years ago, beautiful tank and trouble free. When the tank arrived one of the trim pieces had a small scratch, I talked to Red Sea and they shipped a free replacement part in less than 3 days. I had another incident were one plastic piece got broken and they again had a fantastic service and shipped me the replacement. There are thousands of Red Sea in the market and of course there can be defects (no company is perfect).

If I would have to buy another tank I would buy Red Sea.

Last edited:

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wha

That is so true. In one of my company's management classes they taught us that statistic.

I have a Red Sea Max S500, as well and I'm super happy with it. I've never had any issues with it, knock on wood.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not saying it is not a issue or RedSea does not have a tank fail because of a flaw or what ever but I just do not trust some people anymore. What worries me is there are so many dishonest people on the internet. So many people trying to scam someone.

Someone is moving a piece of furniture and they bump the tank and the side bust out. So they get on the internet to scream bloody murder looking for a replacement tank even though it was their fault.

Someone bumps the tank moving it in the house after they purchased it and chips it.. look my tank came chipped...

I know there was a thread recently on the other forum where someone was screaming bloody murder saying a nameless company would not replace a broken tank of his.. After finally producing pictures it was no doubt not a manufacture problem it was due to his plumbing.

It is so easy with the internet to ruin a companies reputation... Everyone wants to assume the person posting something is telling the truth and honest though but it is getting hard too...

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it is not a issue or RedSea does not have a tank fail because of a flaw or what ever but I just do not trust some people anymore. What worries me is there are so many dishonest people on the internet. So many people trying to scam someone.

Someone is moving a piece of furniture and they bump the tank and the side bust out. So they get on the internet to scream bloody murder looking for a replacement tank even though it was their fault.

Someone bumps the tank moving it in the house after they purchased it and chips it.. look my tank came chipped...

I know there was a thread recently on the other forum where someone was screaming bloody murder saying a nameless company would not replace a broken tank of his.. After finally producing pictures it was no doubt not a manufacture problem it was due to his plumbing.

It is so easy with the internet to ruin a companies reputation... Everyone wants to assume the person posting something is telling the truth and honest though but it is getting hard too...

While this is true to a point, most people aren't looking to scam anyone... In the case of my issue with the 425, I have tons of photos up that illustrate the problem; I have screenshots of my emails with Red Sea, and their responses. And I certainly didn't warp the bottom of a tank by bumping into it. *shrug* There are times when a product is clearly flawed. And when the manufacturer doesn't stand behind it, and refuses to admit the issue, that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, to say the least.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back