What's your go to for tank lids?

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I got a new light today, which will result in me having to change the lid I use on my main reef tank. I'm curious on where the community's heads are at in terms of they're preferred lid material? I've seen glass, acrylic, egg crate, etc. What types of lids would you recommend I look into with the new light?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an aluminum window frame kit in white and a roller from Walmart. The mesh and plastic holders I ordered from BRS. I don't think you can do it much cheaper and it turned out well.
Same here -- clear mesh from Amazon and window screen frame from Lowe's.

Easy for rectangles. More of a challenge for more complex protrusions on the back of the tank (if you have any) -- I have a clear, acrylic strip at the back with cutouts for HOBs and then my mesh/frame is rectangular and just butts up against that.

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Easy for rectangles. More of a challenge for more complex protrusions on the back of the tank (if you have any) -- I have a clear, acrylic strip at the back with cutouts for HOBs and then my mesh/frame is rectangular and just butts up against that.
Yeah I have a HOB filter currently. Never thought of a screen/mesh material.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD Jumpguard Pro is by far the best value and least visible. It's a simple black frame you cut to size and has black mesh. I have had multiple lids, including custom made expensive ones, you can barely see the DD. Black mesh doesn't reflect light like clear does.

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea kit - it's OK, not great and a bit of a pain to get perfect. I actually bought two kits and made four smaller panels rather than one large 6ft long! Works better but not a great look on a rimless tank. If they would switch out the black alu frame for something clear/white plastic would look better.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211016_234756809.jpg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea kit - it's OK, not great and a bit of a pain to get perfect. I actually bought two kits and made four smaller panels rather than one large 6ft long! Works better but not a great look on a rimless tank. If they would switch out the black alu frame for something clear/white plastic would look better.
The Red Sea kit was great, especially ig you're like me and have several obstacles to get around. But one thing that's a massive pain is the twine roller thing they use to get the screen in place. One thread I saw, wish I could remember the name to give credit, used zip ties to secure the screen on the frame instead of the roller. 11/10 idea. It was so painless to do by myself and I could adjust it as much as needed, especially around those difficult corner area. It took maybe 15-20 minutes to get the screen on and was super cheap, the best of both worlds imo. Definitely worth a look, I'd rather spend the money on what's in the tank, not the screen if I can avoid it!

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried several different DIY ones and they all had the same problem. I won't mention the brands. They were too flimsy and eventually fell apart. I lost a coris wrasse and added a DIY top and replaced the coris wrasse. Lost 3 jumpers while the DIY ones were on the tank. The new coris wrasse, a foxface, and a coral beauty.

My situation seems very odd though. For 6 years my 36x24 90 gallon never had a jumper even with known jumpers in the tank.

We started a long term renovation and I move the entire set up to the basement into a 55 gallon tank. Then I lose 3 jumpers that were in the 90 gallon for years. I don't think that was a coincidence. I even (under my breath) thought screen tops were a waste of time, money, and thought they looked ridiculous.

For my new build I went with Top Lids. The lid is actually on order. I am planning on adding some nice fish to this tank and regardless of looks I don't want to lose any to jumping.

Learned a few hard lessons and my arrogance was humbled. It really hurt to lose those fish I had for so long.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing lots of measuring and seeing how an Aqueon Lid fit, with the hinges and the back strip. I went to a local glass shop and had glass tops made. So far, I’ve had three tops made. On the last one, I took the 29 Biocube to the glass shop. They made one that perfectly fit the curve. I don‘t like dealing with all the evaporation.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraken Reef has killer polycarbonate lids and really well priced IMO
this triggered me to go to the site and I just ordered one from my 15 WB - to replace the glass lid I didn't like much
Looks nice and the site is top notch
Thanks

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I got a new light today, which will result in me having to change the lid I use on my main reef tank. I'm curious on where the community's heads are at in terms of they're preferred lid material? I've seen glass, acrylic, egg crate, etc. What types of lids would you recommend I look into with the new light?

I've used both mesh lids and glass lids. Both have advantages/disadvantages.
Glass limits evaporation and is sturdy/prevents all fish jumpers unless there are gaps/can support lights or equipment if needed. Glass also limits air exchange, though, and salt/algae builds up on the inside surface while dust builds on the outside surface and both sides need to be cleaned somewhat regularly to keep a clean look and to not allow lights being dimmed.
Mesh lids allow for good air exchange and look great, but they offer little support and have to be fine enough to prevent small fish from jumping through. They require infrequent cleaning and are light-weight and easy to build yourself.

If you do want to make your own mesh lids with typical screen frame kits, let me know if you are interested in custom corners/cut-outs for 3D-printing (if you have access to a printer; I'm not ready yet to sell finished parts). I work as a CAD modeler and put together some parts and sub-components that make it pretty easy to make files for any size/shape cut-out or corner you might need. See my post in the 3D-printed parts archive thread for more information.

If you have access to a 3D printer, see my solution previously in this post if you want models for custom corners/cut-outs for screen-frame lids.

I may eventually offer customization and printing services, but I don't have my own 3D-printer yet.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this triggered me to go to the site and I just ordered one from my 15 WB - to replace the glass lid I didn't like much
Looks nice and the site is top notch
Thanks
Those polycarbonate lids look great and seem like a great customized solution for lids!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window screen frame kit with 1/8" BRS mesh netting. Mine needed cutouts for the Sea Swirls, so I modified the corner pieces to work.

Attachments

• 20220504_193753.jpg
    20220504_193753.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 60

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saw these guys posting in an IM owners group on FB, havent tried them but they look pretty good

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a kit from a guy on ebay for like $30 for my 20 gal aqueon frag tank.

I'm also in need of another lid for my wife 13.5 fluval but $100 for some of these is ridiculous. I'm sure its nice but its a $200 tank. I think the DD jumpguard looks the nicest for the price. Ill be ordering one for it.

On my 90 i use eggcrate for the top. Works great.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back