What's your fish food recipe?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny when the guy at the counter says "you want 2 shrimp and 1 large clam?" haha
I'm lucky, we have a ethnic seafood store near my home (caters to Filipino's and Koreans). My fresh seafood request is low key. Some of the stuff I see makes me go what the heck, your eating that, lol.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean clam outdoor CA.jpg

I use these fresh and frozen. I used to make my own cubes but I got too lazy and it wasn't welcome much in the family fridge. When I catch fish, or go fishing on a charter it can be easy to get fish eggs & organs. At night, the plankton will swarm around the boat and I used to bring home gallons of planktonic swarmers of all kinds.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean clam outdoor CA.jpg

I use these fresh and frozen. I used to make my own cubes but I got too lazy and it wasn't welcome much in the family fridge. When I catch fish, or go fishing on a charter it can be easy to get fish eggs & organs. At night, the plankton will swarm around the boat and I used to bring home gallons of planktonic swarmers of all kinds.
Same when I'm on a charter... I'm all about that chum.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait till the wife is away for the weekend, then walk through the Korean grocery sea food section for a variety of clams/mussels/conch/whitefish/shrimp/little bit of fish skin and anything else that looks fresh, sushi wrap bit of garlic, and use the old coffee grinder.
Freeze in thin sheets in baggies and feed it daily with other frozen commercial cubes
yum

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a 10# bag of a frozen mixture of seafood that is used to make Seafood Bisque. Cost around $15 last time I bought a bag which has been almost a year. It contains clams, crabs, lobster, shrimp, whitefish, salmon, octopus and mussels.
About once a month I fill a magic bullet container full, let it thaw. Drain. Add a spoonful of fresh garlic, 20 drops of Selcom, spiritual powder, a scoop of Reef Roids and half a sheet of nori. Blend in the magic bullet for about 10-15 seconds. Place it in a quart ziplock bag and put in freezer. Next day cut up into cubes and place in container then back into freezer.
400 gallon mixed reef that is very heavy stocked. My fish, about 70 of them all go crazy for it. New additions always start eating it almost immediately. My corals have much better coloration as they are getting the needed food with every feeding. Don't have to worry about spot feeding them anymore either. I no longer have issues with phosphate or nitrates spikes like I had when I would spot feed.
I was going through 2 packages of Rods Reef and other food per month which cost over $40 per month. I have around $30 into all my ingredients and figure it will last me over 2 years at the current rate. And all inhabitants in my tank seem much healthier and I know what they are eating.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I buy a 10# bag of a frozen mixture of seafood that is used to make Seafood Bisque. Cost around $15 last time I bought a bag which has been almost a year. It contains clams, crabs, lobster, shrimp, whitefish, salmon, octopus and mussels.
About once a month I fill a magic bullet container full, let it thaw. Drain. Add a spoonful of fresh garlic, 20 drops of Selcom, spiritual powder, a scoop of Reef Roids and half a sheet of nori. Blend in the magic bullet for about 10-15 seconds. Place it in a quart ziplock bag and put in freezer. Next day cut up into cubes and place in container then back into freezer.
400 gallon mixed reef that is very heavy stocked. My fish, about 70 of them all go crazy for it. New additions always start eating it almost immediately. My corals have much better coloration as they are getting the needed food with every feeding. Don't have to worry about spot feeding them anymore either. I no longer have issues with phosphate or nitrates spikes like I had when I would spot feed.
I was going through 2 packages of Rods Reef and other food per month which cost over $40 per month. I have around $30 into all my ingredients and figure it will last me over 2 years at the current rate. And all inhabitants in my tank seem much healthier and I know what they are eating.
I was thinking about those mixed bags of seafood, wasn't sure how the fish would like it all, squid and such.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 x pack of seafood/stir fry mix at the grocery store, 2 x basa fillets, frozen mysis, frozen bloodworm, frozen krill, a few sheets of nori and anything else I have lying around and in the food processor it goes, after a bit of manual chopping. 2 large freezer zip locks, flattened out on a cookie sheet
My battle, is to keep it from getting too fine.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trader Joe's has a mixed seafood blend of raw squid rings, scallops, and shrimp. I'll be trying some of that next, after I go through my salmon and nori mix. One tip I'll offer is to place the blended mix (whatever you choose to use) into a resealable bag and press thin, so that you have a frozen sheet. Then it's easy to break off small chunks.

MeganV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, first time posting.

I most recently ran a restaurant (sold my business in October) and I have quite a bit of experience buying seafood. I just wanted to bring up the fact that a lot of seafood is processed with tripolyphosphate to improve firmness. So, if you're concerned with increasing phosphate levels unnecessarily, you'll want to watch out for that. Anything packaged should have it listed on the ingredients.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those who use raw shrimp do you use the shell or throw it away? I’ve read both and I don’t know if I should throw the shells away.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those who use raw shrimp do you use the shell or throw it away? I’ve read both and I don’t know if I should throw the shells away.
I’ve always thrown the shells away. The process of making it kind of sucks but is completely worth it in the end. Every fish I’ve ever had loves it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thrown the shells away. The process of making it kind of sucks but is completely worth it in the end. Every fish I’ve ever had loves it.
I just got done shelling the shrimp, and getting the meat out of the clams, oysters, and mussels. I’m probably going to wait until my wife, who hates seafood, isn’t near the kitchen before I get the food processor out.

I’ve been talking about making my own for a long time. I’m kind of excited to try it out.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done shelling the shrimp, and getting the meat out of the clams, oysters, and mussels. I’m probably going to wait until my wife, who hates seafood, isn’t near the kitchen before I get the food processor out.

I’ve been talking about making my own for a long time. I’m kind of excited to try it out.
Yeah I have to wait until my family is out of the house for a couple hours also. It does smell up the house quite bad. I’m allergic to shellfish also so it’s a bit of a challenge but I still find it worth it. My wife thinks I’m crazy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back