What's Your Favorite Fish?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's your favorite fish in your current tank or a must have in your future tank? Please share a picture and story if you'd like :) #608Reefers

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many to choose from but not enough space for all of them. 30 years ago had 2 small seahorses, a small yellow tang and a cow fish.

The tank being planned will hopefully be a split 180 (120/60). The seahorse side I am looking at a pair of dark/silver saddleback Erectus. The main tank I would like a tang again but also looking at a Rock Beauty and a Coral Beauty.
1618439614190.jpeg

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, it looks like I may have ordered my favorite fish yesterday :) Even though it's nearly impossible for me to choose just 1 as well, it would definitely have to be a tang. In this case it is the Powder Blue. I will be treating this fish in qt and then adding it to our main display with a yellow and a yellow eye kole tang at the same time. I will have pictures of my specific fish on Wednesday!

Acanthurus_leucosternon_01.JPG

Last edited:

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like I may have ordered my favorite fish yesterday :)
Where did you order him from?

So here's the thing, some of my favorite fish have long moved on to blue oceans. I'm not much of a photographer so I rarely take pictures.

I'd probably not try these again for various reasons:
Favorite fish:
Sargassum fish (Histrio histrio) - Kept him in a sargassum tank that I replenished the seaweed every few weeks. Ambush predator, prehensile pectoral fins, Best camo I've ever seen. You could be staring directly at the fish and not see it. Below is a wiki picture since I have none.

1618840399964.png

Queen angel: My brother caught me a juvi. So beautiful. Then it decided to go carpet surfing :( I still want a angel of sorts, anyone know of one for a 125 G that won't tear my lps and sps to shreds?

Fish that I'm chasing:
Anthias - I haven't gotten one yet, I hear they require frequent feeding. Would love to get one, but still doing a little more research on the best way to feed through the day. Anyone use an automatic feeder for these guys?

Purple tang - Pricey fish, agressive. Will likely be one of the last I add.

Also note that some of my favorite fish are not tied to the species but the individual fish. For example, my first midas blenny was awesome. He'd come up to the glass when I was near, follow my finger for food. Absolute gem. My current midas is a chicken who bullies my clowns as if 125 gallons wasn't big enough. For whatever reason those 3 fish hang out in roughly the same 10 gallons of the entire tank! Ugh.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Where did you order him from?

So here's the thing, some of my favorite fish have long moved on to blue oceans. I'm not much of a photographer so I rarely take pictures.

I'd probably not try these again for various reasons:
Favorite fish:
Sargassum fish (Histrio histrio) - Kept him in a sargassum tank that I replenished the seaweed every few weeks. Ambush predator, prehensile pectoral fins, Best camo I've ever seen. You could be staring directly at the fish and not see it. Below is a wiki picture since I have none.

1618840399964.png

Queen angel: My brother caught me a juvi. So beautiful. Then it decided to go carpet surfing :( I still want a angel of sorts, anyone know of one for a 125 G that won't tear my lps and sps to shreds?

Fish that I'm chasing:
Anthias - I haven't gotten one yet, I hear they require frequent feeding. Would love to get one, but still doing a little more research on the best way to feed through the day. Anyone use an automatic feeder for these guys?

Purple tang - Pricey fish, agressive. Will likely be one of the last I add.

Also note that some of my favorite fish are not tied to the species but the individual fish. For example, my first midas blenny was awesome. He'd come up to the glass when I was near, follow my finger for food. Absolute gem. My current midas is a chicken who bullies my clowns as if 125 gallons wasn't big enough. For whatever reason those 3 fish hang out in roughly the same 10 gallons of the entire tank! Ugh.
Wow, great list's and stories! I’ve had good luck over the years with Live Aquaria, even with all of the horror stories around. However, a lot of my fish were ora, or divers den so not as bad lol. As for the anthias, i also just ordered a trio of Sri Lankan lyretails that i will be using an auto feeder for in time. I’m home all day and already feed multiple times per day but will definitely enjoy and require something automatic for certain foods. Keep the list's coming :)

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish of all time would be the achilles tang. I hope that in my new tank I can have one that’s why I’m debating on going larger for this guy. I just love the color and orange is favorite color. Just a fish that always amazes me every time I see one.
5B2B83E6-E758-401A-BF78-18A06FF66B21.jpeg

My favorite fish that I have owned was my copperband butterfly unfortunately I lost him a couples years ago for an unknown reason but I had him for roughly 4 1/2 years and loved him. I will be having another in the near future. This was him.
BC71B036-AF6F-423E-BB2E-7360862DD023.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Australian Harlequin tusk

1619139709479.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back