What's your favorite LED on the market right now?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high would you recommend mounting the Mitras. Any other settings recommendation? I am wondering if I should go with them for my next tank. I really like my XR15 G5 Blue with diffuser, but I am planning on a 3’ long tank next.
I run mine about 12" off the water, and the reason I chose these over the Radions is you do not need the diffuser to help with the lighting, as the Mitra's use a parabolic deflector like a lot of M/H light housings use, and this way you get better light coverage, and great shimmer without the disco ball effect. They ae both great lights, and I have had both lights and currently set up my sisters 1000 gal. system using Radions. But that was here choice as she bought them thru a friend of ours who owns an aquarium store, and has very little knowledge of the Mitra's.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Kessil shimmer
IMG_2577.gif
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people like this! I watched for a few seconds and my head hurts, that cannot be good for fish eyes.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people like this! I watched for a few seconds and my head hurts, that cannot be good for fish eyes.
I have kessil and they're beautiful.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's exactly how it looks in nature under surface agitation.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is shimmer really this bad with the orphek?

I don’t think the orphek shimmer is bad, I love it in my tank. I have mine 15” above the water so that’s going to help with color blending compared to the video 8”. I never see any disco effect or separated colors like I have in the past with old black boxes.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite LED is the one someone else is using ;)

The Straton and Coral Care are on the right path but there is no comparison between my old G5 Radions and the halides I have gone back to

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran halides I loved the shimmer. Nothing matches halides for this effect. It was one of the things I got the most compliments on.
If you've done any snorkeling or diving in the tropics you'll see the same thing. The fish are well adapted to it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran halides I loved the shimmer. Nothing matches halides for this effect. It was one of the things I got the most compliments on.
If you've done any snorkeling or diving in the tropics you'll see the same thing. The fish are well adapted to it.

Fish dont sit in a meter of water getting lambasted by intense shimmering light like they are forced to in these tanks. IMO the halide shimmer had a different more pleasing affect. Some of these kessils tanks its so intense I cant look at it for long. Just IMO YMMD :)

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dont sit in a meter of water getting lambasted by intense shimmering light like they are forced to in these tanks. IMO the halide shimmer had a different more pleasing affect. Some of these kessils tanks its so intense I cant look at it for long. Just IMO YMMD :)
I had a puffer nibble on my flipper in thigh deep water. I've seen a lot of fish in some very shallow water and the sun is pretty intense even at 3 meters.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shimmer can be controlled by the surface agitation. If the surface is calm there almost no shimmer

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go watch Jake Adams diving and snorkeling videos in the Solomon Islands and you’ll see shimmer that looks very similar to Kessil.

in this video just after the 5 minute mark he is in super shallow area with tons of shimmer and plenty of fish.

the shimmer in this one is extreme. Much of it looks very similar to Kessil or Red Sea Reefled shimmer. Especially in the 5:45 mark and beyond.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go watch Jake Adams diving and snorkeling videos in the Solomon Islands and you’ll see shimmer that looks very similar to Kessil.

in this video just after the 5 minute mark he is in super shallow area with tons of shimmer and plenty of fish.

the shimmer in this one is extreme. Much of it looks very similar to Kessil or Red Sea Reefled shimmer. Especially in the 5:45 mark and beyond.

Wow yes that second video is something else! Hurts my eyes haha.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back