What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure it will come soon enough unfortunately. I've seen numerous threads removed or posts in them completely deleted for much less than what's going on in this thread.

@MnFish1 I'm certain that some forums indeed remove negative comments or information about there products, it's happened here a few times and all R2R has invested in it is income from said vendors. And R2R isn't even directly affected by negative information on a particular product or company, so the motive to censor negative reviews is more there for a page run by said vendor.

I've seen no real bashing of Red Sea aside from pointing out they may have deleted some posts which to me is entirely believable. Almost everyone on here has acknowledged that Red Sea overall produces excellent quality tanks and they have for many many years. The fact that these "Issues" (If there are any) seem to be isolated to the 750 line doesn't speak for the rest of the tanks Red Sea makes and I certainly don't feel like that was the intention here. Is it concerning that there have been a few failures, absolutely. No matter what brand it is, to brush off something like this as nothing is kind of silly when you consider the implications.

I think this thread is a really good reason for everyone to take a good hard look at there systems, no matter the brand. Check how level it is, Look for bowing in the glass or acrylic, check the stand for any warping or damage. And also look at any systems they have in place to mitigate any damages if something were to fail. Bottom line, no tank lasts forever and we should prepare as much as we can for the time that are lovely little oceans in a box bring a storm into to our homes.

This makes a great deal of sense... - at least the part about everyone looking at their systems. I tend to see a lot of people here (and other forums) - seeing a conspiracy behind everything. (Neptune and the trident, Mindstream, etc etc) - there is always a 'theory'.). Some of it may be true - but I dont think - at least I havent seen - R2R systematically deleting posts without clearly stating their policy (i.e the vendor forum policy - with which I disagree) - based on their allegiance to a certain vendor.

Last edited:

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts as I have read this entire thread, not that my thoughts matter but I’ll share them anyway. To invest so much time and money in this hobby and to suffer a catastrophic loss is awful. I don’t know what I’d do if my small classroom BioCube imploded, I couldn’t imagine going through this, as that tank means the world to my students and I. After reading everything on this thread I am genuinely concerned with the construction of the stands. Two things stood out, someone mentioned a Red Sea stand that the top sits between the side panels. That is very concerning construction. Second, I think someone mentioned a Red Sea stand with leveling feet. If one of these tanks cracked on the bottom, I’d investigate the stand. Just my two cents. These tanks are built by hand. Anything built by hand is susceptible to human error. When a company sells an aquarium like this (such a large size and price) they should have reps go out and inspect when a loss is reported. That is the only way to ensure fraud and owner error is not a factor. Other wise they need to eat the cost and replace no questions asked. I can’t imagine there is a ton of these aquariums out there. So even one that bursts is a problem in my opinion.

Lastly, the back and forth bickering on this thread, while entertaining, is bothersome.

:)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes a great deal of sense... - at least the part about everyone looking at their systems. I tend to see a lot of people here (and other forums) - seeing a conspiracy behind everything. (Neptune and the trident, Mindstream, etc etc) - there is always a 'theory'.). Some of it may be true - but I dont think - at least I havent seen - R2R systematically deleting posts without clearly stating their policy (i.e the vendor forum policy - with which I disagree) - based on their allegiance to a certain vendor.

I won't push the matter in this thread but the Neptune and Trident are a perfect example of this. They entirely deleted a thread started by Neptune on the Trident and when the second one was recreated most of the posts calling out Neptune and more specifically a particular Neptune Repesentative on things/issues were deleted as well. It's not always a conspiracy, it does happen, even here and it's one of the reasons why I haven't renewed my Partnership.

BTW, good to see you back @MnFish1, I hope all is well

Anyway, back to the issue at hand :)

Last edited:

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I didn't say you 'had an agenda' - I asked 'what your agenda was?'. You could have just answered 'I have none.....'

Haha I’ve never seen so many posts, or such a hilariously ostentatious focus on semantics, to state essentially nothing. People are posting here about 750 failures. These posts have been deleted on other forums. Questions to the manufacturer have gone unanswered up to now. Full stop.

No one is saying it’s an epidemic. No one is saying Red Sea is a company with anything short of an excellent track record. I haven’t seen a single person state that the sky is falling.

As far as I’ve seen, to date the photos and screen shots of conversations have all belonged to individuals trying to talk about the recent failures, and the difficulty with finding places to discuss it.

Unlike most of the people on here, I have no horse in this race. I was searching 750s vs waterbox 230 for my upgrade. It’s been an interesting read since then.

Last edited:

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mike.P remind everyone - what is the problem you had with your tank - i.e. what tank failed, damaged your property, etc. we all know - you had an issue with a tank that RedSea said was not a problem - and we know you worked with your LFS to manage that issue (by buying a larger tank)....

But - where is the evidence that 'redsea is censoring posts/reports' - yes - there are questions about it - but where is the evidence - you keep repeating the accusation? Believe me - if I thought that RedSea was censoring valid comments - I would be totally on your side. But - on the other hand - SOMEHOW - the information (despite red seas censoring mechanism) is out here now being discussed ad nauseam....

I didn't have a tank fail, because I wasn't crazy enough to fill it... And it wasn't just through the LFS that it was resolved, Red Sea finally admitted that the tank was faulty, after their initial response of "just fill it up, it's fine." You're welcome to go look at the thread I linked; there are multiple posts I put up there, with dozens of photos. Then tell me if you would run that tank at your house.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it will come soon enough unfortunately. I've seen numerous threads removed or posts in them completely deleted for much less than what's going on in this thread.

@MnFish1 I'm certain that some forums indeed remove negative comments or information about there products, it's happened here a few times and all R2R has invested in it is income from said vendors. And R2R isn't even directly affected by negative information on a particular product or company, so the motive to censor negative reviews is more there for a page run by said vendor.

I've seen no real bashing of Red Sea aside from pointing out they may have deleted some posts which to me is entirely believable. Almost everyone on here has acknowledged that Red Sea overall produces excellent quality tanks and they have for many many years. The fact that these "Issues" (If there are any) seem to be isolated to the 750 line doesn't speak for the rest of the tanks Red Sea makes and I certainly don't feel like that was the intention here. Is it concerning that there have been a few failures, absolutely. No matter what brand it is, to brush off something like this as nothing is kind of silly when you consider the implications.

I think this thread is a really good reason for everyone to take a good hard look at there systems, no matter the brand. Check how level it is, Look for bowing in the glass or acrylic, check the stand for any warping or damage. And also look at any systems they have in place to mitigate any damages if something were to fail. Bottom line, no tank lasts forever and we should prepare as much as we can for the time that are lovely little oceans in a box bring a storm into to our homes.
Very well said

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, as a consumer appreciate this thread. It shows me that there are tanks out there with an issue. This gives me a heads up to watch such an ordeal, and see if it is addressed. I am a poor person. I shouldn’t be in this hobby simply because I can’t afford the nicer things. Alas, I am. And I do hope to one day purchase a better setup. I’ve been looking at Red Sea as a potential purchase. My house is a ramshackle and a catastrophic failure of a large setup would destroy my home to the point I couldn’t repair it (old trailer, unable to have house insurance because of a wood stove) so this is very important to me.

I don’t see this as an attack on the company. I see this as a heads up, there’s issues with this line. I’m sure RS will do something to address the issue. I’m just not a fan of them deleting posts. But I’m not them and if they make it right then I don’t have a dog in this fight.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts as I have read this entire thread, not that my thoughts matter but I’ll share them anyway. To invest so much time and money in this hobby and to suffer a catastrophic loss is awful. I don’t know what I’d do if my small classroom BioCube imploded, I couldn’t imagine going through this, as that tank means the world to my students and I. After reading everything on this thread I am genuinely concerned with the construction of the stands. Two things stood out, someone mentioned a Red Sea stand that the top sits between the side panels. That is very concerning construction. Second, I think someone mentioned a Red Sea stand with leveling feet. If one of these tanks cracked on the bottom, I’d investigate the stand. Just my two cents. These tanks are built by hand. Anything built by hand is susceptible to human error. When a company sells an aquarium like this (such a large size and price) they should have reps go out and inspect when a loss is reported. That is the only way to ensure fraud and owner error is not a factor. Other wise they need to eat the cost and replace no questions asked. I can’t imagine there is a ton of these aquariums out there. So even one that bursts is a problem in my opinion.

Lastly, the back and forth bickering on this thread, while entertaining, is bothersome.

:)

So you can understand the Red Sea tank stands on these bigger tank take a look at my build thread. A few of your comments aren't exactly right regarding the big tanks. There is an off center vertical section between the sump and dry side. This off center section seems to be the part causing pressure on the 750 tank. This is the area that most of the failures have in common.

The only difference between the 625 ( my tank) and the 750 tank is length and allot more weight. The stand is built the same.
The link to my build is in my signature block.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I won't push the matter in this thread but the Neptune and Trident are a perfect example of this. They entirely deleted a thread started by Neptune on the Trident and when the second one was recreated most of the posts calling out Neptune and more specifically a particular Neptune Repesentative on things/issues were deleted as well. It's not always a conspiracy, it does happen, even here and it's one of the reasons why I haven't renewed my Partnership.

BTW, good to see you back @MnFish1, I hope all is well

Anyway, back to the issue at hand :)
Yes - I read that thread - the deleted one and the new one. I think this thread is different - and I dont see any reason why they would delete the thread - or any particular posts - but one never knows. without changing topics too much - the one thread was set up for the company - and an official to ask questions about the product - and it turned into 30 pages of 'when am I going to get my trident'.

As some have said - I'm argumentative about this topic - not becuase its fun to debate, etc - but because I have 2 of these tanks and in the course of trying to get information for ME its difficult to wade through a bunch of stuff about this 'conspiracy theory' about posts being removed. if I've been arguing anything - its to forget that part and try to figure out 1. If there is a problem and 2. what potential fixes are there.

For me - I have been tempted (even before this thread) to take down my 210 gallon freshwater tank - just in case something would happen - it would really be a disaster. I wonder if it is worth the potential problem.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is interesting but now has become mundane.
A thread of everyone attempting to make there point and the real topic has been lost.
Several people including myself have posted in his thread, and asked.
How many RS tanks have failed.
How many are doing great.
This is the point of the thread right?
But these relevant questions have been ignored, because the couch keyboard commandoes want to prove something I guess.

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme attempt to get this thread back on track.

After some digging and finding the original threads on FB, alot of the failures have been attributed to the divider wall between the wet and dry sections of the sump. As the weight sags on the stand, the single point of that dividing wall turns into a point. The pictures being shared of this phenomenon are crystal clear - big red flags, clearly not good for tank integrity.

So I figured I'd take a look at my own tank to see if this fulcrum exists. Surely not, right? I know how to level a tank. I leveled, let it settle for two weeks, drained halfway, leveled again plumb.

And lo' and behold, there it is. It's hard to get a picture of it without removing the doors, but in person, its clear as day. The dividing wall is creating a point higher than the rest of the stand *right* at the spot of tank failure:

This is my tank:

pleaseadvise.jpg

And these are other concerned users on FB who have posted their own:

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many RS tanks have failed.
How many are doing great.
This is the point of the thread right?
Only Red Sea has this information (and people are posting individual issues that pop up in the owners group.)

This thread exists to talk about the issue. Any aspect of the issue. No one is attempting to define what and how we discuss Red Sea tank failures except people who seem to want to try and force discussion in one area.

This is a general topic on the subject of tank failures from the 750 XXL line and it will have general discussion on a multitude of avenues that discussion might go.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like the top of the stand warps where the divider adds support.. The center support is apply pressure to the middle of the tanks..
Wonder if this this is cause by humidity or getting wet?

In the one picture you can see right under the tank...

That certainly would crack a tank if I am seeing that right..

Not a tank issue but a stand issue...

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After some digging and finding the original threads on FB, alot of the failures have been attributed to the divider wall between the wet and dry sections of the sump. As the weight sags on the stand, the single point of that dividing wall turns into a point. The pictures being shared of this phenomenon are crystal clear - big red flags, clearly not good for tank integrity.

So I figured I'd take a look at my own tank to see if this fulcrum exists. Surely not, right? I know how to level a tank. I leveled, let it settle for two weeks, drained halfway, leveled again plumb.

And lo' and behold, there it is. It's hard to get a picture of it without removing the doors, but in person, its clear as day. The dividing wall is creating a point higher than the rest of the stand *right* at the spot of tank failure:

This is my tank:

pleaseadvise.jpg

example1.jpg

example2.jpg
Yup, thats basically what I said in a previous post.. but you did a better job of explaining the issue. Also that second picture.... ding ding ding.. winner winner chicken dinner... it really shows the issue.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my tank:

pleaseadvise.jpg

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

Wow, you’re totally right. That’s right around where that last tank failure sprang a leak. That could certainly also result in an uneven enough weight distribution to cause a crack.

I’d send that to Red Sea.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these stands completely constructed of plywood, or do they have mdf panels as well?

All I saw on the Red Sea site was “These tanks sit on extra durable HPL coated plywood Marine Spec cabinets for greater water resistance, with fully adjustable feet for perfect leveling on any surface.”

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is giving me a panic attack! I have a 750 XXL and now I desperately need to go inspect it, but can't at this very moment. This is not good... :(

Did I read somewhere that using a non Red Sea stand would void the warranty?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my tank:

pleaseadvise.jpg

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

Wow.... Thats impressive. Good explanation+photo. Im glad I just have a reefer 350 lol.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these stands completely constructed of plywood, or do they have mdf panels as well?
I can say the left outside panel and center support panels are high quality plywood on my tank. I had to put a 1” hole in each so I was able to see the plywood and density.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back