Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who spend more time on here reading and answering threads than you do posting questions I'm curious what your approach is, especially when it comes to newbies. For some, I see answers that are brief and to the point, some are geared towards a learning path without overwhelming, and others I see 2000 word essays on the science behind the nitrogen cycle, for a user who impulse-bought a tank 3 days ago. I've been toying with the idea of a 'new reefer boot camp' that would look to develop basic skills and work them through how to manage a tank full of water first, long before touching on fish and corals.

So what's your approach? Which one is 'right'?

Do you try and adjust your replies according to experience level and learning?
Just tell them what to do, and expect them to blindly follow directions?
Throw gallons upon gallons of information at them and see if they can swim?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Generally I follow a few guidelines.

1) Do I know anything to add or help? If not, I'll either refer them elsewhere or bring someone in, but usually I'll just move on to next post.

2) What is experience level? Heavy theory for a someone who's not ready for it, doesn't help.

3) Will background help? I usually find that putting reasons behind a solution helps. Sometimes that can go a bit long, but response has been largely positive.

4) Did someone say it before me? Then I'll just like and move on.

5) Quote experts with links whenever possible. That's just good manners.

6) Try to keep my personal feelings out of it and stay off my hobby horse whenever I can...unless it's just that kind of thread.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a difficult question

I try and help people by telling them how or what they should do, but then I sometimes feel by the reply, or lack of reply it may be to detailed. But if you don’t give them the full detail it’s very easy for them to make a big mistake, which could have serious consequences to the system involved.

i think personally I try and adjust the reply to my perception of their experience level, as a direct answer to your question, but maybe with a bit more.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add one more thing..I do expect some level of effort on questioners part. I do not care for the "teach me everything" type questions. If it's basics I'll likely link to somewhere they can do their own research on. Also, if it's a very young poster I'll generally be much more patient when teaching them to teach themselves.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, it is a tough question to answer. While I don't have the time to invest to help out others as much as I would like to, when I do I tend to think that I'm in the middle of adjusting the replies to their experience and just giving them directions on what to do. Usually it depends on how much they are willing to help themselves and learn rather than just following an order.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a difficult question

That's kind of why I'm asking it. I don't think a lot of people stop and think about who is receiving the information they're offering. They may be 100% correct in their response, but that means nothing if it's being offered to someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is actually a very hard question: as someone who started as a marine newbie a year ago, here's my competing thoughts:

1) This hobby is OVERWHELMING and sometimes basic stuff, especially if the newbie is experiencing an emergency is the best way to go. Pages of theory are frustrating and sometimes create more questions than answers.

2) Theres a thousand ways to run a successful reef, but each theory needs commitment and consistency. For instance, do you want to QT like Humblefish, or run no QT like PaulB? Both methods have proof of success, but you can't really switch from one to another on a running system.

Newbies have no idea what they are getting into, and often don't have a plan for the system, which they really need. Recently saw a newbie post with tons of high end equipment, but had no idea WHY they might need a carbon reactor, or what it did to their system.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of why I'm asking it. I don't think a lot of people stop and think about who is receiving the information they're offering. They may be 100% correct in their response, but that means nothing if it's being offered to someone who doesn't know what to do with it.
I would agree yes, and I think your point in the original post about someone buying a new tank without any knowledge is a good one. It happens probably every day.

Problem is, if you advise someone to do something, without potentially giving them a bit more detail and precautions, they could cause a lot of damage to their system, and of course we are all trying to help them out

All I can do is try and help people as best I can, as no doubt we all try to do.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't know if the newbie is still in High School or has a PhD in microbiology, but generally by the way the posts are worded you could get an idea of how to give information.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay out the information you know as best you can, but let the reader decide for themselves what to do with it.

Don't push your methods on anyone, but also don't be afraid to defend them as needed.

Basically, it's a balancing act.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep thinking about this thread as I'm replying to others...

One other thing...I almost always differentiate between 'common knowledge' or accepted 'best practice' and what I do and why if it's different. So many right ways to do things...but I do tend to think that the accepted 'best practices' do increase chance for success even when I decide to go a different. I would hate for a newbie to read my build thread and think "hah, he lied to me, he doesn't do it the way told me". The corollary is also true, I rarely tell someone to do it my way or risk failure., unless I know I have solid proven facts and experience. That tends to make for longer answers as well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me - its important to explain why I prefer to do that or that. Or why my standpoint is what it is. Especially when I answer Newbies. After that - it is the reader that should decide what to do - as @Humblefish stated above.

My point of view is that it is better to write a long answer trying to explain the basic behind my advises - instead of pointing with the whole hand.

Sincerely Lasse

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One other thing...I almost always differentiate between 'common knowledge' or accepted 'best practice' and what I do and why if it's different. So many right ways to do things...but I do tend to think that the accepted 'best practices' do increase chance for success even when I decide to go a different. I would hate for a newbie to read my build thread and think "hah, he lied to me, he doesn't do it the way told me". The corollary is also true, I rarely tell someone to do it my way or risk failure., unless I know I have solid proven facts and experience. That tends to make for longer answers as well.

Just saying "In my experience" before replying goes a long way. Some feel it is self-evident and thus a waste of words, but I use "In my experience" to differentiate my personal experiences from information I have read (and am just regurgitating.)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've replied to emergencies, I tend to fall hard on my own protocols, then explain why I ask them to do things in that way below.

If it's a non-emergency, I tend to get deeply into the subject as best as I know it, (Not all of us can be Dana Riddle or Randy Holmes-Farley.) But I will always note where my own experience might be lacking.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that many folk asking will ask for many many answers or for one specific question. I try to answer uncomplicated question with a short answer and the broad questions with the most important-critical issues ( “don’t use tap water” as an example) and see how they respond before I try to supply any additional information. One question at a time, which is how I’ve answered here. I try to avoid multiple answers because miscommunication is too easy when a broad set of questions has been asked.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work is done here then :cool: lol

It doesn't apply to you or any one person specifically (ok, maybe one or two), but that was the whole idea - to see if people consider their audience when composing a reply and adjust accordingly.

What got me going on the thought was a comment I'd seen earlier this week. About 3 pages in to a question on something basic like water changes or salinity, it was pointed out that the poor newbie had been subjected to a firehose of information, when all he needed was a cup to drink from.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I hate to admit it, I think my replies are a reflection of the mood I'm in when making it.

I like when people use words I'm unfamiliar with. Because I have Google, and if I'm unfamiliar with a word or 3 that means I'm about to learn something.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my approach - this is like church. take that how you want. :p

I like this!!!! Ha!

Community, hope, love, forgiveness, caring, help and much more

Back