What's your experience with Live Rock Epoxy or Cement?

Did you use some type of an epoxy or cement on your current aquascape?

• YES

Votes: 288 54.0%
  • NO

Votes: 185 34.7%
  • Will in the future

Votes: 53 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We sure love to imagine beautiful reef tank aquascapes in our home reef tanks but seeing them and accomplishing the vision are two different things. Besides live rock one of the key ingredients for a spectacular aquascape is the epoxy or cement that holds it all together! Today let's talk about it!

1. What's your go to epoxy or cement when it comes to keeping an aquascape in place and why do you prefer it?

2. What other methods do you use, besides an "adhesive" to keep your live rock in place?

BONUS:
Show us a photo of your aquascape!

unnamed (62).jpg

image via @dragonfish

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue first and instaset. I have used epoxy for the first year before switching to emarco cement which I prefer a great deal more. Stronger bond and less brittle. Also it’s easy to blend it into the scape so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's good info!

I have had good luck with the E Marco Cement as well! Any photos?

Superglue first and instaset. I have used epoxy for the first year before switching to emarco cement which I prefer a great deal more. Stronger bond and less brittle. Also it’s easy to blend it into the scape so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb!

Rooki3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try it in my next build. Will use AF Polyglue by Aquaforest. Picked some up a while ago that I haven’t touched. Supposedly it is reusable but I think that’s a gimmick. Picked it up because reviews say it has a strong bond with rocks.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What's your go to epoxy or cement when it comes to keeping an aquascape in place and why do you prefer it?
N/A

2. What other methods do you use, besides an "adhesive" to keep your live rock in place?
Don't use rock.
pvc and two part called Habitat Black. the only limit is your imagination.
scape.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of re-building an NSA right now. My first attempt used the E-Marco cement (the cement powder without the bonding agent) plus Gluemasters ultra thin. Now this works quite well at holding rocks -- even very heavy ones -- in place. However, the powder is incredibly dusty and light, to the point that it very easily will get into the air of whatever work space you have. A fan or wind will carry it (not to mention you're going to be breathing it in -- luckily we all have masks around right now, so that's somewhat solvable). Also, without the bonding agent it doesn't match the color of the rock at all; it's much darker.

Conclusion: it's not meant to be used this way. Use sand or smashed up rock instead.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N/A

Don't use rock.
pvc and two part called Habitat Black. the only limit is your imagination.
scape.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg
How did you hold it in place while it set? Did you make a mold?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you hold it in place while it set? Did you make a mold?
the putty is sticky depending on how much folding powder you add to it while mixing.
the arms were made separately and then attached. as it's setting up you can still change
the shape by wetting it with water and a sponge. I made a rubber stamp from a piece of
coral to imprint it. there are videos on you tube showing the whole process.
if it's something that interests you in doing send me a message.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rescaped this past weekend, Marcos Rock Mortar is AWESOME... Used it, expoxy and super glue/insta set. Finally happy with a scape :)

IMG_1962.jpg

I used black sanded grout and lighting diffuser to hold together my aquascape / 3D wall. Then siliconed it to the 220 gallon tank.
Super unique, well done!

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank I used nothing... Just a big pile of rocks balanced on each other. I didn't sleep well.... Was that a snail falling or my entire tank about to bust open and spew 150 gallons across my living room?

Second tank, Most rocks cemented together with E-Marco mortor and a fiberglass rod in the middle. I sleep now.

Also, everything is at least 1 python tube away from the edge.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had the luxury of aquascaping rock that wasn’t wet. All of my aquascaping is done underwater in my tank. I use epoxy covered in superglue to join rocks. It’s super frustrating, but I can usually accomplish the goal. Here’s an old/bad pic of my current build.
0E62C9CE-1A00-420A-8E90-AE387511E845.jpeg

Back