What's wrong with my Mocha Storm?

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! The other night I noticed that my mocha storm clown fish was acting very strange. He was swimming all around the tank and biting at the top of the water.I had installed a new heater in the DT and found out it wasn't calibrated properly. The temp in the DT went from 76 to 82, which is what I believe caused the erratic behavior with the fish.

I removed him and my midnight clown from the DT and placed them in a QT overnight. The QT still had .5 ppm Cupramine in it as I hadn't broken it down yet after treating my engineer goby for velvet. The next morning the midnight clown was acting fine but the mocha storm was acting very lethargic. He was constantly sitting on the PVC pipes I have as decoration in the QT. I figured it was probably an adverse reaction to the copper since he was directly introduced to theraputic ionic Copper. After getting the temp controlled in the DT I placed the clowns back in their tank.

Shortly after being reintroduced the mocha storm went back to flashing and biting the water. After seeing this I gave him a 30 minute bath in Formalin and placed him back in the DT. Currently he seems okay but is still acting rather lethargic. He stays right by the power head (this is where they have decided to host) and only swims around a bit. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I see no white spots for ICH/Velvet and he hasn't been swimming into the flow of the power head, just hosting behind it. Maybe the heat messed up his swim bladder? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've had this little guy for about 6 months now and I'd hate to lose him.

Pics

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question, but I can see if we can bump the thread to get you some help

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! The other night I noticed that my mocha storm clown fish was acting very strange. He was swimming all around the tank and biting at the top of the water.I had installed a new heater in the DT and found out it wasn't calibrated properly. The temp in the DT went from 76 to 82, which is what I believe caused the erratic behavior with the fish.

I removed him and my midnight clown from the DT and placed them in a QT overnight. The QT still had .5 ppm Cupramine in it as I hadn't broken it down yet after treating my engineer goby for velvet. The next morning the midnight clown was acting fine but the mocha storm was acting very lethargic. He was constantly sitting on the PVC pipes I have as decoration in the QT. I figured it was probably an adverse reaction to the copper since he was directly introduced to theraputic ionic Copper. After getting the temp controlled in the DT I placed the clowns back in their tank.

Shortly after being reintroduced the mocha storm went back to flashing and biting the water. After seeing this I gave him a 30 minute bath in Formalin and placed him back in the DT. Currently he seems okay but is still acting rather lethargic. He stays right by the power head (this is where they have decided to host) and only swims around a bit. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I see no white spots for ICH/Velvet and he hasn't been swimming into the flow of the power head, just hosting behind it. Maybe the heat messed up his swim bladder? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've had this little guy for about 6 months now and I'd hate to lose him.

Pics

Update: Day 2 after Formalin Bath. Mocha Storm is still eating but still rather Lethargic. However, he could just be recovering from Treatment. He's had a rough past few days

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back