What's your experience with Aiptasia KILLERS?

Do you currently have aiptasia in your aquarium?

• NONE

Votes: 362 40.9%
  • Very few, maybe one or two..

Votes: 222 25.1%
  • I can see several here and there..

Votes: 157 17.7%
  • I have quite a few and I'm starting to worry..

Votes: 78 8.8%
  • I have an infestation and I need help..

Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Other..

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to kill the overflow jerks I did it. I have never been so proud after fighting a war with aiptasia I think I rather get divorced. It is hell. But I had enough. So I had at least 25 big ones in the overflow. I shut off the valves so no water was allowed in the sump or coming from tank. I siphoned all the water out of overflow. I took boiling water several pans worth and filled that pig up and added vinegar as I went I let that sit for a day and a half. I than siphoned it all out. All dead jerks. Took a couple of hours. Wiped it down with vinegar let it dry and started the overflow. The war was over. I had won and now everything gets quarantined. Never again.
Think your right russel , but have a look at my copperband xxl....
Screenshot_20210325-080125.jpg

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the bleach method please;Bookworm
Took the rock out & bleached it. Tap water & bleach let it sit for a week then the same again with dechlorinator to try & take all the bleach out, then you let it dry so the bleach can gas off. If aiptasia can survive that, they'll survive anything lol I took the time to try a little bit of negative aquascaping. There's also other stuff I've been told about recently that melts them completely. Sodium hydroxide & calcium hydroxide. Fella told me about says he's been aiptasia free since he used it & they are cheap on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_121456.jpg
    IMG_20210320_121456.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 30

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 peppermint shrimp in a 23 gallon display

They decimated the aiptasia.

Then they started harassing my snails (cowries).
They also attacked some corals.

Then they started killing my snails.

This is even with heavy feeding.

I was able to trap 2 with a bottle trap. They are in my sump now.
I had to use a net on a third, they figured out the trap and would not be fooled.

The fourth is still in my tank and I am watching it like a hawk.

10 dollars per shrimp, but when they are killing 5 dollar snails for no good reason they make me go berzerk.

Peppermint shrimp are like fighting fire with fire. It can work. But it can also bite you.

"Less is more"

garbeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I purchased a file fish and within two weeks, all aphasia were gone. I did not see him actually eating them but.....

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two aiptasia I just noticed in my overflow. I haven’t seen any in my display tank. Can I empty the overflow’s water for a couple hours and dry them out? Would that be enough to kill the ones I see? I have peppermint shrimp in my display. I’m guessing they have kept it under control there.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two aiptasia I just noticed in my overflow. I haven’t seen any in my display tank. Can I empty the overflow’s water for a couple hours and dry them out? Would that be enough to kill the ones I see? I have peppermint shrimp in my display. I’m guessing they have kept it under control there.
I have the same problem, except, my copperband is keeping them at bay in my display tank.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish.
That guy was so dedicated that after he ate all the aptasia he went after my carpet nem. I now have him on call in another tank with only zoas.

Charlie C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found them in my overflow. If you have the right peppermint shrimp (the variety that actually eats Aptasia ), to control them in your display tank then you can turn the flow off and use Red Sea Fish Aptasia-X. I’ve done this recently and it worked on large Aptasia in my overflow. The biggest issue for me was getting my hand inside the overflows to apply the Aptasia-X. Good luck

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use hot water to cook it

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three aiptasia in my tank right now, one I could easily remove as its on a loose piece of rock, the one is in a GSP and one is close to some xenia. Would a filefish work in a 20g? with two clowns and a bicolor blenny.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had apastisa problem n the past and it really freaked me out. This time when I purchased my live rock I was ready. Bought nudibranch, file fish and a copperband. The copperband ate the nudist, the filefish only attacked the apastisa after I applied the apastisa x but the x got rid of All the big ones and my 2 apastisa killing fish must b taking care of any babies as i no longer have that problem. Just a note, don't try pep. shrimp w nudibranch as the shrimp prefer nudist to apastisa

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia are the only solution that fully eradicated my problem with aiptasia.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back