What's your favorite "overlooked" fish of the month?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in their house...

20200727_162639.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have firefish. Loved those little suckers. I named them AC and DC. Went through a few pairs - kept disappearing. I never figured it out.... but my dog has developed a real love of sushi.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have firefish. Loved those little suckers. I named them AC and DC. Went through a few pairs - kept disappearing. I never figured it out.... but my dog has developed a real love of sushi.
Yep, same here. The trio pictured started life in our tank as quintuplets. Now we have screen on top of screen to keep them in.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wait those sand perch get big and mean. innocent cute fish when small but nasty temper as they grow.
Really good to know. thanks for the heads up. Hopefully he doesn't turn into too much of a terror.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of leopard wrasse.

Often times touted as an "expert only" fish, but are really hardy, and peaceful. The "expert only" tag comes from the picky way they eat, and often times will not transition to frozen food. If you can get them eating, the "expert only" tag goes away.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do very well in a very old tank with a lot of living food. They eat constantly.

VLR3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels! I know they can be ******s but they come in so many colors and sizes! I’ve thought about having an all damsel tank with as many different varieties as I could house.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a soft spot for the Philippine Yellow Brotula, a.k.a. "Daffodil Brotula". One became available today on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den. Here's a link: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/532398/yellow-brotulid . They're small (up to 5"), peaceful and relatively inexpensive, but they are also very few and far between. Weirdly enough, they also happen to be livebearers! The last one I kept was many, many years ago. It was in a 65G with a lot of live rock. I didn't see it very much after I put it in, and I eventually assumed it had died. A few years later, I happened to find a small fish fillet floating in the tank. I accounted for all the fish in the tank that I knew were alive, and then I realized it was the remains of the Brotula.

I sure would love to get a bonded pair of them!

I've seen references to a black version of them that are supposedly found in the Caribbean and up the Atlantic coast to the Carolinas. But, I've never seen a live one...

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels! I know they can be ******s but they come in so many colors and sizes! I’ve thought about having an all damsel tank with as many different varieties as I could house.
That sounds like a WWE Royal Rumble themed tank. Adding fish would probably feel like this...

200.gif
ultimate warrior wrestling GIF by WWE

wrestlemania viii wrestling GIF by WWE
ultimate warrior wrestling GIF by WWE

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Scooter blenny/Starry dragonet is probably mine. I don't have a good photo on this computer, but mines in my build thread. Mine was the first fish I bought for my reef tank, and he's been very hardy throughout, and has beautiful coloration. He just scoots along all day long munching pods and brine shrimp.

Also Lawnmower blenny. They are so full of personality!

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you had a screen top because those little suckers can fly. I lost one during a water change. I moved the screen only about 6 inches. He must have jumped while I wasn't looking.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back