What's your favorite invert/CUC to clean up dirty sand in a well established tank?

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g a little over a year old. I have gotten things to a pretty stable spot for the most part, but my sand is still a bit dirty. I'd rather not use chemical treatments, as it's not posing any issues to the tank. It just looks ugly! I tried a goby but had to give him away because he was constantly irritating my LOBOs and Zoas by dropping substrate everywhere lol

What's your go-to for this kind of thing!?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g a little over a year old. I have gotten things to a pretty stable spot for the most part, but my sand is still a bit dirty. I'd rather not use chemical treatments, as it's not posing any issues to the tank. It just looks ugly! I tried a goby but had to give him away because he was constantly irritating my LOBOs and Zoas by dropping substrate everywhere lol

What's your go-to for this kind of thing!?
Sea Cucumber.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crab by far and also nassarius.

My pitho always buries himself halfway in the sand and consumes everything. He’s one of the most effective I’ve got.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My engineer goby does a great job, now that's he's settled in he doesn't destroy everything daily like he did initially. I also have 3 super tongan nassarius snails and used to have a fighting conch but a hermit took him out.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is this really small hermit crab that loves sifting sand. I don’t really know its proper name but it looks like this. Sorry for the poor quality but they stay really tiny about 5-7cm. They have this feeler/antennae which they use for filter feeding too.

C72A67CF-76AE-4520-A76A-F477DB159CEA.jpeg 1699245E-6C0E-4C1D-8A00-D9D5FB71FE4D.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back