What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, ***, that is absolutely ridiculous. They have not stopped production and if you insist on spreading conspiracy theories, please get in contact with Red Sea and check your sources.
First of all, you and I are NOT on a first name basis. The tanks failing is NOT a conspiracy... it’s a FACT X 6 that I have seen so far. One of the people that had the failure posted what Red Sea told them regarding the failure. Hence the cabinet/stand issues.

More than one resource has said that the 750s are on hold.

As for contacting Red Sea they remain pretty tight lipped so when they come forward the customers will listen.

BTW, how much do they pay you to Admin the Facebook page? Did you get merchandise as payment at any point? You’re awful fast to defend them and shoot down anyone criticizing them.

Well, I have skin in this game, I own a tank, a big Red Sea tank. I have a friend with a 750 and they are concerned as well. So my perspective of a concerned customer is warranted. Also other Red Sea owners concerns are equally warranted.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I see that AZMSGT posted the picture from the FB group. I can not find the post anymore and did notice commenting was turned off prior to it disappearing.

There was another failure (750 XXL) last night (8/20/19 about 9PM) posted on Red Sea Max/ Reefer Owners FB page but commenting turned off and the post and picture were deleted. Was not a complete blow out but shooting a steady spray of water (not just dripping) from the front panel at the bottom seam. I have been in the market for a RS 750xxl but this has me seriously questioning it. I was at my LFS Saturday and discussing my ReefLED 90's with the owner who I have been friends with a long time. He told me RS sent out a dealer email about the lights and letting them know they have it "under control and isolated situations". However, after seeing all the leaks/blowouts and light issues I and other are having I am not so sure there is not a QC issue. The power supplies on the LED's are becoming super hot in a lot of cases and in others flickering, sometimes both. I have returned one and now a month into my second one it is flickering every now and then. (cloud settings are off). I think we the consumers are going to need some faith in the RS tanks soon in some sort of public acknowledgement to an issue. Each case I see it is being dealt with in a reclusive manor and described as "isolated".

-Concerned RS customer

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I posted last nights Facebook image already. It’s on the previous page. Thanks though for posting. If I had not been up at 1am ( not a common thing) it would never have been posted here so your post would have been all we had as reference. Thanks, another concerned RS owner.

Another one posted on the Red Sea Facebook group.

750 leak.jpg

The problem from what I am piecing together seems to be the stands more than the tank. Over time the stands are bowing just enough on the sides but the piece between the sump and dry area isn't bowing. So this part is putting pressure on that section of the tank and SNAP.

Here's another older thread talking about it too.

Also it is note worthy that Red sea has stopped the 750 production for the moment.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Facebook group still censoring or deleting these tank failures?

They deleted and censored posts of tanks leaking as of yesterday. I have an secondary account there after my primary one was banned for making a poll asking about whether people were happy with the Red Sea skimmer noise level. I even had permission from a moderator to make the poll, but it was deleted and I was banned after the poll results were negative. If needed I could produce screenshots with names blacked out. Very poor policy.

Btw- love my reefer 350. I’m not a hater of their products, just their crap moderating.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190510_094508.jpg
Here is the first 120 I purchased. Standard 120. I painted the back and bottom over a 6 month period while buying all equipment. Had steel stand built and set it on top. All 4 corners were not in contact. Went back to lfs and they said its fine all our tanks are that way. Looked at a few that were new and some were the same. Long story but lfs took tank back and refunded all my money. They sold it to someone else.
On several tanks in the store including mine it looked like the tanks were picked up on both ends before they were cured. If you stood back you could see the bow in the frame.
After that experience I spent a little more and bought from the lfs I should have in the first place.
The stand is perfectly level with 3/4" sealed plywood top and the new tank sits flat all the way around.
Also I have 2 40 breeders from petco $ days as sumps on 2 systems, no leaks.
From my experience I would make sure any rimmed tank sits flush with your stand before taking delivery.
The petco employee picked up the tank by one end to carry it to my truck. I said Ill take a different one. It says right on the tank not to pick it up like that. Wonder how many failures are caused by this type of handling. I bet its pretty common at petco.

20190510_094439.jpg

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is absolutely ridiculous. They have not stopped production and if you insist on spreading conspiracy theories, please get in contact with Red Sea and check your sources.

Yeesh, dude posts an image that was deleted from the FB page you’re an admin on, and you waste no time aggressively attacking his post haha. If you really don’t work for RedSea and are just a fanboy, it may be time to take a step back. I don’t think you’re doing them any favors with the optics on this thread.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aquarium Failures" FB page has been created. It is a closed group to monitor failure from ANY brand that will not be deleted or moderated. Stick to facts and only what you can prove. Manufacturers are welcome to join but will not have any moderator authority ever.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aquarium Failures" FB page has been created. It is a closed group to monitor failure from ANY brand that will not be deleted or moderated. Stick to facts and only what you can prove. Manufacturers are welcome to join but will not have any moderator authority ever.

Requested to join. I'm Derpie !

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 750 XL - is that evidence that there is no 'real problem' (no I dont think so). If 6 others have had a problem with their tanks does that mean I will? (No - I dont think so). There are so many variables in the mix here right? Is it the stand? The way the tank was shipped? A quick google search shows that at least 2 outlets have the tanks in stock and available for order (fishtanksdirect.com and aquacave.com) - BRS and Saltwateraquariums.com do not. So - seemingly they are not 'pulled from the market' as some have suggested.

Im glad that there is a Facebook page for tank failures - that will give people a better idea whether 6 tanks 'failing' is a 'big deal' - or 'normal'. At this point - I dont think there is any way to know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless Red Sea debt a rep to come out some eyeballs on the tank, how could they possibly know for a fact it was ok?

Exactly - unless they were absolutely sure that there was no problem (i.e. the tank was within their specs). If the tank WASN"T OK, I doubt they would have said 'it was'. If that tank failed - they would be absolutely responsible.

What I find interesting is the number of threads where someone posts - my tank is 1/16 off level - and the number of responses following such a post - with many saying 'its fine' and other suggesting 'its going to be a problem' and yet others suggesting putting shims in places they shouldn't be placed. But the OP has never contacted the company to ask them. (Ps I'm not talking about anyone thats posted on this thread - it was a general observation)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to know what type of floor all the failed tanks were on, Slab vs wood.

I suspect the cheap Ikea like stands with lots of feet on a settling wood floor would more likely be the source of the problem than the tank it self.

Agreed, but the tanks don’t come with warnings not to put on x type of floors etc. and moreover if RS is aware of issues even in very specific situations that may not be directly related to the tank they should communicate with their customers.

A specific flaw/issue and even a systemic flaw communicated well is much better (and cheaper) than the reputation damage from a cover up...learning that RS is deleting posts with issues inspires no confidence in their handling
I have a 750 XL - is that evidence that there is no 'real problem' (no I dont think so). If 6 others have had a problem with their tanks does that mean I will? (No - I dont think so). There are so many variables in the mix here right? Is it the stand? The way the tank was shipped? A quick google search shows that at least 2 outlets have the tanks in stock and available for order (fishtanksdirect.com and aquacave.com) - BRS and Saltwateraquariums.com do not. So - seemingly they are not 'pulled from the market' as some have suggested.

Im glad that there is a Facebook page for tank failures - that will give people a better idea whether 6 tanks 'failing' is a 'big deal' - or 'normal'. At this point - I dont think there is any way to know.

I have a 750 too and I agree with you that 6, which btw was 2-3 when this thread started, isn’t a trend necessarily but the company deleting posts about it instead of at least acknowledging with a boiler plate statement sounds like may be covering something up. Is it a coincidence that major dealers are also out of stock of 750s? I don’t know, but RS is surely not inspiring confidence with their behavior at this point. I’ve emailed them over a week ago and got no response.

Yes perhaps acknowledging there’s an issue in certain cases would result in a slight dip in sales, but if there truly is an issue the damage to their reputation will last for years. Not to mention potential lawsuits, we all know the attempts to limit liability from resulting water damage isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: there are two main “Saltwater rant/scam” pages where people are able to post and discuss their struggle with a vendor or buyer. Now the pages have thousands of members- and much of the popularity was due to unfair moderation in certain groups.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: there are two main “Saltwater rant/scam” pages where people are able to post and discuss their struggle with a vendor or buyer. Now the pages have thousands of members- and much of the popularity was due to unfair moderation in certain groups.

Could you share or pm pls?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I’m looking for a new tank in the distant future.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully people continue to post about their issues on R2R as well. The new Facebook group is great but with it being private it seems it won't have the same spotlight on potential issues that come up.

To be clear I don't think Red Sea having 10 or 100 failures makes them a bad company based on the volume they deal with. My issue is the censorship which is either suggested by Red Sea or is carried out by overenthusiastic fans of the company. I appreciate this thread being open because to me it would be closed and or deleted if the same Facebook admin had the ability here. :rolleyes:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back