What's your daily Salt Water Reefing Tank regiment each day?

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 Things I do everyday...is this overkill?

Tank is a Red Sea E260 Max 69 Gallon Tank
Perimeters: 79.3 degrees f., PH 8.06, Salinity 1.0245, Alk is 9.968, Calc is 555, Mag is 1380, Phosphate is 0.06, Nitrate is 40.
Live rock, sand, starry blenny, blue tang, 6 line wrasse, 2 pjs, 1 bangai, 2 cleaner wrasse, 1 bullet goby, 1 dragaon pipefish, 1 blueline pipefish, 2 clown fish, 2 fire gobys, 1 sand shifting starfish, 1 sea urchin, 1 black spiny urchin, hermit crabs, various snails, brain coral, torch, hammer, kenya tree, palys, zoes, mushrooms, feather duster, hawkfish, cleaner shrimps, pistol shrimp (I think...I never see him of course).

1). 2 gallon water change per day.
2). Feed 3x a day, baby brine shrimp for the pipefish.
3). Test for temperature, PH, Salinity, Alk, Calc. Mag, Phosphae, Nitrate
4). Dose Trace elements 1 ml each per day (iodine, potassium, iron+, bioactive elements.
5). Make baby brine shrimp every other day.
6). Dose PNS Yellow Sno 2 ml 3x- a day
7). Does PNS Pro Bio - 2 ml 3x-day
8). Change filter floss each day
9). Clean skimmer each day
10). Auto dose alk (15ml), calc (15ml), mag (25ml) every day
11). Feed electric flame clam 3x - a day with live phytoplankton 1 ml
12). Feed Copepod hatchery 2 ml with live phytoplanton each day
13). Dose copepods with PNS Pro bio 1 ml each day
14). Wipe down aquarium glass if needed
15). Turn on and off JBJ nano auto water topper.
16). Spray Mangrove tree 3 dimes a day
17). Turn on and off the lights on my phytoplankton factory and copepod hatchery
18). Dose aquarium with live phytoplankton 15 ml per day.
19). Dose aquarium with PNS yello sno 2 ml each day.
20). Dose aquarium with PNS Pro Bio 2 ml each day.

And of finally feed the tank 2x a day, morning and night with frozen food (mixture available) and reef roids for the corals.

Thoughts?

20211127_104036.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes:

If you are already auto dosing the major and minor elements and things are stable, you really don't need daily WC. Even if you do, a 2G WC on a 69G is meaningless.

It also seems that some of the stuff you do is contradictory: flossing and skim removes a lot of the dissolved food particles that filter feeders need. Yet you then manually feed the filter feeders and try to grow pods. Dial back your artificial filtration and let the filterfeeders, pods, and other microfauna feed on the "nutrient rich" water by itself. Give nature chance to work itself out.

Phyto, dosed during the day, has nutrient export function as well, if dosing live, which will help with the above.

OP
OP
Victor Noda

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the Redsea refugium on this tank...yet...so no chaeto algae. What concerns me is my level of nitrates. It's 40 ppm everyday, despite my 2 gallon or 14 gallon per week water change schedule. I have GFO running in the back which keeps my phosphates at bay, and I'd rather stay away from a biopellet reactor. I do have nopos being dosed at 2 ml per day, but I'm taking that slow and steady for now. I do notice that my red cyano algae disappeared with dosing of live phytoplankton. The vessels i have to the right of the aquarium are not plumbed to the aquarium, I just want to have enough copepods, since I seem to have a pretty voracious tank that keeps it pretty clear of copepods (yeah, I've been doing the flashlight at night thingy, and I haven't spotted any, even after buying a whole bunch of them over the past few months...it gets pretty pricey).

OP
OP
Victor Noda

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its Chrysophytes and I think there is a great article somewhere here on this forum. Wish me luck!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back