What's Your Favorite Technique for Maintaining Water Clarity in Your Saltwater Reef Tank? Share Your Secrets!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's Your Favorite Technique for Maintaining Water Clarity in Your Saltwater Reef Tank?

One of the most important things for me is to have clean and clear water! Those tanks that don't even look like they have water in them are what I strive to mimic! So, what's your go-to technique for achieving and maintaining water clarity? Is it the use of specific filtration methods, regular water changes, chemical additives, or unique methods you've discovered along your reefkeeping journey?

Share your secrets, tips, and tricks that have proven successful in keeping your aquarium waters pristine and dazzling.

img_1557343244948.jpg

image via @Marco A. Martins

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could keep my flow down enough to not pick up sand my water was pretty clear.

I didn't run anything, but did have a MASSIVE growth of Chaeto in the sump, so maybe that helped. When I trimmed it, it would normally fill a black garbage bag.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
filter socks help tremendously. this is what i use, alongside two clams (maxima, and crocea).

I am thinking of making a small "power filter" in my sump to help keep detritus suspended/filtered. since the additions of the clams, they literally made my skimmer useless as it helped in decreasing my nitrate/phosphate to 0. even after shutting the skimmer down my nutrients are hovering a little above 0pp...now my sump is home to a massive bed of detritus hence why i want to make a small power filter. i occasionally go in and suck it all out into a dirty filter sock but it just comes back within a few days/weeks. i really want to turn it back on, but don't want to make it even more difficult for me to keep my no3/po4 up. my corals definitely have been losing a lot of color because of this!

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss all the time
Carbon bag
Bare bottom tanks
Sometimes polyfilter
Blowing live rock with turkey baster
Sucking up what’s on the floor of the tank when water changing

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back