Whats Your Favorite Surf Board (Computer or Mobil Device) to Surf R2R

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to the OP, I would have to agree with your son.

While intel pretty much dominates the CPU world, they are lagging behind a little known competitor AMD.

Think of this like our tank controllers.....
While the apex has all the bells and whistles and dominates the landscape(well known, many adverts, many people using and telling others how great it is, GHL does a better job and is ahead of neptune IMO, but it has a tiny market space in the US compared to neptune.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PC for me. I7 with 1tb solid state.
Faster unit than phone and better images in a 28” screen

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMD has passed Intel for cpu right now according to the senior techs at the tech company I work for.

Siggh if you're just looking to browse the web any modern PC will do. I would expect to spend around $750 and that will last you for at least 4-5 years.

I have a full tower custom PC, I rebuilt it earlier this year with AMD ryzen 2700 cpu. It's kicking butt.

Like another poster said, make sure you have decent internet speed.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run some boot legged OS's, I just bought a $20 copy (ebay) of win7 pro for this pc I use at work, I build my work pc's from parts, so I can stay off the CO network. Its the drivers and compatibility of boards memory ect. Ya it works but it could work more better.
just an average joe

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMD has passed Intel for cpu right now according to the senior techs at the tech company I work for.

Siggh if you're just looking to browse the web any modern PC will do. I would expect to spend around $750 and that will last you for at least 4-5 years.
The under dog always works harder! My home unit I always buy the latest and greatest because in 5 years I want it to still be a viable unit. It sucks spending the $$$ upfront but in 4-5 years I should still be pleased....I hope! :D

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W7 is dead in January, as far as patching and support goes.

If you do that at work build a nice unit at your house! You can build a much better machine than buy. Then you can upgrade it very easily. Mine is still the same case and power supply from 2012

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do that at work build a nice unit at your house! You can build a much better machine than buy. Then you can upgrade it very easily. Mine is still the same case and power supply from 2012
My wife is OCD for real. She cannot stand clutter to the point people used to think we just moved in the house ;Shamefullyembarrased
So towers with all the cords are not an option, laptops, I have a stack in the basement, are never charged or can't find the brick....Passwords:mad: you get it.
So a work station AIO really works for us.(me) Its there and working when needed. My last AIO was first gen AIO and it was buggy from the start, needs a hard drive (damaged) My son-in-law is the IT tech for a large construction co. Ill give it to him and my granddaughters can color on the touch screen :p
Thanks for the tips everyone.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now here is one I need help with! My sons cpu has an economy case and I thought I would get him an upgrade for Christmas I see ATX and E-ATX cases, so what's he need and what's the différance?. He has the ryzen 7

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eatx is simply larger. It allows to fit the larger motherboards. As long as the case can fit his current board, it will be fine.

You will need to know what mobo he has just to be safe. CPU doesn't matter for cases. Odds are his current board is ATX.

I have a full tower ATX case and it is plenty big. If your son needs the bigger board to fit more stuff on it, then eatx. For most people, ATX is still the standard as it can handle a lot of stuff. I have a ryzen 2700 cpu which fits into my gigabtye ATX mobo which attaches to my ATX case and there is plenty of space for what I am doing on it. The hardest task (computer wise) being online gaming.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Desktop & Asus Q551 Gaming 2/1 Laptop both a few yrs old but I can play games on them if I want to.

Last edited:

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Samsung Galaxy s9...I'm technically one of the millenial types and do a lot from my phone for both my jobs, but I still prefer my computer keyboard and mouse in the end. I have one of hp's i7 2 in 1 tablet laptops...I never use it in tablet mode, even when watching tv

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Samsung Galaxy s9...I'm technically one of the millenial types and do a lot from my phone for both my jobs, but I still prefer my computer keyboard and mouse in the end. I have one of hp's i7 2 in 1 tablet laptops...I never use it in tablet mode, even when watching tv
I very rarely use the touch screen on the desk tops, more by accident when pointing something out.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W7 is dead in January, as far as patching and support goes.
I have several old pc's at work with different versions of windows, I have old PLC's and HMI's and the interface software isn't compatible with anything else. Some old Pentiums just get bogged down with win10. Again I'm no pro with the soft side.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new systems? I got the kid a 1TB SSD instead of the case, and a new Guitar :cool: he's thrilled

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back