What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share or pm pls?

These are the two popular pages. (Ignore the 3d printer group, lol)

5B49W2K.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does anyone else find it disturbing that we are losing the right of freedom of speech?
Thank you Social Media.
We went to war fought and lost thousands of lives to achieve the freedom of speech.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does anyone else find it disturbing that we are losing the right of freedom of speech?
Thank you Social Media.
We went to war fought and lost thousands of lives to achieve the freedom of speech.

I don’t see the government violating anyone’s right to free speech in these examples...

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Social Media.
WE have the right to free speech in a public place. However forums, Facebook groups and all kinds of private places are allowed to do what they want. Keep in mind you are someone else's guest when on line. Just as if I was in my home, I can speak my mind and if someone doesn't like what I said or I don't like what they say I can kick them out.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 750 XL - is that evidence that there is no 'real problem' (no I dont think so). If 6 others have had a problem with their tanks does that mean I will? (No - I dont think so). There are so many variables in the mix here right? Is it the stand? The way the tank was shipped? A quick google search shows that at least 2 outlets have the tanks in stock and available for order (fishtanksdirect.com and aquacave.com) - BRS and Saltwateraquariums.com do not. So - seemingly they are not 'pulled from the market' as some have suggested.

Im glad that there is a Facebook page for tank failures - that will give people a better idea whether 6 tanks 'failing' is a 'big deal' - or 'normal'. At this point - I dont think there is any way to know.

While agree with most of this 100 percent it is suspect that BRS and SaltwaterAquariums has out of stock when they are dropped shipped.

Has anyone emailed BRS or Anyone on why? I think that would tell for sure.

Last edited:

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While agree with most of this 100 percent it is suspect that BRS and SaltwaterAquariums has out of stock when they are dropped shipped.

I noticed this the othe day that most Red Sea reefer tanks on the website say out of stock but in reality BRS never did stock them does seem a little odd

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE have the right to free speech in a public place. However forums, Facebook groups and all kinds of private places are allowed to do what they want. Keep in mind you are somone elses guest when on line. Just as if I was in my home, I can speak my mind and if somone doesn't like what I said or I don't like what they say I can kick them out.

Exactly. If I went down to a RS dealer and was in their store showing people this thread, they have every right to ask me to leave their private business. The issue with social media is that the platform often implies that it is an objective forum for discussion, but there is actually tons of corporate sponsorship in the background. This can be worse since you think you’re having these discussions on a metaphorical public sidewalk, but you’re actually in a private business that’s quietly asking troublemakers to leave.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed this the othe day that most Red Sea reefer tanks on the website say out of stock but in reality BRS never did stock them does seem a little odd

It could be BRS or Redsea may think it is enough of a issue it may need some investigating into it for now.

RedSea is a pretty reputable company..

Are they made in China? Could be a tariff issue too...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually very happy Reef2reef hasn't closed this thread. Usually the sponsor will complain to the forum owner until its closed/locked or deleted. Since they pay a nice amount to be a sponsor, they get their way. I'm pretty sure Red Sea is a sponsor on here. Who knows... maybe Red Sea is complaining. Either way a thumbs up to the forums for leaving this up.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have made by red sea is aiptasia X, so ZERO actual skin in the game here.
I know tanks fail sometimes and it isn't always the manufacturer's fault...
HOWEVER, deleting facebook posts and negative information is the WORST POSSIBLE LOOK for a company/manufacturer.
I can't say I will never buy red sea products, but this conduct will make me think twice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, but the tanks don’t come with warnings not to put on x type of floors etc. and moreover if RS is aware of issues even in very specific situations that may not be directly related to the tank they should communicate with their customers.

A specific flaw/issue and even a systemic flaw communicated well is much better (and cheaper) than the reputation damage from a cover up...learning that RS is deleting posts with issues inspires no confidence in their handling

I have a 750 too and I agree with you that 6, which btw was 2-3 when this thread started, isn’t a trend necessarily but the company deleting posts about it instead of at least acknowledging with a boiler plate statement sounds like may be covering something up. Is it a coincidence that major dealers are also out of stock of 750s? I don’t know, but RS is surely not inspiring confidence with their behavior at this point. I’ve emailed them over a week ago and got no response.

Yes perhaps acknowledging there’s an issue in certain cases would result in a slight dip in sales, but if there truly is an issue the damage to their reputation will last for years. Not to mention potential lawsuits, we all know the attempts to limit liability from resulting water damage isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

I agree with you - caveat emptor - do we know that its the company deleting posts, etc? If they are doing that they are 'stupid'. Were that the case I would take my tank down - tomorrow. (seriously) - its freshwater - but its on a level I wouldn't want 210 gallons of water cascading down.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Point being - they are not being 'held/stopped from being sold'

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I decided to give my Reefer 250 a once over. Stand looks fine BUT I have noticed that the foam is more compressed at the front of the stand than it is at the back. My tank does very slightly tip forward, but I'm talking virtually nothing, a 1mm difference between front and back.
After reading this thread, I may be being paranoid but is this something that I should be concerned about?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I decided to give my Reefer 250 a once over. Stand looks fine BUT I have noticed that the foam is more compressed at the front of the stand than it is at the back. My tank does very slightly tip forward, but I'm talking virtually nothing, a 1mm difference between front and back.
After reading this thread, I may be being paranoid but is this something that I should be concerned about?
Considering the problems reported are only the 750 so far I would not worry about the 250 at least in regards to the failures As seen in this thread. I haven’t heard of any other tank sizes that are leaking.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know that for a fact they are not being held from being sold?
Did you talk to someone form BRS or Redsea?
I have no idea either way.
Talked (just now) - to Tom at BRS - he stated initially 'if there was a problem we would have heard about it at our weekly meeting'. When I said 'its all over R2R - and asked him to check he did (because I said - the rumor was the RedSea was not shipping the 750 XXL) - he replied: "No one has heard anything at BRS. RedSea Said the tanks that had an issue were due to a crack in the glass rather than any problem with the tanks themselves.. according to Tom - they are not aware that RedSea has stopped production - or held production of the tanks due to this problem.".

My comment - he did not sound that convincing - but he did put me on hold for 10 minutes to check....

So if this is incorrect - perhaps @randyBRS will explain

EDIT - I did not mean to say that Tom did not sound convincing. I mean to suggest that he was only giving information to which he was privy. No problem with Tom

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you - caveat emptor - do we know that its the company deleting posts, etc? If they are doing that they are 'stupid'. Were that the case I would take my tank down - tomorrow. (seriously) - its freshwater - but its on a level I wouldn't want 210 gallons of water cascading down.

Fair point. It does sound like it’s at least a semi-official RS Facebook group though...

I still like the tank, not crazy about the stand and quite frankly wish they offered a better stand option even if it cost 1-2k more.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you are being paranoid - but - you might be 'correctly' paranoid. :). no one would know - except for you - and when you contact RedSea

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back