Whats your favorite battery backup?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at all the battery backup systems before the winter storms start hitting. And I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with them, in your experience/opinion what is the best battery backup for a reef tank?

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for any kind of extended weather-related event a generator is probably your best bet.
I was thinking that was probably the case but I need something for while I'm at work that will kick on automatically, keep the tank heated, and the pump running. My house gets no heat when the powers out so I'm afraid of coming home to a solid block of ice if I'm stuck at work during a power outage. 70s home with original windows it gets cold pretty quick.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with most consumer systems is that the heaters alone will bleed the batteries dry in mere minutes (unless we’re talking about a commercial grade UPS with racks of batteries).

I don’t know what your budget is, but I’ve heard that the Tesla battery systems are quite good. Barring that the DIY suggestion is probably your best bet.

Upvote 0

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I live in a co-op and no place to store a generator or the gasoline to go with it, I use a simple battery powered air pump. Plug it into the wall, it kicks on when power loses. I know it doesn't help with heat but at least it aerates the tank.

Any way you can insulate the windows to reduce the cold from coming in? Recheck the caulk? There's insulated things on the market to place on the windows too.

Upvote 0

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to electrical I'm clueless so I'd be afraid of burning my house down with a diy. Bet that would be the best route if ones handy with wiring.
Definitely DIY. You will save a ton of money for a better backup that lasts longer and will run your equipment longer in the event of an outage which will give you more time to handle it better.

You dont even need to be that handy with wiring. I built mine last month and it is a UPS type. I posted about it on instagram @doubleadeejay

If your not there i can PM with you about it if youre interested. :)

#freefluencer

Upvote 0

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course a Generator (appropriately sized) is your best option.

- Gasoline is a pain for various reasons (Getting gasoline during power failures may not be possible, and storing old gasoline for a rare-power outage isn't ideal either, especially with Gasoline with Ethanol during winter.
- Natural Gas work better since unlimted fuel

However here is a idea I'll toss out, that a bit different than a All in One Computer Type UPS.

For my Setup, I do have an inverter with auto switching (Kicks in automatically when power goes off, and resets back to power when restored) like a typical UPS, but I got a Camper Inverter and added my own 12 Volt Car Batteries.

The one above I got on sale for like $180. (battery was extra)....
Nice feature is it has a Built in GFCI outlet to prevent shock if there is a water accident.

Plenty of choices depending on your Wattage requirements on bare minimal survival running mode. That is what you need to figure out first.

These below models I think don't automatically switch over when power goes off. You have to plug things in.

Also you will note some inverters are true sine wave, while other modified sine wave. That's something to consider depending if you have AC or DC pumps. I have modiefied sine inverter and AC pumps work.....but it's not always the case for every appliance.

Depending on Load and Power of inverter and battery it does Works for short outages if heaters on the circuits, but to keep a few pumps going it does the job for much longer.
Keeps my internet router powered up as well so internet stays up.
Automatically switches to Battery if Power goes off, and of course charges the batter when power is on.

With Inverter like above, you don't have a built in Small Battery limitation like a all in one inverters with limited sized cases.

It all depends on your space and budget, and how much $ livestock you are trying to protect from Long or Short Power outages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at all the battery backup systems before the winter storms start hitting. And I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with them, in your experience/opinion what is the best battery backup for a reef tank?
My neighbor

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a ecotech battery back up on my MP 40's. Generator if anything is needed over an hour without power.
I have mine hooked to power my MP40s also but do you feel an extended power outage would be better to run the return pump instead of the MP40s? You can run the return much longer with the battery then 2 MP40s.

Upvote 0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely DIY. You will save a ton of money for a better backup that lasts longer and will run your equipment longer in the event of an outage which will give you more time to handle it better.

You dont even need to be that handy with wiring. I built mine last month and it is a UPS type. I posted about it on instagram @doubleadeejay

If your not there i can PM with you about it if youre interested. :)

#freefluencer
Could you post it in a thread here as well. Interested but dont do other “ media” types.

Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hooked to power my MP40s also but do you feel an extended power outage would be better to run the return pump instead of the MP40s? You can run the return much longer with the battery then 2 MP40s.
Depends on the return.
The vortechs are 12v and the vectra has 36v windings.
I have a vectra s2 with 2x 312v 35ah batteries powering it and my mp10s have 1x 12v 35ah powering it.
Im using a DIY configuration with the factory cables and my own batteries and charger.

Much longer runtime :)

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the return.
The vortechs are 12v and the vectra has 36v windings.
I have a vectra s2 with 2x 312v 35ah batteries powering it and my mp10s have 1x 12v 35ah powering it.
Im using a DIY configuration with the factory cables and my own batteries and charger.

Much longer runtime :)
Cool info, we really dont get a lot of extended power outages where I am at in Cali but better safe then sorry. Generator is certainly the best option. I am running a Vectra M2 return but have my battery connected to the MP40s. I also have a battery operated air stone. The longest we have been without power was maybe 8 hours which is minimal in the big scheme of things around the country. If I had the money I would do the power wall also in conjunction with my solar panels. I am a firm believer in redundancy.

Upvote 0

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if my only option was my battery backup, then yes I would back up the return pump instead of the Mp 40’s.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to distract from your thread OP. Here is my battery back up. I just used heavy duty velcro tape to attach it to the cabinet.

20211012_084251.jpg

Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator. 12 volt batteries with an inverter will work as well. Several batteries in sequence will deliver a surprising amount of power.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back