What's your go to clean up crew inverts?

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just wondering what everyone uses at their go to CUC... Any favourites or must haves? Also any steer clear critters?

I have to say my go to is generally troccus snails, Mexican turbo snails, nassarius snails, an emerald crab, conchs not a huge hermit fan but usually have one or two red legs n a few dwarf blue legs but if the Reds get aggressive they go to the naughty sump. I also do like a tuxedo or purple urchin for lawn mowing skills.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of cerith snails and assorted hermit crabs, but for algea my turbo snails do the best. If something were to die in the tank it is the hermit crabs that take care of it.
Now if I could just get the hermits crabs to quit killing my turbo snails. I have to buy a few new turbos periodically.

OP
OP
KarlsReef

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of cerith snails and assorted hermit crabs, but for algea my turbo snails do the best. If something were to die in the tank it is the hermit crabs that take care of it.
Now if I could just get the hermits crabs to quit killing my turbo snails. I have to buy a few new turbos periodically.
I tend to fall out with hermits due to their murderous tendencies. Cerith's actually had a few when I started the tank nearly 3 years ago, there seems to be a couple still knocking around.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to fall out with hermits due to their murderous tendencies. Cerith's actually had a few when I started the tank nearly 3 years ago, there seems to be a couple still knocking around.
I agree hermits are jerks but they're good about getting anything dead and I will see mine pick at rocks frequently. They will kill my turbos and not even use the shell. I swear they kill them for sport (probably for food in honesty).

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conches and saltwater mollies

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixture of snail species, mixture of hermits, tuxedo urchins, conches, and just recently, a sea hare, which seem to be the only invert that will eat the longer algae like GHA.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trochus and cerith for snails. If you have sand, then a conch or two. Urchins are great but corals must be secured. While not an invert, do not overlook good clean up fish. They can do more snails and be a great aid

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbos , trochus , cerith ,conch, nassarius for snail .no crabs for me as they have inadvertently or intentionally hurt or killed some expensive mushroom coral .I also had a tuxedo urchin which was nice to watch wearing coral and stuff on its back but got rid of it when I watched It tearing up a path thru my clove polyps . So to answer your question I personally use the snails I’ve listed and they seem to do a good job .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back