What's your favorite "overlooked" fish of the month?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resplendent anthias have my vote, they eat anything and are fairly hardy, also the females are very beautiful with a yellow head and tail. The males are outright gorgeous.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobacco basslets are pretty cool and I haven't seen a lot of people with them

1605803027947.png

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobacco basslets are pretty cool and I haven't seen a lot of people with them

1605803027947.png
Yeah, many people are trying to quit.

Tobacco and Bass both from the underrepresented Atlantic!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you had a screen top because those little suckers can fly. I lost one during a water change. I moved the screen only about 6 inches. He must have jumped while I wasn't looking.
I did not. I figured that with the canopy - which was about a foot tall - and all of the lights, etc.... they would not only have to be high jumpers but pretty precise not to hit something on the way out. I found one in the overflow once, too. That was a nightmare getting it out.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Scooter blenny/Starry dragonet is probably mine. I don't have a good photo on this computer, but mines in my build thread. Mine was the first fish I bought for my reef tank, and he's been very hardy throughout, and has beautiful coloration. He just scoots along all day long munching pods and brine shrimp.

Also Lawnmower blenny. They are so full of personality!

I second the scooter dragonet. The ruby red is very colorful and bright. Just yesterday I added a bonded pair of red dragonets from LA DD to my Reefer 425. One is on one side of the tank, and the other the opposite. Hopefully they'll find each other soon. None of the other fish seem to bother them which is good. They're kinda small.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heniochus Diphreutes. (Schooling Bannerfish) This is a reef safe butterfly. they eat free floating plankton They are hardy and adapt well to tank life. I had one that ate out of my hand. He would swim around with his banner out of water at feeding time just like a shark. It was awesome. They arent shy and always out in the open swimming. With a big enough tank they will even school.

The only down side is they have an identical brother Heniochus Acuminatus. They are not reef safe and will gobble up corals. The only way to tell the difference is if you count dorsal spines or from their collection location. Most are labeled as not reef safe and sold as Acuminatus.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a WWE Royal Rumble themed tank. Adding fish would probably feel like this...

200.gif
ultimate warrior wrestling GIF by WWE

wrestlemania viii wrestling GIF by WWE
ultimate warrior wrestling GIF by WWE
I have five species of damselfish in my tank of 80 gal, talboti, alleni, starckii, springeri, and rollandi, one of each species. They nip occasionally at each other, but otherwise the general picture is quite peaceful... and very coulourful indeed

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five species of damselfish in my tank of 80 gal, talboti, alleni, starckii, springeri, and rollandi, one of each species. They nip occasionally at each other, but otherwise the general picture is quite peaceful... and very coulourful indeed
Fair enough.

My very first tank had damsels and, other than my domino, weren't bad.

The tangs I currently have are definitely more aggressive.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what age do the PJ Cardinals start having a very rough, worn out, almost zombie-like look? I see those in Google Images but I assume they’re very old 10 maybe 15+ year-old PJs?

Do some other fish like Clowns, Tangs, Angels, Gobies and Damsels etc. also take on a worn-out looks when they’re old?

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what age do the PJ Cardinals start having a very rough, worn out, almost zombie-like look? I see those in Google Images but I assume they’re very old 10 maybe 15+ year-old PJs?

Do some other fish like Clowns, Tangs, Angels, Gobies and Damsels etc. also take on a worn-out looks when they’re old?
Even with the most expensive plastic surgery, one cannot avoid looking worn-out when one's old...:)

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m opting for a somewhat similar setup except some of the species you mentioned aren’t common where I am. I’ll mostly be doing Hemicyanea and Parasema, one Cyanea and also tempted to add a Lemon.
just give them enough space

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels! I know they can be ******s but they come in so many colors and sizes! I’ve thought about having an all damsel tank with as many different varieties as I could house.
There are a lot of damsels - especially captive bred ones - that aren't a problem at all. I've got a C. Cyanea in my 40 and he's a cupcake.

(There in general seems to be less aggression in captive bred fish)

Back