Whats wrong with my firefish?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really get a picture of it unfortunately but my firefish seems to have what looks like an air bubble near his back spine. It's not ich. There's no bumps, the fish is eating well and swimming. All other inhabitants are fine as well.

Best way to describe it is that it looks like and airbubble near the top portion of his body 3/4 way down his body (closer to tail).

No issues swimming and not acting weird, bur can't tell what it is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without a picture - it's impossible to tell - is it 'under the skin'? Could it be a parasite? An Injury? Is it getting better/worse/how long has he had it.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Without a picture - it's impossible to tell - is it 'under the skin'? Could it be a parasite? An Injury? Is it getting better/worse/how long has he had it.
It's under the skin, not on top. And he hides so much/lighting makes it difficult to get a good picture.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I say that he comes out. This is the best I can do. It's definitely internal, can 100% tell that looking at him.

Attachments

• signal-2022-09-24-10-01-21-000.jpg
    signal-2022-09-24-10-01-21-000.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 41

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's on the side/bottom of its body and is not necessarily in the same spot or is the same shape each day, it could just be food. If they swallow something big (like a whole mysis), you can see the lump move through some of their gut.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's on the side/bottom of its body and is not necessarily in the same spot or is the same shape each day, it could just be food. If they swallow something big (like a whole mysis), you can see the lump move through some of their gut.
Just uploaded the picture. It's up top on his body. Definitely internal, difficult to tell in the photo, but I can see it's internal not on the skin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As I say that he comes out. This is the best I can do. It's definitely internal, can 100% tell that looking at him.
Pic is very blue and best taken under white lighting. While it could be lypmocystis, it may be a cyst especially if under the skin.
In cases like this, Good water quality and diet are essential for immunity health and overall health.
Please if you can (before recommended treatments) post a pic or two a little closer to the bubble/dot and under white lighting. Assure both the lens and tank glass are clear for pictures

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic is very blue and best taken under white lighting. While it could be lypmocystis, it may be a cyst especially if under the skin.
In cases like this, Good water quality and diet are essential for immunity health and overall health.
Please if you can (before recommended treatments) post a pic or two a little closer to the bubble/dot and under white lighting. Assure both the lens and tank glass are clear for pictures
I will try when I get home. Getting that one was difficult. I introduced corals on Thursday and he's been a bit skittish of the new environment so he hasn't come out a lot to eat. Although he is still eating well. He also may have been stressed from all the activity when I was putting in corals.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just monitor his behavior and make sure it continues to eat. To me it just looks like it could be some irritation/reaction to an injury or something under the skin.

It is worth noting there is something called gas bubble disease, I have seen this once in my own fish (mandarin) when the heater malfunctioned and tank temps got really high. However it was more than 1 bubble. Causes are sudden/extreme temp fluctuations and I believe also excessive micro bubbles but not really sure if that is truly a problem in saltwater tank or not. I know people use to do bubble scrubbing so...

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just monitor his behavior and make sure it continues to eat. To me it just looks like it could be some irritation/reaction to an injury or something under the skin.

It is worth noting there is something called gas bubble disease, I have seen this once in my own fish (mandarin) when the heater malfunctioned and tank temps got really high. However it was more than 1 bubble. Causes are sudden/extreme temp fluctuations and I believe also excessive micro bubbles but not really sure if that is truly a problem in saltwater tank or not. I know people use to do bubble scrubbing so...
No excessive micro bubbles and temperature has been constant. I check it daily when I check my pH.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No excessive micro bubbles and temperature has been constant. I check it daily when I check my pH.
My suspicion that it stemmed from a nick or injury and will subside hence recommendation on good water quality and diet

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion that it stemmed from a nick or injury and will subside hence recommendation on good water quality and diet
Water quality is good right right now. Nitrates are about .12 my phosphate was .1 (api so not perfect) (need to bring this down, have an algae reactor on the way).

My tank is relatively stocked for a 13.5g. So really try to stay on my parameters.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back