What's your favorite aspect of the saltwater aquarium hobby?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all.

I'll start by saying that I started with freshwater tanks like many of you. One day while going into a LFS I'd never been to before, I saw the saltwater fish and immediately fell in love with the colors. It was the different wrasse and red mandarin that did it (I'm still convinced this is the most beautiful fish in the world). It took another 7-8 months, but then the coral bug hit me. That's when I started spending REAL money on equipment and livestock.

So what was/is it that does it for you? Is it the challenge? The beauty? The exclusiveness?

Bonus: Post a pic of your favorite thing you have in your tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diversity is what got me. Various corals and life that you can achieve in a glass box.

Attachments

• 20210410_152320.jpg
    20210410_152320.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 28

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all.

I'll start by saying that I started with freshwater tanks like many of you. One day while going into a LFS I'd never been to before, I saw the saltwater fish and immediately fell in love with the colors. It was the different wrasse and red mandarin that did it (I'm still convinced this is the most beautiful fish in the world). It took another 7-8 months, but then the coral bug hit me. That's when I started spending REAL money on equipment and livestock.

So what was/is it that does it for you? Is it the challenge? The beauty? The exclusiveness?

Bonus: Post a pic of your favorite thing you have in your tank.
Clownfish, and marine inverts.

I like corals and stuff, but really it's just clownfish and marine inverts that capture my attention. They are so cool.

I am attempting to make a coral-only tank now, maybe my view will change then.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish, and marine inverts.

I like corals and stuff, but really it's just clownfish and marine inverts that capture my attention. They are so cool.

I am attempting to make a coral-only tank now, maybe my view will change then.
I tried to do the same thing with my 40 breeder. It was supposed to be a frag/grow out tank, but I inevitably added fish to it.

Funny enough, the oldest fish I have is a snowflake clown. It's one of the original fish I've had that survived ich outbreaks, velvet, internal parasites, quarantine tanks. It's still kicking and I absolutely love it. Is it really a reef tank if you don't have a clownfish?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do the same thing with my 40 breeder. It was supposed to be a frag/grow out tank, but I inevitably added fish to it.

Funny enough, the oldest fish I have is a snowflake clown. It's one of the original fish I've had that survived ich outbreaks, velvet, internal parasites, quarantine tanks. It's still kicking and I absolutely love it. Is it really a reef tank if you don't have a clownfish?
Ahahaha yeah gotta agree. A clownfish is so archetypal it seems now.

My coral tank right now is gonna be a 2.65 gal, so hopefully that deters me from getting anything else except for the corals I have planned out for it. XD But we'll see lol. Totally get the inevitability of adding other stuff lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back